Parental disproval of biking

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Parental disproval of biking
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:15 Quote
it seems like your relationship with your parents could use a little tuning up at this time. as hard as it may seem, try to talk to them about it again. if this doesn't work at all then turn away, find a job, and begin paying for your own things. whatever you do though... do not continue to play baseball for the sake of your parents expectations. hopefully, they'll eventually accept that you're really into riding bikes and not baseball.

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:18 Quote
You're 15, learn the art of argument. If you can present a clear and concise argument to your parents why biking is good (I play ball and bike too) then you won't be butting heads with them.

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:24 Quote
Tell them you dissapointed in them for the way they are treating you. You should not be punished for losing interest in something. Also I'm not saying you should quit baseball but maybe try to find out what you liked about it in the first place and get that fealling for it again. Like old married people trying to avoid a divorce.

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:28 Quote
if u tell them and they still dont agree at all skip ur practices and stuff, just get kicked out of baseball and leave ur bike at a friends house so they cant take it away, i did the same thing but with grades i did horrible in school but kept my bike at a friends house so i could still ride

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:29 Quote
gregarious wrote:
if u tell them and they still dont agree at all skip ur practices and stuff, just get kicked out of baseball and leave ur bike at a friends house so they cant take it away, i did the same thing but with grades i did horrible in school but kept my bike at a friends house so i could still ride

can you say "Do you want fries with that?"

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:29 Quote
i wouldn't do that.
it seems like he wants his parents to agree with the situation

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:32 Quote
haha my parents gave in though, it just takes time. i just didnt care what i had to do to ride. plus i didnt have a great relationship with my parents in the first place...

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:41 Quote
If your parents really want to see you do well and live the life you want to live, I think that if you really show dedication to your biking, they will see that it is really what you want to do, and will support you. As for funds, I have a job maintaining the baseball fields for my local little league. It pays fairly well and that lets me fund myself. But in order to gain their respect, you really need to get out and bike, not just bike halfheartedly.

-Jack

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:42 Quote
the way i see it you got 2 weeks left till baseball is over. then you'll have more free time. my parents did the same sort of thing with soccer back in high school. but i was already pretty much on my own and lived at their house, and ate their food. which is nice, don't get me wrong. but then i hit the wall in soccer, got into a fight with the coach and hung up the cleats. needless to say my parents were pissed! made all these arguements about how i was a quitter and shit like that. i just gave em the cold shoulder treatment for a week or so. eventually quit coming home for a few days. it gave em time to cool down and realize that i was burned out. i still love playin pick up games every now and then, but im sooo much happier putting that energy in training for downhill now. one of the best decisions i've made. granted im only 19, and still have a ways to go. but what ev...

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:48 Quote
It all depends how much you like baseball. If you don't even enjoy playing baseball, then tell your parents you want to take just this summer off from elite and see how it goes. And tell them you'll practice and keep up your skills anyway so you don't get rusty. And if you think you can really make it in the biking industry, and you've got a future with it, then by all means go for it.

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 22:17 Quote
Just cry a little. Ask them why they hate you so much, and you never did anything wrong. Just give them a guilt trip by acting innocent. Or make them read this thread to make them see that they may be taking baseball a little too cereal.

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 8:25 Quote
Just kill them and bury them in the backyard. If you can forge their signatures and sound like your dad on the phone you could go for months before having to flee the country.

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 8:33 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
Just kill them and bury them in the backyard. If you can forge their signatures and sound like your dad on the phone you could go for months before having to flee the country.

i know you are joking, but thats really not the sort of thing this thread needs if he plans to show it to his parents

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 17:17 Quote
he can show them when theyre deadBig Grin

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 22:09 Quote
If you have any pets kill them too, because those things are bastards for digging up bodies.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010904
Mobile Version of Website