really stupid!!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
really stupid!!
Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 10:10 Quote
What exactly was he trying to "fix" with glue? I've never seen glue used for bicycle repair..

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 10:15 Quote
SUBSCRIBING - let us know how you get on haha

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 10:18 Quote
YH ME TOO LOL
edit sorry about the caps

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 10:32 Quote
catznoble wrote:
street55dirt wrote:
is it an epoxy or like wood glue?

it is a epoxy (got it from his dads work).... banging away at it and it wont budge!?

i dont want to ruin the fork cuz it is a fox 36 something....

when she walked in she didnt notice the bike so i got a little more time!

ANY OTHER WAYS!!!!

try going to a hardware store and getting a chemical soulution

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 10:44 Quote
damn dude, sorry to say that you're well on your way to screwed.... epoxy is very hard to remove, if not impossible. i'm seeing you cutting stuff off and replacing crown/sliders and headset cups... your friend the genius is a f*#ing moron for putting epoxy on a bike.

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 11:19 Quote
you could try pouring lots of boiling water on it

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 11:28 Quote
Try the water, then while your hammering on the block of wood get someone to grab the very top of the crown (not the fork legs!!!) and apply rotational forces back and fourth. The combination of a downward force plus a rotational force MIGHT help break the hold.

I'd tell your friend to start saving his pennies for a new fork and frame though.

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 11:32 Quote
you know what , i want pictures

i wana see just how buggered it is lol

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 11:48 Quote
I want to see how this turns out. Please post pics.

What was the glue for in the first place?

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 12:04 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
you could try pouring lots of boiling water on it
no.
water will not do anything for you but make a mess. its epoxy, hardcore chemical bond thats stronger than the things you're glueing together. thats why its used in industries as the strongest adhesive available. hot water?!?! keep dreaming. start thinking of what you can cut to make the pieces fall out. you may be able to save a few things, but you are going to sacrifice some parts to remove an epoxy'd steerer.

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 12:08 Quote
DISCLAIMER: THE ACETONE WILL REMOVE/DAMAGE PAINT!!! so be prepared for that.

From the Loctite website

bigquotesEpoxy is considered a permanent adhesive. However, if you need to remove it, apply acetone or Easy-Off Oven Cleaner to the epoxy and let it sit for awhile. Eventually, the epoxy will soften and can be pried from the surface with a putty knife. Remember to test the oven cleaner on an inconspicuous area before applying over a large area.

Go to the hardware store get a lot of acetone to dip the head tube (the part that is covered in glue).

Let it sit over night.

Remove from acetone bath.

Put the stem and the handlebar on and turn with all your might and some. It will eventually fatigue and break away. Note to repeat the first step if it doesn"t break.

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 13:36 Quote
dipping a headtube with a fork attached sounds a little awkward, maybe put acetone on the affected area with a paintbrush every hour or so, so you don't have to dip the whole front end in. this way you might be able to avoid ruining the paint on the headtube as well. otherwise you will need a dish tub and about a gallon of acetone to "dip" the front end.

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 13:37 Quote
then go SLAP your little helperWhip

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 16:35 Quote
NB-BIKER wrote:
Try the water, then while your hammering on the block of wood get someone to grab the very top of the crown (not the fork legs!!!) and apply rotational forces back and fourth. The combination of a downward force plus a rotational force MIGHT help break the hold.

I'd tell your friend to start saving his pennies for a new fork and frame though.

first thing i tried with the water and hammering it out... no movement

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 16:37 Quote
oceen246 wrote:
DISCLAIMER: THE ACETONE WILL REMOVE/DAMAGE PAINT!!! so be prepared for that.

From the Loctite website

bigquotesEpoxy is considered a permanent adhesive. However, if you need to remove it, apply acetone or Easy-Off Oven Cleaner to the epoxy and let it sit for awhile. Eventually, the epoxy will soften and can be pried from the surface with a putty knife. Remember to test the oven cleaner on an inconspicuous area before applying over a large area.

Go to the hardware store get a lot of acetone to dip the head tube (the part that is covered in glue).

Let it sit over night.

Remove from acetone bath.

Put the stem and the handlebar on and turn with all your might and some. It will eventually fatigue and break away. Note to repeat the first step if it doesn"t break.

i will try that

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010581
Mobile Version of Website