Post Your Kona Stinky's

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post Your Kona Stinky's
Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 22:41 Quote
After dropping lots of $$$ on a new drivetrain, cockpit, brakes and a dropper post and rebuilding my Super T fork, I was blindsided by newly discovered hairline cracks in the rockers of my 2005 Stinky Primo. After Kona confirmed they have no replacements available worldwide I didn't know what I was going to do!

While scouring classified ads for options I lucked out and managed to pick up a gem mint 2008 last week at an amazing price! Just finished the build today, other than the dope floating brake kit that is on the way. Kona for Life, lol
photo

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 0:12 Quote
happystinkyman wrote:
After dropping lots of $$$ on a new drivetrain, cockpit, brakes and a dropper post and rebuilding my Super T fork, I was blindsided by newly discovered hairline cracks in the rockers of my 2005 Stinky Primo. After Kona confirmed they have no replacements available worldwide I didn't know what I was going to do!

While scouring classified ads for a options I lucked out and managed to pick up a gem mint 2008 last week at an amazing price! Just finished the build today, other than the dope floating brake kit that is on the way. Kona for Life, lol
photo

That's a beauty

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 4:35 Quote
happystinkyman wrote:

While scouring classified ads for a options I lucked out and managed to pick up a gem mint 2008 last week at an amazing price! Just finished the build today, other than the dope floating brake kit that is on the way. Kona for Life, lol

wow, yeah.....that's a fine piece of work right there. be interested in the parts list on it. tup

also curious about the spec on the rear shock (E2E length, travel, spring, etc...). I'm loosely searching for a used, but more adjustable, coil shock to replace the old Vanilla on mine

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 15:34 Quote
adm750 wrote:
happystinkyman wrote:

wow, yeah.....that's a fine piece of work right there. be interested in the parts list on it. tup

also curious about the spec on the rear shock (E2E length, travel, spring, etc...). I'm loosely searching for a used, but more adjustable, coil shock to replace the old Vanilla on mine

I believe it's a 8.5" i2i, 2.5" stoke Fox DHX. It's got a tbrracing sticker on it, so I think someone had it custom tuned by them at some point. Kinda like Push Industries but less well known. As for parts, I just put on a whole new Sram Gx 10 speed drivetrain and brand new set of TRP EVO DH brakes. They feel awesome! Also sprung for a KS LEV dropper seat post. Been wanting one forever, finally made it happen. Makes pedaling the beast a bit more manageable, lol

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 19:28 Quote
cool...thanks for the info stinkyman....! I measured my shock and to the best of my ability I believe it's a 7.875x2.5 (200x57). No surprise you're over the 8" range with those crazy rockers. I like the DHX and particularly like a coil. I keep my eyes peeled to see if I can score one but have definitely learned to be patient...lol...

That's a right build you did there. Mine's no where near as "set up" as yours, but she's still a good time.

enjoy !!!

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 21:47 Quote
I picked up both these rides about a year ago, when covid-19 shut most operations down here in the Seattle area, I wanted to do single track mountain bike riding for the first time in my life and covid struck. I have done 64 mile gravel double track rides a few times every year, John Wayne trail over Snoqualmie pass and back. I've been on 52 mile double track rides on the King Kikapu, and had the Stinky on Tiger Mountain and exit 27. So much fun. The Stinky still has the Dirt Jumper III's on it, but the Kikapu has X-Fusion RL2 ENIX (Velvet) 130mm (someone put RockShox Dart II's on it). Both have short stems and wide handle bars. The rest seems mostly stock. I did damage the seat post stays with my zip tie fenders, they sawed away that the aluminum, rotating back and forth. so I was able to get a replacement seat post stay four bar link directly from Kona. any time I mount stuff like that I biuld it up with multiple layers of tape, then mount the fenders. I can't get into the car or house with mud caked all over my back. These were sitting in someone's storage unit or garage after they used them for the first few years, and then they put them away. 2003 Stinky, 2006 King Kikapu. The sellers weren't asking for crazy amounts of money, found them on craigslist. Paid what the seller was asking for the Stinky, and asked the another seller if he'd knock $50 off the Kikapu. Kona's advertised weight of the bikes are 38 for the Stinky and 32 pounds for the King Kikapu, I think.

2003 Kona Stinky

2003 Kona Stinky and 2006 Kona King Kikapu

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 0:11 Quote
ScottD98045 wrote:
I picked up both these rides about a year ago, when covid-19 shut most operations down here in the Seattle area, I wanted to do single track mountain bike riding for the first time in my life and covid struck. I have done 64 mile gravel double track rides a few times every year, John Wayne trail over Snoqualmie pass and back. I've been on 52 mile double track rides on the King Kikapu, and had the Stinky on Tiger Mountain and exit 27. So much fun. The Stinky still has the Dirt Jumper III's on it, but the Kikapu has X-Fusion RL2 ENIX (Velvet) 130mm (someone put RockShox Dart II's on it). The rest seems mostly stock. I did damage the seat post stays with my zip tie fenders, they sawed away that the aluminum, rotating back and forth. so I was able to get a replacement seat post stay four bar link directly from Kona. any time I mount stuff like that I biuld it up with multiple layers of tape, then mount the fenders. I can't get into the car or house with mud caked all over my back. These were sitting in someone's storage unit or garage after they used them for the first few years, and then they put them away. 2003 Stinky, 2006 King Kikapu. The sellers weren't asking for crazy amounts of money, found them on craigslist. Paid what the seller was asking for the Stinky, and asked the another seller if he'd knock $50 off the Kikapu. Kona's advertised weight of the bikes are 38 for the Stinky and 32 pounds for the King Kikapu, I think.

2003 Kona Stinky

Super cool bikes dude

2003 Kona Stinky and 2006 Kona King Kikapu

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 6:00 Quote
ScottD98045 wrote:
I picked up both these rides about a year ago,........... 2003 Stinky, 2006 King Kikapu. The sellers weren't asking for crazy amounts of money, found them on craigslist. Paid what the seller was asking for the Stinky, and asked the another seller if he'd knock $50 off the Kikapu. Kona's advertised weight of the bikes are 38 for the Stinky and 32 pounds for the King Kikapu, I think.

Great finds ScottD..! Those are pretty sweet.

Sounds like they are serving you quite well Salute

Posted: Apr 24, 2021 at 20:11 Quote
I did a trace photo overlay geometry comparison of the modern mountain bike compared to the 2003 Kona Stinky I am riding, the ground contact point under the front wheel is the same for all bikes, Polygon Vander T7, Marin Rift 27, Vitus Mythique 27, Motobecane Hal Boost. The interesting thing I found, to keep the handle bars in the same position they needed to slacken the forks, because of the higher axle:

2003 Kona Stinky Geometry check to modern 2021 bikes Polygon Vander T7 Marin Rift 27 Vitus Mythique 27 Motobecane Hal Boost

I should have put a red dot at the most important location, top tube, lol.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 6:47 Quote
My new Marin San Quentin 3 Hardtail has really close geometry to my 2011 Kona Stinky TL.

Same length stem, bar height and top tube length. The wheelbase is a tick longer on the Hardtail. They both sit at about the same height with the stinky having a 170mm Lyrik and the Marin having a 150mm Rock Shox Revolution.

O+
Posted: May 20, 2021 at 20:28 Quote
Freshly built 2017 kona stinky 26.

2017 kona stinky 26

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
knobzy wrote:
Freshly built 2017 kona stinky 26.

2017 kona stinky 26
So nice to see 26 bikes getting the love. She's a beaut

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 10:30 Quote
that's pretty clean knobzy...!! looks nicely appointed as well tup

Posted: Sep 8, 2021 at 14:48 Quote
Project bike...

2005 Stinky
DT Swiss EX 471 27.5 wheels with 2.2 rear tire & 2.3 front tire
150mm Rear travel Shorter stock & stroke to lower BB & slacken HA
150mm Front travel Fox 32 15mm axle

Medium frame is way too short in the reach. Need to find a large, but it won't make too much difference I guess, these bikes were generally all short...
Old tube sizes also limit the ability to modernise, but slowly getting their.

Next up dropper post, angle headset, straight steerer fox 36 160mm (if I can find one) and a 99 or 2000 retro paint job and decals...

photo

Posted: Sep 8, 2021 at 16:44 Quote
I dig it man...! tup

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.032350
Mobile Version of Website