Hydraulic Disc Breaks???

• Next Page
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 14:27 Quote
hydro's are soo amazing. i bought a hayes 9 rear (hydro). i used to have a rear BB7 and front BB5. there expensive though. so i just kept the BB5 on the front because i tend to squeze the front harder. but hydro's do cost alot. my hose broke, and i messed up the piston and everything, and they were beyond fixing. so now i have to run a BB5 on the rear. mech aren't horrible or anything, don't get my wrong. but if you can upgrade, i would go hydro. but remember that they will cost alot more, and theres going to be way more maintenance.

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 14:32 Quote
i suppose my riding "style" would be light dh/fr. i plan to do a bit more this summer.
Stopping power is something i find VERY important. Razz

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 18:11 Quote
gtown-noob-rider wrote:
i suppose my riding "style" would be light dh/fr. i plan to do a bit more this summer.
Stopping power is something i find VERY important. Razz

once you've had hyro you will never go back! worth the investment even for second hands cause as long as nothing needs replacing they dont really degrade, and they are easy to maintain - change pads and bleed.

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 18:21 Quote
Only get hydraulic for DH riding.
If you're only into dirtjumping, just stick with mechanical.
I tried hydraulic once & when I put the brake on I nearly flipped onto my face.
But I guess it's be easier controlled if you got used to it.

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 18:21 Quote
KevinThomas wrote:
Only get hydraulic for DH riding.
If you're only into dirtjumping, just stick with mechanical.
I tried hydraulic once & when I put the brake on I nearly flipped onto my face.
But I guess it's be easier controlled if you got used to it.

Learn to brake properly?

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 18:36 Quote
man up and get hydro brakes

Posted: Apr 21, 2008 at 16:03 Quote
ahh, well my finance advisors (parents) have ordered me to stick with the mech.

oh well, thanks for the advice, perhaps i'll get a set of hydro's for a birthday or christmas present.

Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 3:58 Quote
dnt let ur mum and dad tell you what to have on your bike

if its your money get the hydros

just tell them that brakes are for your safty and the more powerfull brakes you have the safer you will be
its like a helmet you wouldent go out with no brakes any more than you would go out without a lit on ur head

if they love and care about you at all they will let you have hydros

that what i think anyway

Posted: May 2, 2008 at 14:30 Quote
MR-STP2 wrote:
dnt let ur mum and dad tell you what to have on your bike

if its your money get the hydros

just tell them that brakes are for your safty and the more powerfull brakes you have the safer you will be
its like a helmet you wouldent go out with no brakes any more than you would go out without a lit on ur head

if they love and care about you at all they will let you have hydros

that what i think anyway

yeah. well i got the mechanicals now. maybe hydro next time. but i like your argument, thanks Big Grin

Posted: May 2, 2008 at 14:33 Quote
i got the avid 5 ball bearing, disc breaks.

Posted: Dec 9, 2010 at 14:42 Quote
cruelty-and-the-beast wrote:
Bleeding is very nessecary, It can be done on your own, but not reccomended if you've never done it before...and depending on your set up its something that maybe needs to be done once every couple months depending on your riding style/habits.

if you never try then you can never say you have done it before so just do it on your own very simple

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 at 15:04 Quote
Good choice on the BB5s, they are they best mech brake you can buy. If you are looking for hydro in the future the don't get juicys, I've got them and the are very unrelieble. If your on a budjet the look at avid elixer 3 but if you can afford more then get elixer 5 or elixer R etc. Smile Salute

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 at 15:28 Quote
Hydraulic brakes have way better stoping power and all the brakes you can adjust just for you and they are more responive

Posted: Jan 21, 2011 at 6:36 Quote
Barnseyhcxc wrote:
If you are looking for hydro in the future the don't get juicys, I've got them and the are very unrelieble.

There must be something wrong with your setup then cause i used to have juicy 3's on my old bike and they were amazing.

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2011 at 14:54 Quote
The title of the tread made me read it.

To the OP, those things on mtn bikes are called brakes. A break is sometime you do between classes at school, if you went. Smile A break is also something that could happen to a body part if the brakes on bike were not working properly.

I do agree with you in that both BB5 and BB7 are very good brakes, even though they are cable and need adjusting as the cable stretches. The Juicy's do have more power but some find them to be too on/off. If someone has Juicy's that lack power they need to be bled properly or have pads that are contaminated.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015424
Mobile Version of Website