Parental disproval of biking

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Parental disproval of biking
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 20:16 Quote
I didnt know where else to post this, so mods if you want to move it then go ahead.
but my theory is that I am in the health forums and this is bugging my mental health

Kind of a side thought but It needs to be stated:
My parents provide so much for me, they helped with my bike and my gear. When The baseball season started they ponied up $300 for new catchers gear and didn't even hesitate because they thought that I was going to play for a long time. I bought my truck using money from a Dirt bike that I sold, That they and I also went halves on. And they pay for my gas in my truck. So they do provide me very well. So yes i do believe I have some responsibilities that I have to fill. Chores, Grades, Right side of the law, etc. which I am better at some more than others. ( I am actually working on my work ethic and starting to bring my grades up, I am really trying to help more With my responsibilities around the house and I am good at not getting in trouble.)

Ok, so this whole mess started last summer when my parents and I split the cost between us for a Haro x7. At that point I wasn't as hooked on DH/FR like I am now. But anyways then my parents where pretty supportive of me biking. (Hell, the put down $500 down towards my bike) and I was super happy that they where that supportive.

That summer I was playing baseball all through out the summer and just biking in my spare time. Baseball then was pretty fun to me and At that point I wasn't as serious about riding my bike and was ok with my riding time.

And then baseball ended and left me with a like one month of summer with no sport s other than Cross Country training (running not bikes). So this is when I start riding my bike alot more and decide that It is my true passion in my life. And at this point My parents are were kinda Ok with it because I didn't have any other sports to be doing.

Then over the winter I gave up basketball for skiing, my other life passion. But they didn't really care that much because they and I both knew that I didn't have a feature in it and I enjoyed skiing more anyways.

But Along comes spring and I find myself between a rock and a hard place. Baseball open Gyms started during December and I went to some of them. Doing this I had intentions of playing Baseball. But then I also herd that Beacon Hill (our local riding spot) was cleared up. So I was then Going to open gyms and Riding without too much conflict.

Then baseball started and the riding season really started up. And once again I Personally didn't have a problem with the interaction, but It was pretty apparent to my parents that I would much rather ride my bike.

Then the crap hit-the-fan.

But in the last 2 months they have been getting after me about how I need to make myself better in baseball by working outside of just team practices. But in all honesty I don't really want to work at baseball outside of just my practices. And I kind of shrugged them off, Because If I had any free day I wanted to ride. And I have either practices or games 5 or 6 nights a week. So I was getting enough baseball already!!

Then Today I asked if I could go riding and they said yes. so I go and Have a great day riding. Come home and I unload and have a ok evening and then my mom goes off on a rant saying " You need to work on hitting and baseball and that you spent to much time thinking about biking and not enough on things that we want to see you doing."T hose where her exact words. And then she asked if I was planning on playing Legion ball during the summer.( legion ball is like a elite team that starts after school ball and I has a very very intense schedule)
And With that I simply had enough of there rants and bitching and I said " I don't enjoy baseball anymore, I've played it every year for 11 years and The last 6 years I have given up my summer to playing on a traveling team. I am burned out and personally don't enjoy it. Its not really something I can help, its just not something that I want to be doing."

Then my mom and Dad Both flew off and my dad was saying how I am going to have to find a job to pay for everything in my life outside of food, shelter, school stuff and clothes.
And then he went on about how He doesn't want me to race this summer because its to dangerous and not something he even cares about.

And then they both say something that hurt me, they both looked at me and told me that they where very very disappointed in me.

I could stand all the complaining and everything but for them to both say that to me, it crushed me. And now here I am sitting in my room wounding what in the hell to do.

Do I stand my ground and finish school baseball and then Attempt to enjoy my first summer without baseball? But I if do this I could loose much of my "support" (money for broken bike parts, money for movies, Gas money, possibly grounded, agreement to enter races, agreement to go places, etc.) If they did cut me off I know of a family friend that I could work for and Probably earn 8-10 a hour from. which I would be ok with. But This rout also makes them sad because I would no longer be playing a team sport.

Or do I attempt to play summer ball?
This would make my parents happy but, I really don't see myself being able to change into the baseball player that they want to see. I am not capable of dropping the biking and Becoming a amazing baseball player. I don't enjoy it enough to do that. But if I did do this I would have to worry about having to find a job and making money this summer.

I don't think its fair for them to make me play baseball during the summer. making me choose between the freedoms and the liberties that they give me, or doing the thing that I love. I don't know what I should do. I have tried to sit down and hold a talk about it but they refuse to see it from my side.

I did this more as stress relief to be able to tell someone, and to let off a little bit of but if you have any advice or just anything to say then throw it out there. I would actually like to hear from the older side of pinkbike Salute as to what they would do with a son like me.

thanks for reading,
nick

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 20:23 Quote
continue if your gonna make the mlb. make millions buy every bike that exists. if you dont like it dont play it. get a job pay for all your own stuff gas,parts and show your parents your capable to do stuff yourself

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 20:29 Quote
bighit888 wrote:
continue if your gonna make the mlb. make millions buy every bike that exists. if you dont like it dont play it. get a job pay for all your own stuff gas,parts and show your parents your capable to do stuff yourself

O yea The MLB. good one but the whole do it on my own Is what I want to do but depending on how mad they get It could really suck to have to pay for everything in my life. not even taking biking into account.

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 20:33 Quote
your stuck in a tough position, and i don't know exactuly what to say. i guess im luckey in a waay that my parents dont care what i do aslong as i dont play xbox all day. like today the snow is actully off my trail and i rode for like 4 hours. the only thing is that they say dont hurt yourself cause i really dont wana go to the hospital, and if i break something i have to pay for it. so in some ways its good and some ways it sucks, ah well idk dude, its a really tough decesion

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 20:33 Quote
Buddy, paying for shit yourself is not all that bad, having a job is actually better for you, it'll teach you what sports don't. I've been paying all my shit for the past 4 years. It's hard work, but it feels great knowing you got all that on your own.

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 20:36 Quote
Its sounds like your parents want you to be the best you can be, only they're trying to tell you what you should be good at. Been there done that man. Only my father was crazy that I played elite level hockey when I really wanted to get serious about martial arts.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 20:42 Quote
I sound like some kids over here who cant bike or ki or whatever because there parens are weirdo hocky freaks and they think they will be the next wayne g. Baseball is gay anyway. Get a job , paying for yuorself inst that bad as the other guy said and RIDE YOUR BIKE.

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 20:43 Quote
ride your bike and pay for shit on your own. my parents never gave me anything... and i mean never! life is more rewarding when you can do what you really love and you can know that you did it all on your own by putting 120% of your heart and soul into it. do what you love! you will be much happier, and you will thank yourself when you're older! even if its harder now, i promise it will be worth it.

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 20:49 Quote
willems wrote:
ride your bike and pay for shit on your own. my parents never gave me anything... and i mean never! life is more rewarding when you can do what you really love and you can know that you did it all on your own by putting 120% of your heart and soul into it. do what you love! you will be much happier, and you will thank yourself when you're older! even if its harder now, i promise it will be worth it.

Words of wisdom from a 19 yr old. The thing is that he's 100% right.

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 at 20:53 Quote
vinceliberatore wrote:
willems wrote:

Words of wisdom from a 19 yr old. The thing is that he's 100% right.
why thank you!

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 20:36 Quote
my mom and dad almost made me give up bikeing because i broke my shoulder and barly got away with out emegencey surery but i told them if i cant ride i will just do some thing like drugs and it frecked them out so now i can ride after i heal!!! hahahaha

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 7:27 Quote
willems wrote:

Thats the truth right there, your fifteen and have your own truck, you aren't limited to finding work. Get a job with steady 9-5 hours and ride your heart out on the weekends and evenings. My dad has hooked me up occasionally over the years but I pretty much paid for all my own shit as well. Its a great feeling when you buy something with your own money because then there really is a sense of accomplishment because you can look back and say, hey I worked X amount of hours to buy this.

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 10:44 Quote
calgaryrider wrote:
Thats the truth right there, your fifteen and have your own truck, you aren't limited to finding work. Get a job with steady 9-5 hours and ride your heart out on the weekends and evenings. My dad has hooked me up occasionally over the years but I pretty much paid for all my own shit as well. Its a great feeling when you buy something with your own money because then there really is a sense of accomplishment because you can look back and say, hey I worked X amount of hours to buy this.

That's true, and you have some pretty awesome bikes tup so the hard work definitely paid off.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010977
Mobile Version of Website