What is too light for a dh bike?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What is too light for a dh bike?
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 6:43 Quote
I think you could spend less an build stronger an still get a good weight. your shooting for a very stupid weight right no. Where were you riding when you had your first taste of dh? I assure you on our shore, you will not be able to ride those wheels man, at least rethink the spokes, aerolite??? those are for road bikes.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 7:01 Quote
Frame: 2003 Cannondale Gemini
Fork: RS Boxxer World Cup
Shock: Fox DHX 5.0
Crank: Shimano XTR
Bottom Bracket: n/a
Handlebar: Salsa DH Rally Flat bar 780mm
Stem: Thomson DH 1.1/8, 31.8
Saddle: Bontrager Race Lite
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
Pedals: Kona Wah Wah Pedal
Brakes: Hope Mini mono
Shifters: Shimano XTR
Rear D: Shimano Dura-Ace
Cassete: Shimano Dura-Ace 12-25
Chain: Whippermann 9spd
Skewers: n/a
Grips: ODI Rogue
Cables: Shimano STI
Seat Collar: Hope Binder
Spokes: DT Alpine III
Hubs: Hadley
Rims: Mavic 721
Tires: Michelin DH comp
Tubes: Stan's Notubes
Headset: FSA Orbit Sealed
Guide: E13 LG1, TACO!
Chainrings: E13 Guidering

Build that, and you will be laughing down the hill. I know the weight but anyone wanna hazard a guess?

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 7:03 Quote
I'll bet that bike weighs about 33lbs. close?

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 7:05 Quote
Close, i forgot to mention to paint the rims yellow, it'll go faster.Wink

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 10:02 Quote
oops, my bad, mg-1's then
they are 306 grams a pair

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 12:32 Quote
so...any pics you mentioned you had most of the stuff anyways....so lets see it.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 12:35 Quote
i do not have a digital camera right now but when i do get it i will post pictures as the project progresses

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 12:44 Quote
-tgr- wrote:
oops, my bad, mg-1's then
they are 306 grams a pair

The magnesium ones are 380 grams

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 14:14 Quote
kona wah wah, the strength to weight ratio is amazing!!! An cheap too, they also weigh nearly same weight as DXs. I've had both.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 16:12 Quote
futterbuck,

There are a few tiny - and I mean tiny - details I'd argue on that spec if I wanted to be a nit-picking jerk (more than usual, that is), but on the whole, I agree that would be an awesome way to blow a pile of money (seems like a given for this project bike) AND get a damn fine ride out of it. Mister Kennedy has the first part dialed, but would benefit from taking your advice on the latter part.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 18:43 Quote
Haha, your my favorite admin.Geek Where did I go wrong?Mad Brakes, saddle, headset? I was pressed for time, school was over in a few minutes. lol

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 20:05 Quote
i rode my 35 pound 224 for a year, cracked both my juicy ultimate levers, (my friend did 2), killed my rear hub (should have gone hope) bent my bars, replaced my cranks 2 times, should have done it 4. changed the pedals 3 times. x9 rd 2 times, ran over my wheel with my car and totaled the disk, wheel was still fine, trued my wheels once. as for the sram red gear, how much weight do u save compared to a 9 speed dura ace casset with an xo shifter and red rd?

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 21:57 Quote
futterbuck wrote:
Where did I go wrong?Mad Brakes, saddle, headset? I was pressed for time, school was over in a few minutes. lol

Ha! Now that I think of it, the changes I'd make to your spec are more expensive, for the most part, so it's hardly a fair comparison.

Keeping the price about the same, I guess I'd go with a KMX X9 SL chain, maybe WTB's LaserDisc FR rim, and DT Revolution spokes on the rear non-drive side (36 spokes for the wheel) because it's a 135 mm hub. You could even do a 36H WTB LaserDic Trail for the front rim, but that's getting close to being foolishly light.

Oh, and Formula Oro Puro levers!

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 23:13 Quote
this thread is interesting, too bad its an old one. to the guy who posted it, that would be great to post his final built.

About those wheels, haha 1400 grams for dh wheels, cant believe you think it will last more than a minute.

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 at 17:40 Quote
crakmasta88 wrote:
Close, i forgot to mention to paint the rims yellow, it'll go faster.Wink

tup

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.050123
Mobile Version of Website