24" or 26" rims for dirt jumping ?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
24" or 26" rims for dirt jumping ?
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 3:16 Quote
24 all the way, especialy as i need to accelerate fast for mt local trails Big Grin

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 3:57 Quote
cadge wrote:
26's for everything, tricks arent the be all and end all of the world, id rather have a bike that rides smooth and is stable than to be able to 3 a little bit easier, as far as ive always been concerned 24's are for kids that arent quiet big enough for a proper bike, and for bmxer's that want something bigger, in the form of a cruiser.

Mtb's just dont seem to be suited to the things, i know so many people that thought 24's were the way forward and have realised it isnt, they're just sketchy.

As far as all that shit about 26's feeling clumsy and big, thats a load of bull, most of the best street/park/dirt riders out there are on 26's, 26" wheels can be just as light as 24's aswell, what with being able to run mavics.

youre so wrong about everything...

yes 24" is easier for tricks, thats not a problem.
26" arent smooth and stable, theyre slow and cumbersome. 24" has PLENTY of stability and anymore would be a hinderance, if you find 24" unstable you obviously have poor bike skills. you try telling 20"ers that theyre bikes are to sketchy for trails.

most of the best dirt, park and street riders youre talking about are pros who are pushed into riding what the industry wants them to ride. at the dirt comps the pros ride big alu frames with gears and 26" wheels, not exactly practical. my bike i ride is better than some silly 26" full suspenison kona that the pros wil be on

if anything you need to be slightly smoother to ride 24" and theyre less sketchy. i love to watch 26" riders up our local spot struggle to heave their silly bikes over the steep jumps. its ok though as their wheels are better for casing

basicly kids love to follow the 26" fashion even trhough 24" is stronger,lighter,easier to spin, easier to get through trails, easier to fit into small transitions and ramps and much more practical

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 7:51 Quote
gutkrencher wrote:
cadge wrote:
26's for everything, tricks arent the be all and end all of the world, id rather have a bike that rides smooth and is stable than to be able to 3 a little bit easier, as far as ive always been concerned 24's are for kids that arent quiet big enough for a proper bike, and for bmxer's that want something bigger, in the form of a cruiser.

Mtb's just dont seem to be suited to the things, i know so many people that thought 24's were the way forward and have realised it isnt, they're just sketchy.

As far as all that shit about 26's feeling clumsy and big, thats a load of bull, most of the best street/park/dirt riders out there are on 26's, 26" wheels can be just as light as 24's aswell, what with being able to run mavics.

26" arent smooth and stable, theyre slow and cumbersome. 24" has PLENTY of stability and anymore would be a hinderance, if you find 24" unstable you obviously have poor bike skills. you try telling 20"ers that theyre bikes are to sketchy for trails.

most of the best dirt, park and street riders youre talking about are pros who are pushed into riding what the industry wants them to ride. at the dirt comps the pros ride big alu frames with gears and 26" wheels, not exactly practical. my bike i ride is better than some silly 26" full suspenison kona that the pros wil be on

if anything you need to be slightly smoother to ride 24" and theyre less sketchy. i love to watch 26" riders up our local spot struggle to heave their silly bikes over the steep jumps. its ok though as their wheels are better for casing

basicly kids love to follow the 26" fashion even trhough 24" is stronger,lighter,easier to spin, easier to get through trails, easier to fit into small transitions and ramps and much more practical
wordage by gutkrencher

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 7:59 Quote
cheers man, just telling the truth. oh yeah also, has anyone ridden bmx cruisers? theyre dirty. Super steep headangles, high bbs and short top tubes on 24" wheels is just wrong, you get no foot clearance on them either

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 8:07 Quote
24s all the way. I rode all last year on 26s and almost had 3's down. got a pair of 24s for xmas, and this year is a whole new story, tricks are easier, and i find u ride everywhere so much faster and smoother to be honest. go 24s!

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 8:17 Quote
I run 26s for a few reasons,
firstly our trails are quite a long ride away and also deep in some woods so bigger wheels makes it less of a hassle getting to the trails in the first place, also i don't trick much, style and flow are where its at imo ( though i do love pulling clean 360s).
Our trails arn't the smoothest either, a couple of my mates run fully rigid 24s or bmxs and have a hard time keeping a straight line down the run in.
I have to say though I probably would run 24s but its just more practical not to.

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 8:20 Quote
darkangelfr wrote:
I run 26s for a few reasons,
firstly our trails are quite a long ride away and also deep in some woods so bigger wheels makes it less of a hassle getting to the trails in the first place, also i don't trick much, style and flow are where its at imo ( though i do love pulling clean 360s).
Our trails arn't the smoothest either, a couple of my mates run fully rigid 24s or bmxs and have a hard time keeping a straight line down the run in.
I have to say though I probably would run 24s but its just more practical not to.

not really proper excuses really. if your local spot is getting a bit shabby then give it some tlc, get it running nice and smooth as jumps should be. i have no problems getting around on 24", i did a 25 mile or so xc ride on my fully rigid 24 withough much of a problem the other day. as for style and flow its alot easier to move your bike around on a smaller less cumbersome bike, look at rider like jimmy pratt for example and bmxers like chase hawk or chris doyle

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 8:32 Quote
gutkrencher wrote:

Your post is right, however I've met a lot of kids that have put 24" wheels on their bike because they think that its 'better' for jumping. This isn't technically true, they stick 24" wheels on frames designed for 26" wheels. This feels strange as the bike feels low and long.

I say people should get the right size wheels for their frame.

Just a note to everybody, don't bring weight into the argument cause that all depends on the wheelbuild.

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 8:38 Quote
cowieuk wrote:
gutkrencher wrote:

Your post is right, however I've met a lot of kids that have put 24" wheels on their bike because they think that its 'better' for jumping. This isn't technically true, they stick 24" wheels on frames designed for 26" wheels. This feels strange as the bike feels low and long.

Just a note to everybody, don't bring weight into the argument cause that all depends on the wheelbuild.

but weight does come into it though. smaller bike = less material = less weight
if you compare the same wheels build in 24 and 26 the 24 will be less

but its true, you should use the right sized wheels for your frame. i ride 24" and from my personal experience on 26" i prefer 24".

and with trickability, 26" frames are alot tighter lately, so the difference between 24 and 26 isn't so big, i think it just depends on personal preference, although if your small, you can look swamped on a 26"

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 8:51 Quote
markhumphris wrote:

but its true, you should use the right sized wheels for your frame. i ride 24" and from my personal experience on 26" i prefer 24".

and with trickability, 26" frames are alot tighter lately, so the difference between 24 and 26 isn't so big, i think it just depends on personal preference, although if your small, you can look swamped on a 26"

Yeah but take a mavic 26" wheelbuild thats going to very close to a 24" wheelbuild,
besides any difference in wheelbuilds exactly the same are not going to be much at all.

It's too much a variable

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 8:56 Quote
markhumphris wrote:
cowieuk wrote:
gutkrencher wrote:

yeah weight is definately an issue. its rotational weight also, so small weights mean alot. 26" frames are getting tighter but big wheels are still always gonna have all the drawbacks and still have issues with tight transitions.
i cant agree more about people who put the wrong wheels on their bikes. 26" frames feel horrible with 24" frames and putting smaller wheels on them makes it worse not better.

the whole wheel size debate is annoying really. people should ride what they want but it cant be ignored that a 24" wheel is better than a 26" wheel for jumping. 24" wheels are better for obvious reasons and i can only think of a few reasons for 26" wheels on trails-
1. more stable-safer for noobs who case alot
2. they roll better over bumps-more versatile, but why would you want bumpy trails
3. its what they grew up with
4. FASHION! if people see pros ride stuff theyll follow like sheep
5. they ignorantly claim mtb is only 26- despite the fact there are tons of 24" frame and wheel manufactures. 24,26,29 is all mtb

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 9:00 Quote
gutkrencher wrote:
markhumphris wrote:
cowieuk wrote:

yeah weight is definately an issue. its rotational weight also, so small weights mean alot. 26" frames are getting tighter but big wheels are still always gonna have all the drawbacks and still have issues with tight transitions.
i cant agree more about people who put the wrong wheels on their bikes. 26" frames feel horrible with 24" frames and putting smaller wheels on them makes it worse not better.

the whole wheel size debate is annoying really. people should ride what they want but it cant be ignored that a 24" wheel is better than a 26" wheel for jumping. 24" wheels are better for obvious reasons and i can only think of a few reasons for 26" wheels on trails-
1. more stable-safer for noobs who case alot
2. they roll better over bumps-more versatile, but why would you want bumpy trails
3. its what they grew up with
4. FASHION! if people see pros ride stuff theyll follow like sheep
5. they ignorantly claim mtb is only 26- despite the fact there are tons of 24" frame and wheel manufactures. 24,26,29 is all mtb

did anyone else hear about that 25" wheel??? dont think it really got anywhere though.

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 9:01 Quote
jus buy a twenty niner.... jk jk

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 9:14 Quote
Anybody know how to find rotational weight?

There cant be more than 100g difference between a 24" and 26" rim of the same type, although I don't really know how rotational weight works, I'm not denying the difference will be bigger when the wheels are spinning but a Mavic could be under 600 grams which would bring it close to the weight of most other 24" rims?

Not sure which rim though as sun website doesn't have 24" weights up. Halo have weights up but there pretty fat anyway.

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 9:20 Quote
cowieuk wrote:
Anybody know how to find rotational weight?

There cant be more than 100g difference between a 24" and 26" rim of the same type, although I don't really know how rotational weight works, I'm not denying the difference will be bigger when the wheels are spinning but a Mavic could be under 600 grams which would bring it close to the weight of most other 24" rims?

Not sure which rim though as sun website doesn't have 24" weights up. Halo have weights up but there pretty fat anyway.

not sure how youd work it out, but the weight gets multiplyed the faster it spins. you can run light mavic wheels for 26" but you can run a 24" wheel of the same weight which is much stronger

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.044861
Mobile Version of Website