Wooden Jumps. With pics

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Wooden Jumps. With pics
Posted: Feb 23, 2016 at 8:30 Quote
Maybe I'm in the wrong thread but Would building a wooden ramp to learn backflip into sand be a good idea? If so what would be the ideal dimension? Height? angle?

Posted: Feb 23, 2016 at 12:03 Quote
If you never tried it in foam pit it's not the best idea ever, but if you are confident enough go for it!
There is no ideal dimension, but lets say definitely not under 1,8 m and it does not need to be any steeper than any other normal kicker, around 3 m radius. That won't be too scary and will give you enough air to land it/save your self if it goes wrong.
If you tried it in a foam pit before, just try to get the same dimensions as the foam pit jump.

Posted: Feb 23, 2016 at 12:34 Quote
1.8meter in height? I was thinking more of a mini flip onto flat sand pit.

Posted: Feb 23, 2016 at 13:35 Quote
yes, 1,8m in height.
uhhh i don't know, i don't think mini flip is a good way to learn flips... I think you need some air to figure it out, even if you get lost in the air you have time to eject and try to save yourself... I know flips for a while now, and still don't like doing them on small stuff

Posted: Feb 23, 2016 at 13:41 Quote
I was landing them into an airbag a year and bit ago. Sadly I've made no progression since but I'd agree that more air time is a good thing.

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 at 5:49 Quote
Looks sick. Good job. Cool to see you and your dad doing things together????

Posted: Mar 7, 2016 at 11:51 Quote
Just build a wooden jumpbox for around 250€, works pretty well and it is transportable Big Grin
2 more pics in my album!

Posted: Mar 10, 2016 at 8:23 Quote
julibiker98 wrote:
Just build a wooden jumpbox for around 250€, works pretty well and it is transportable Big Grin
2 more pics in my album!

Looks good!! But, I feel like you're going to clear that platform really easily. You'd easily be able to jump 2-3 times as long. How much room do you have to get speed?

Posted: Mar 10, 2016 at 10:00 Quote
Yeah, a detachable lip would make it better for adjusting the length of the gap.
It would also allow making it into a step-up or step-down depending on terrain

Posted: Mar 11, 2016 at 4:03 Quote
KingsgateDirtJumper wrote:
Yeah, a detachable lip would make it better for adjusting the length of the gap.
It would also allow making it into a step-up or step-down depending on terrain

The lip is detachable , but we build it for shows and some contests here, so safety for beginners was first! You can build it up without the Platform as well, with a 4m gap or somethinh like that, but we dont have a roll in -.-

Posted: Mar 11, 2016 at 4:04 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
julibiker98 wrote:
2 more pics in my album!

Looks good!! But, I feel like you're going to clear that platform really easily. You'd easily be able to jump 2-3 times as long. How much room do you have to get speed?

Only like 15m when we test this thing, but you can land with your complete bike on it, so it works fine

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 at 19:10 Quote
tchach11 wrote:
HOT DAYUM!!! Those are sweet. Started framing my equally sweet jump today... opinions? It's 48" tall, 36" wide.

Here's how it ended up. Have the ramp pretty close right now as I just finished it.
Views: 610    Faves: 0    Comments: 1

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 at 8:42 Quote
Looking good so far!

I'm amazed at how rare it is that someone actually posts up before / during / after photos and footage.

I would suggest a longer transition at the bottom for 26" wheels and / or more flat before the jump, 2-4 bike lengths depending on speed

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 at 9:39 Quote
KingsgateDirtJumper wrote:
Looking good so far!

I'm amazed at how rare it is that someone actually posts up before / during / after photos and footage.

I would suggest a longer transition at the bottom for 26" wheels and / or more flat before the jump, 2-4 bike lengths depending on speed

I don't mind posting as I appreciate the feedback Salute This was my first jump of this kind. I'm tight on space for the run-in but I can make the landing longer or do you me the transition up to the jump? It is a bit more abrupt of a takeoff than I thought it was going to be. I did a few more jumps after and they were smoother as I was more comfortable and was able to pump up the ramp.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026262
Mobile Version of Website