really stupid!!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
really stupid!!
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 18:29 Quote
my friend "fixed" his friends bike by super gluing the steer tube in the headtube!!!Madder


now we cant go riding (well i can)

and when he was cutting tred off his tire cuz it was rubbing... it made the tire pop.

im mad but gotta laugh because he was "fixing" my friends norco rampagelol


since he will be asking in 30mins how could i get the steer tube out of the head tube??

please need to get it out before she (bike owner) sees it screwed up!2 cents

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 18:32 Quote
ahahah, thats hilarious...super glued it...wow lol

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 18:33 Quote
i sense a darwin award coming!

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 18:34 Quote
i'm confused, so your friend super glued your fork to the frame (inside the headtube). is the question how to get it out?

well i'd imagine the only way, would be to put some bars on it and keep ripping on them till the superglue starts to weaken, but then your going to have glue covering the inside of your headtube and outside of your steer tube. so realistically, your pretty much screwed unless you carefully sand the glue off the steer tube, and i don't even know how you would get the glue out of the headtube. maybe an adhesive or something like that.

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 18:36 Quote
odin333 wrote:
i'm confused, so your friend super glued your fork to the frame (inside the headtube). is the question how to get it out?

well i'd imagine the only way, would be to put some bars on it and keep ripping on them till the superglue starts to weaken, but then your going to have glue covering the inside of your headtube and outside of your steer tube. so realistically, your pretty much screwed unless you carefully sand the glue off the steer tube, and i don't even know how you would get the glue out of the headtube. maybe an adhesive or something like that.

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 19:20 Quote
any other way to get it out cuz its not moving?

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 19:23 Quote
catznoble wrote:
any other way to get it out cuz its not moving?

have you tried any chemicals or solutions on it?

and if you do be careful that they are not corrosive

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 19:23 Quote
Take a block of wood about 4inches by 4 inches by 2ish inches thick, place it on top of the steerer, and hammer the block of wood. It will only get the steerer fluch with the headtube, but it should break the grip of the glue.

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 19:24 Quote
or take the stem off and put a rag over the steer tube and hammer it. Put the stem back on and twist every once in a while

and be careful not to mushroom the steer tube

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 19:26 Quote
street55dirt wrote:
or take the stem off and put a rag over the steer tube and hammer it. Put the stem back on and twist every once in a while

and be careful not to mushroom the steer tube
That's what the block of wood is for. You take off the stem and put the wood right onto the steerer. The wood is softer so it will be damaged, not the fork.

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 19:30 Quote
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
street55dirt wrote:
or take the stem off and put a rag over the steer tube and hammer it. Put the stem back on and twist every once in a while

and be careful not to mushroom the steer tube
That's what the block of wood is for. You take off the stem and put the wood right onto the steerer. The wood is softer so it will be damaged, not the fork.

i was thinking along the same lines of you

your way is better

the second i read your post i was like i should have thought of that!


for sure use the wood

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 19:38 Quote
yea, the wood would be the best bet, if it doesnt work you would have to do it chemicaly and risk loosing some paint

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 19:42 Quote
superglue isn't that badass on smooth surfaces. if you crack it loose with the mallet and wood, i bet you could flake it off real easy. maybe you would need a razor to carefully scrape it off but you may be ok on this one

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 19:43 Quote
is it an epoxy or like wood glue?

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 9:55 Quote
street55dirt wrote:
is it an epoxy or like wood glue?

it is a epoxy (got it from his dads work).... banging away at it and it wont budge!?

i dont want to ruin the fork cuz it is a fox 36 something....

when she walked in she didnt notice the bike so i got a little more time!


ANY OTHER WAYS!!!!

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013084
Mobile Version of Website