Cycling restrictions in Fish Creek-Speak Out

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Cycling restrictions in Fish Creek-Speak Out
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 8:08 Quote
As some of you may have heard there are cycling restrictions coming for Fish Creek Park. The Friends at Fish Creek are assisting the Govt. to restrict mountain bikes only from trail access. These are all the fun singletrack trails, not the Mom, Dad and kids paved and shale pathways. They are following suit with the Federal Govt. to restrict mountain biking in National / Provincial Parks.
They claim mountain bikers are creating trails and destroying existing trails. Their goal is to create one singletrack trail from one end of the park to the other. It has started on the West end at Bebo Grove and heading west to Shannon Terrace. I understand it is halfway up the hill on the North side, essentially out of the valley and away from the trees.
I have decided that I am no longer going to stand idly by and let other interest groups dictate to me what and where I can do it. I will be persuing these organizations and having my voice being heard. We're fools if we allow other interest groups to decide for us. There are times when you need to stand up for your rights. I have also decided NOT to support Friends at Fish Creek as they are not "pro" mountain bike in the park.
When I am able to gather info of whom to contact and voice our opinion I will post it here. I hope you will not just hope things will turn out OK, but speak out and have a say in how things will turn out.

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 8:33 Quote
Just don't ride there on the weekends! They won't hang there all week to police the park, and they will give up after a few weeks of doing that anyways.....And carry pepper spray! That'll create a diversion so you can escape! NO! NO, don't do that I'm just kiddin! We don't need criminal charges!
Seriously, just ride off peak times and you probably will get away with it. And ride @ night with lights.
Like Nose Hill, are they going to be able to monitor it 24-7?
As with Nose Hill, it was protested by all the user groups up there,(Dog, Bikes, Hikers & pilots-my buddy flies over it all the time) only a minority wanted the pavement there, and city council put it in anyways!

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 15:42 Quote
well if you think you can some how convince the parks people and friends of fish creek to keep the trails good luck. I will help out for sure, but I see this going nowhere. I have talked with Kip Keylock the cmba/imba rep for our area and I have asked him about fish and this is what he said

" As for Fishcreek, CMBA has been involved there as well, however it has its own unique problems.
There has been lots of discussion on this one and we feel the fight is lost,
between Provincial politics, developers, and lack of general public interest
in the area. Sad, but true. "

I think the only choice we have is to help the friends of fish or just poach the trails off peak hours like ibis has said.

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 22:01 Quote
What about the built stunts and DJ's? From what I can tell, that's one of the key concerns - pull those out and the heat gets turned down. I dunno...

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:00 Quote
I ventured into fish creek today and ran into two different set of poorly made jumps in a very public place with huge holes in the ground left where the people got the dirt for the jumps.

We are going to loose fish creek if the people don't stop building hazards.


I don't know how to stop it, but if you see people diggin make sure you educate how their little jump is going to burn bridges for two wheelers in the park.

J

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:22 Quote
jackhennigan wrote:
I ventured into fish creek today and ran into two different set of poorly made jumps in a very public place with huge holes in the ground left where the people got the dirt for the jumps.

We are going to loose fish creek if the people don't stop building hazards.


I don't know how to stop it, but if you see people diggin make sure you educate how their little jump is going to burn bridges for two wheelers in the park.

J

Most of the bridges have already been burned, hence the "single" trail designation. Those who dig and build in the park don't care, but are quick to complain when the trails get shut down or the Fish Cops come down on them. I agree, try to stop the morons from building and digging in the parks.

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 8:34 Quote
These guys just don't get it! Stay out of all the natural areas with your stupid jumps! You make the place an eyesore and you ruin it for the rest of us. Build your stupid jumps in your back yards and see what your folks say!
I say that the film industry is partly responsible for this BS. They build crap anywhere they want, film a few hours and then go somewhere else and repeat. Drop-in did it in Kamloops and got the whole hillside closed forever except when the town has one weekend set aside for the event. I saw them cross the tape closing Jean Guy on Moose a few years ago and go and film their session anyway. They need to lead by example, but they don't care. They just want to sell DVD's! The young kids see this and monkey see, monkey do, and the next thing we see is areas torn up so they can get thrills, because a conventional "old school" singletrack isn't "rad" enough.

On another note, the pavement the Gov't put in FCP has destroyed the place. I think they made a bigger mess than Ma Nature did with the '05 floods! The forest is torn up for fifteen feet on either side of the pavement, and it is littered with literally hundreds of dead trees! For miles! WTF do they think? They think it is "improved"?
What a joke! Then they think we wreck the place riding on trails that have existed for decades, and have gotten worse because they put houses right up to the edge of the forest, and criss-crossed with pavement and dead trees! Now all the dog people have a great place to take rover, and we lose more and more trails everyday.
It makes me sick to even go there!

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 8:44 Quote
ibisrox wrote:
These guys just don't get it! Stay out of all the natural areas with your stupid jumps! You make the place an eyesore and you ruin it for the rest of us. Build your stupid jumps in your back yards and see what your folks say!
I say that the film industry is partly responsible for this BS. They build crap anywhere they want, film a few hours and then go somewhere else and repeat. Drop-in did it in Kamloops and got the whole hillside closed forever except when the town has one weekend set aside for the event. I saw them cross the tape closing Jean Guy on Moose a few years ago and go and film their session anyway. They need to lead by example, but they don't care. They just want to sell DVD's! The young kids see this and monkey see, monkey do, and the next thing we see is areas torn up so they can get thrills, because a conventional "old school" singletrack isn't "rad" enough.

On another note, the pavement the Gov't put in FCP has destroyed the place. I think they made a bigger mess than Ma Nature did with the '05 floods! The forest is torn up for fifteen feet on either side of the pavement, and it is littered with literally hundreds of dead trees! For miles! WTF do they think? They think it is "improved"?
What a joke! Then they think we wreck the place riding on trails that have existed for decades, and have gotten worse because they put houses right up to the edge of the forest, and criss-crossed with pavement and dead trees! Now all the dog people have a great place to take rover, and we lose more and more trails everyday.
It makes me sick to even go there!

Agreed. I'm not sure what they were thinking there. It looks terrible. You could have built a small highway through some of those clearances. That's the story of Calgary though. I don't know what is wrong with this city. Their solution to every recreation area is "cover it with pavement."

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 9:38 Quote
This is the sad tail of most of the XC single track in Calgary. Closed to the many because of a few. In my opinion most of the damage in Fish has been done by those who need to go straight down all the steep hills skidding and ripping up new trails where ever they feel like it. I don't think the Park is any better. Plowing down the forest to put that paved trail in. Have you seen that excessively steep paved hill on the south west end. Someone is going to get killed on that trail and they are worried about XC riders? Hate to say it but a few properly designed XC trails is the only way to have sustainable riding in Fish for the future. Want to Free ride go to COP or a designated area (of which there should be more).

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 10:07 Quote
I'm sorry guys but after reading all this on hoe free riders and DJ's are ruining it for you guys is sad. Were all in the same boat don't we all just want to ride our bikes? Yes some DJ's are hazardous if built wrong, but If its such a problem why dont they give us more places to ride and how you say "go to cop" Have any idea how hard it is for many of us to get all the way out there also last years dj's were horrid and some people dont like to pay to ride some simple jumps. We recently had a little disute out in chestermere over slightly the same thing We have land approved by the town and permession to build a dj park but then one kids dad in town wants to take our land and build a BMX track just because his kids 2nd best in canada or something. We may have agreed with him if he didnt put MTB down so much the whole time he talked to us, as he's talking all he could say was BMX is more superior all the courses are harder than any MTB track out there and all the good MTBers came over from BMX and thats where they learnt all their skill. They wanted to make certain nights where certain bikes could ride and days there would be races but they wanted us to all join the Alberta BMX race league or something to even have access to the track. So the point we tried to get across was the 2 sports are not all that differant any jump or track you build for a BMX a skilled MTB rider could ride. What we were proposing to build was a few DJ lines and a really small pump track, But apparently the MTB comunity can't exist with out the BMX support. SO all I'm trying to say is Why cant we co exist and not put each other down so bad like this, yes people shouldn't build hazards but if built right why should it be such a big deal? All that is going to come out of you guys talking so badly about us like this is how do you think it will reflect on you guys if you go out to cop? So why dont we all just live in peace and respect peoples riding choices to a extent if things are built bad report or if you see them there talk to them about it but respectfully, you respect us we'll respect you I personally don't care what any of you say just because I respect anyone that enjoys rippin on 2 wheels. Well thats all I have to say.

Ryan

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 10:27 Quote
stinkyrider88 wrote:
I'm sorry guys but after reading all this on hoe free riders and DJ's are ruining it for you guys is sad. Were all in the same boat don't we all just want to ride our bikes? Yes some DJ's are hazardous if built wrong, but If its such a problem why dont they give us more places to ride and how you say "go to cop" Have any idea how hard it is for many of us to get all the way out there also last years dj's were horrid and some people dont like to pay to ride some simple jumps. We recently had a little disute out in chestermere over slightly the same thing We have land approved by the town and permession to build a dj park but then one kids dad in town wants to take our land and build a BMX track just because his kids 2nd best in canada or something. We may have agreed with him if he didnt put MTB down so much the whole time he talked to us, as he's talking all he could say was BMX is more superior all the courses are harder than any MTB track out there and all the good MTBers came over from BMX and thats where they learnt all their skill. They wanted to make certain nights where certain bikes could ride and days there would be races but they wanted us to all join the Alberta BMX race league or something to even have access to the track. So the point we tried to get across was the 2 sports are not all that differant any jump or track you build for a BMX a skilled MTB rider could ride. What we were proposing to build was a few DJ lines and a really small pump track, But apparently the MTB comunity can't exist with out the BMX support. SO all I'm trying to say is Why cant we co exist and not put each other down so bad like this, yes people shouldn't build hazards but if built right why should it be such a big deal? All that is going to come out of you guys talking so badly about us like this is how do you think it will reflect on you guys if you go out to cop? So why dont we all just live in peace and respect peoples riding choices to a extent if things are built bad report or if you see them there talk to them about it but respectfully, you respect us we'll respect you I personally don't care what any of you say just because I respect anyone that enjoys rippin on 2 wheels. Well thats all I have to say.

Ryan

There's a big difference here. Fish Creek is a provincial park that is used by thousands of different types of users every day. I have nothing against DJ but they ARE a legal liability from a landowners/administrator point of view. For this reason, they should not be built on widely used public land. If you can huide them away where hikers/groms will never find them, that's fine but Fish Creek is not that type of place. They will be found. Furthermore, I doubt that those riders hauled in all of the dirt they needed for those jumps.

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 10:43 Quote
Build dirt jumps in Fish Creek = they get torn down and Fish Creek Administration is one step closer from a complete ban on bikes


Build dirt jumps in any other field that is NOT a PROVINCIAL PARK = they get torn down and you go build in another field

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 10:54 Quote
jackhennigan wrote:
Build dirt jumps in Fish Creek = they get torn down and Fish Creek Administration is one step closer from a complete ban on bikes


Build dirt jumps in any other field that is NOT a PROVINCIAL PARK = they get torn down and you go build in another field

right on!!

i don't want any groms talking shite about "respect" and then just building wherever they want anyways.

groms: your actions have far more effect on the MTB community than you think, if you really want "respect" then use your heads when building stuff...please.

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 11:00 Quote
Ok here is my only other argument If they want to keep people from building in there why don't they have a jump park thats more accesable and free to ride for everyone? if Chestermere can do it with their huge biking population of 25 i think Calgary could manage it.

Ryan

P.S please stop with the grom iv been riding for a while im just trying to be positive and stop what i saw there i do agree with your argument but i felt it was a tad harsh is all.

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 11:06 Quote
stinkyrider88 wrote:
Ok here is my only other argument If they want to keep people from building in there why don't they have a jump park thats more accesable and free to ride for everyone? if Chestermere can do it with their huge biking population of 25 i think Calgary could manage it.

Ryan

P.S please stop with the grom iv been riding for a while im just trying to be positive and stop what i saw there i do agree with your argument but i felt it was a tad harsh is all.

I agree with you here. They should definitely have another accessible bike park in Calgary. I don't think that it will happen but it should. That's not a legitimate excuse to build in Fish Creek though. As for the "grom" thing, I'm pretty sure that most of the people who were building crap in the park were under 17. A lot of them seem to feel that any property not surrounded by a high fence is free to build upon. If you want a DJ park, try to get together a cohesive group of like-minded individuals and get to work convincing. That's how a lot of skateparks get built.

Previous Page |

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009674
Mobile Version of Website