Cycling restrictions in Fish Creek-Speak Out

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Cycling restrictions in Fish Creek-Speak Out
Author Message
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 11:12 Quote
We already did we have land and town approved but this is out in chestermere iv never been out to fish creek and yes alot of yonger people will just see a good spot and just dig it up. So i think we should start another thread about this in the DJ section and express your concerns and try to get the maessage across that way and try to prevent that way all I see so far is alot of ranting.

Ryan

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 11:17 Quote
stinkyrider88 wrote:
I'm sorry guys but after reading all this on hoe free riders and DJ's are ruining it for you guys is sad. Were all in the same boat don't we all just want to ride our bikes? Yes some DJ's are hazardous if built wrong, but If its such a problem why dont they give us more places to ride and how you say "go to cop" Have any idea how hard it is for many of us to get all the way out there also last years dj's were horrid and some people dont like to pay to ride some simple jumps. We recently had a little disute out in chestermere over slightly the same thing We have land approved by the town and permession to build a dj park but then one kids dad in town wants to take our land and build a BMX track just because his kids 2nd best in canada or something. We may have agreed with him if he didnt put MTB down so much the whole time he talked to us, as he's talking all he could say was BMX is more superior all the courses are harder than any MTB track out there and all the good MTBers came over from BMX and thats where they learnt all their skill. They wanted to make certain nights where certain bikes could ride and days there would be races but they wanted us to all join the Alberta BMX race league or something to even have access to the track. So the point we tried to get across was the 2 sports are not all that differant any jump or track you build for a BMX a skilled MTB rider could ride. What we were proposing to build was a few DJ lines and a really small pump track, But apparently the MTB comunity can't exist with out the BMX support. SO all I'm trying to say is Why cant we co exist and not put each other down so bad like this, yes people shouldn't build hazards but if built right why should it be such a big deal? All that is going to come out of you guys talking so badly about us like this is how do you think it will reflect on you guys if you go out to cop? So why dont we all just live in peace and respect peoples riding choices to a extent if things are built bad report or if you see them there talk to them about it but respectfully, you respect us we'll respect you I personally don't care what any of you say just because I respect anyone that enjoys rippin on 2 wheels. Well thats all I have to say.

Ryan

The bottom line here is that a very small minority of the mountain biking community in Calgary is getting our riding areas closed down. The minority are those who continue to build stunts and dig in public parks where doing so is not allowed. It doesn't matter how well your jumps or stunts are made because it's not allowed. Why is this so hard to understand? Btw, almost all of the jumps and stunts that I have checked out in FC looked like absolute shite. This is beside the point because building or digging is not allowed. Follow the rules. If you don't want other riders coming down on you, FOLLOW THE RULES. Getting the point yet? FC is a multi user park and mountain bikers have to respect this. People use this park to get away from the confines of the city and not to see man made mountain bike obstructions. The rules are in place and everyone has to follow them. This is why people are saying go to COP if you want to dj or freeride. Sounds harsh, but this is the way it is and the way it will always be in this city. Hopefully, the city will eventually get a dj park and another dedicated freeride area, but until this happens....follow the rules. Everyone else has to.







The simple truth is that the we are sick and tired of trails getting shut down because of the ignorance of a select few.

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 11:18 Quote
stinkyrider88 wrote:
We already did we have land and town approved but this is out in chestermere iv never been out to fish creek and yes alot of yonger people will just see a good spot and just dig it up. So i think we should start another thread about this in the DJ section and express your concerns and try to get the maessage across that way and try to prevent that way all I see so far is alot of ranting.

Ryan

But Pinkbike would die without pointless ranting on the same point over and over again!? Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your jumps. They really do need something for kids to use in the different areas of the city. COP is great for its size but the jumps always look really busy and it's definitely out of the way if you don't have a car. One of these days I'll actually have to try a dirt jumper. Might make me less old and surly. I owned a park BMX for 3 weeks once. Suppose that was close?

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 11:20 Quote
I have to say, as somebody who has been riding the same trails in Fish Creek park for ~15 years, that if it comes down to getting rid of DJs and wooden stunts vs. losing access for all bikes, it's no contest. I'll be the guy with a rechargeable sawzall strapped to my camelback one day, then hiking in with a mattock over my shoulder the next.

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 11:29 Quote
devonvig wrote:
stinkyrider88 wrote:
We already did we have land and town approved but this is out in chestermere iv never been out to fish creek and yes alot of yonger people will just see a good spot and just dig it up. So i think we should start another thread about this in the DJ section and express your concerns and try to get the maessage across that way and try to prevent that way all I see so far is alot of ranting.

Ryan

But Pinkbike would die without pointless ranting on the same point over and over again!? Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your jumps. They really do need something for kids to use in the different areas of the city. COP is great for its size but the jumps always look really busy and it's definitely out of the way if you don't have a car. One of these days I'll actually have to try a dirt jumper. Might make me less old and surly. I owned a park BMX for 3 weeks once. Suppose that was close?

How true is that haha. Dirt jumping is fun stuff once you get into it deffinitly have a look into it. As for the other few guys I'm not here in deffence of the DJ comunity I completely agree with you guys since it is a park and a public area they SHOULD NOT be building stunts of any sort in there. Have a look into this and keep a eye on it all I wanted to do was try and change the way you were portrying our style of riding because in the end we all just wanna have fun on our bikes.
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=30914

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 17:01 Quote
On my commute home from work today I went through the east end of Fish Creek. Saw a pair of young men on large DH bike and as they if they knew the consequences of building in a park.

Uh.... ok and they returned to hike the little jumps....


We are going to loose Fish Creek because many people do not care about their actions.

My rant...

Posted: May 12, 2008 at 21:57 Quote
I've been practicing with my mattock in the back yard - I am amazed at how fast those things tear through piles of hardpacked dirt.

Posted: May 13, 2008 at 7:13 Quote
This is very sad for me to see. It was one of the reason the Calgary Mountain Bike Alliance was started, well that was mainly the weaselhead on Glenmore Resivoir, but we saw it coming to fish creek eventually. Up until I moved to BC I lived my whole life a max of two blocks from fish creek. In fact when I moved out of the parents and bought my own home, that was a major part of my search critera.

Back in the 90's there was a group of round table discussion, and during that time trail use came up for mountain bikes, funny thing is there where people in the room for it. they didnt seem to be against it. Same with the Friends of Fish Creek, I was the first mountain biker to be a member and every meeting I went to they seemed for mountain bikes, but I know that when I wasnt there, they were against them. So it seems that if we can get enough mountain bikers involved they wont have the guts to shut it down. But organizing MTB'rs is like pushing rope, so it wont happen unfortunatly. To many of us are lame enough to claim that "i'll ride there no matter what" "go during none peak hours you wont get caught" "they cant catch me" etc. So sad that our own attitude is what got us banned from weaselhead and nosehill, now fishcreek. ( yes nosehill ban has been on the books for about 8 years, but they need to build a perimeter paved path first, then that is the only place you will be allowed to ride)

The biggest problems with fish creek is over trail building. Everyone and there dog is trying to build a new trail, rather then working and maintaining the existing trails. This has been one of the biggest issues from the start. That and building trails where they don't belong, straight down escarpments etc. In provincial parks it is illegal to mover or remove any thing, logs rock etc, so you need to keep that in mind. I was involved with the first trail maintenence days official sanctioned by the park, and shockingly no one showed up from the friends for it.

The scariest part about a ban in fish creek is the implications is has for all other provincial parks in Alberta. Currently bicycles are exempt from "the off high way use act" All it would take is an amendment and we are banned everywhere. Very scary, that and Wayne Mekhal, (probably spelling his name wrong) the head ranger for the park said that is the route they would probably take. This is very sad to here, hopefully more people finally take action, including the bike shops who profit from places to ride, cause soon there wont be anywhere. Good luck with your fight

Posted: May 13, 2008 at 7:19 Quote
Double post sorry

Posted: May 13, 2008 at 7:20 Quote
wrote:
[Quote/ronny]The bottom line here is that a very small minority of the mountain biking community in Calgary is getting our riding areas closed down. The minority are those who continue to build stunts and dig in public parks where doing so is not allowed. It doesn't matter how well your jumps or stunts are made because it's not allowed. Why is this so hard to understand? Btw, almost all of the jumps and stunts that I have checked out in FC looked like absolute shite. This is beside the point because building or digging is not allowed. Follow the rules. If you don't want other riders coming down on you, FOLLOW THE RULES. Getting the point yet? FC is a multi user park and mountain bikers have to respect this. People use this park to get away from the confines of the city and not to see man made mountain bike obstructions. The rules are in place and everyone has to follow them. This is why people are saying go to COP if you want to dj or freeride. Sounds harsh, but this is the way it is and the way it will always be in this city. Hopefully, the city will eventually get a dj park and another dedicated freeride area, but until this happens....follow the rules. Everyone else has to.


The simple truth is that the we are sick and tired of trails getting shut down because of the ignorance of a select few.

One more rant sorry. But i dissagee, it is the community as a whole. It would be more accurate to say that it is a small minority that cares enough to get involved. Even the bike shops. So if you truly care get involved, or afterwards you wont have the right to complain.

Posted: May 13, 2008 at 8:13 Quote
wrote:
knighhit wrote:
[Quote/ronny]The bottom line here is that a very small minority of the mountain biking community in Calgary is getting our riding areas closed down. The minority are those who continue to build stunts and dig in public parks where doing so is not allowed. It doesn't matter how well your jumps or stunts are made because it's not allowed. Why is this so hard to understand? Btw, almost all of the jumps and stunts that I have checked out in FC looked like absolute shite. This is beside the point because building or digging is not allowed. Follow the rules. If you don't want other riders coming down on you, FOLLOW THE RULES. Getting the point yet? FC is a multi user park and mountain bikers have to respect this. People use this park to get away from the confines of the city and not to see man made mountain bike obstructions. The rules are in place and everyone has to follow them. This is why people are saying go to COP if you want to dj or freeride. Sounds harsh, but this is the way it is and the way it will always be in this city. Hopefully, the city will eventually get a dj park and another dedicated freeride area, but until this happens....follow the rules. Everyone else has to.


The simple truth is that the we are sick and tired of trails getting shut down because of the ignorance of a select few.

One more rant sorry. But i dissagee, it is the community as a whole. It would be more accurate to say that it is a small minority that cares enough to get involved. Even the bike shops. So if you truly care get involved, or afterwards you wont have the right to complain.

I hear you, but it was ultimately the digging, building, and illegal trails in FC that has gotten things to this point. It was the action(s) of the riding minority that have ruined it for the rest. The rules have been in place for a long time and were not followed. I am surprised that this did not happen sooner. I agree that more people have to become involved, but if riders don't respect the park rules, then it is all for not. It does not look good when you see groups of kids on dh bikes with shovels and building materials in provincial parks like FC. I have seen some older riders all suited up on freeride rigs in FC bombing down everything as well. The bottom line is that there is a small group of riders in Calgary that have no respect. It is all about the next set of jumps or stunts to these guys.

I do truly care, but when you have people who don't care (see above) it makes progression extremely difficult. I will do my part though.

Posted: May 13, 2008 at 13:12 Quote
wrote:
ronny wrote:
knighhit wrote:
[Quote/ronny]The bottom line here is that a very small minority of the mountain biking community in Calgary is getting our riding areas closed down. The minority are those who continue to build stunts and dig in public parks where doing so is not allowed. It doesn't matter how well your jumps or stunts are made because it's not allowed. Why is this so hard to understand? Btw, almost all of the jumps and stunts that I have checked out in FC looked like absolute shite. This is beside the point because building or digging is not allowed. Follow the rules. If you don't want other riders coming down on you, FOLLOW THE RULES. Getting the point yet? FC is a multi user park and mountain bikers have to respect this. People use this park to get away from the confines of the city and not to see man made mountain bike obstructions. The rules are in place and everyone has to follow them. This is why people are saying go to COP if you want to dj or freeride. Sounds harsh, but this is the way it is and the way it will always be in this city. Hopefully, the city will eventually get a dj park and another dedicated freeride area, but until this happens....follow the rules. Everyone else has to.


The simple truth is that the we are sick and tired of trails getting shut down because of the ignorance of a select few.

One more rant sorry. But i dissagee, it is the community as a whole. It would be more accurate to say that it is a small minority that cares enough to get involved. Even the bike shops. So if you truly care get involved, or afterwards you wont have the right to complain.

I hear you, but it was ultimately the digging, building, and illegal trails in FC that has gotten things to this point. It was the action(s) of the riding minority that have ruined it for the rest. The rules have been in place for a long time and were not followed. I am surprised that this did not happen sooner. I agree that more people have to become involved, but if riders don't respect the park rules, then it is all for not. It does not look good when you see groups of kids on dh bikes with shovels and building materials in provincial parks like FC. I have seen some older riders all suited up on freeride rigs in FC bombing down everything as well. The bottom line is that there is a small group of riders in Calgary that have no respect. It is all about the next set of jumps or stunts to these guys.

I do truly care, but when you have people who don't care (see above) it makes progression extremely difficult. I will do my part though.

Actually if you ever rode anything other than a shall or paved path in fish creek you are part of the problem. Currently the way the managament plan language reads, the shall paths are acutally "trails" and everything else is off trail and therefor illegal. Its amazing but they wouldn't change it the last time around

Posted: May 13, 2008 at 13:50 Quote
wrote:
knighhit wrote:
ronny wrote:
knighhit wrote:
[Quote/ronny]The bottom line here is that a very small minority of the mountain biking community in Calgary is getting our riding areas closed down. The minority are those who continue to build stunts and dig in public parks where doing so is not allowed. It doesn't matter how well your jumps or stunts are made because it's not allowed. Why is this so hard to understand? Btw, almost all of the jumps and stunts that I have checked out in FC looked like absolute shite. This is beside the point because building or digging is not allowed. Follow the rules. If you don't want other riders coming down on you, FOLLOW THE RULES. Getting the point yet? FC is a multi user park and mountain bikers have to respect this. People use this park to get away from the confines of the city and not to see man made mountain bike obstructions. The rules are in place and everyone has to follow them. This is why people are saying go to COP if you want to dj or freeride. Sounds harsh, but this is the way it is and the way it will always be in this city. Hopefully, the city will eventually get a dj park and another dedicated freeride area, but until this happens....follow the rules. Everyone else has to.


The simple truth is that the we are sick and tired of trails getting shut down because of the ignorance of a select few.

One more rant sorry. But i dissagee, it is the community as a whole. It would be more accurate to say that it is a small minority that cares enough to get involved. Even the bike shops. So if you truly care get involved, or afterwards you wont have the right to complain.

I hear you, but it was ultimately the digging, building, and illegal trails in FC that has gotten things to this point. It was the action(s) of the riding minority that have ruined it for the rest. The rules have been in place for a long time and were not followed. I am surprised that this did not happen sooner. I agree that more people have to become involved, but if riders don't respect the park rules, then it is all for not. It does not look good when you see groups of kids on dh bikes with shovels and building materials in provincial parks like FC. I have seen some older riders all suited up on freeride rigs in FC bombing down everything as well. The bottom line is that there is a small group of riders in Calgary that have no respect. It is all about the next set of jumps or stunts to these guys.

I do truly care, but when you have people who don't care (see above) it makes progression extremely difficult. I will do my part though.

Actually if you ever rode anything other than a shall or paved path in fish creek you are part of the problem. Currently the way the managament plan language reads, the shall paths are acutally "trails" and everything else is off trail and therefor illegal. Its amazing but they wouldn't change it the last time around

I think it is spelled "shale". Regardless, you are skirting the major issue here. I may be "part" of the problem by riding anything other than shale, BUT those who dig and build in a provincial or any other high profile city park are bringing some seriously negative publicity to cycling in Calgary. Bottom line. It is a huge problem right now and one of the main reasons why FC is reducing the trails. I have every right to complain as well because I have been riding the trails in Calgary for over 17 years and it pisses me off to see what is going on right now. When I was younger I loved to huck my bmx and mountainbike, but never once did I go into a provincial park and start digging and building stunts. I followed the rules and so should everyone else. RESPECT.

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 22:22 Quote
jackhennigan wrote:
On my commute home from work today I went through the east end of Fish Creek. Saw a pair of young men on large DH bike and as they if they knew the consequences of building in a park.

Uh.... ok and they returned to hike the little jumps....


We are going to loose Fish Creek because many people do not care about their actions.

My rant...

I have a similar experience while I'm doing my usual ride on the SW side of FC just this afternoon. One kid is shoveling his way to build a small jump, pretty lame and pathetic (pardon me). And saw a group of bikers too on their big rigs, I don't know if they are somewhat related to that same kid, as they are in the area all at the same time, but I hope they gave the kid the sh*t from building that jump as being a minority, I rather not start a confrontation even if I am fuming pissed.

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 14:05 Quote
You can blame it on whoever you want. The typical its the other guys that are the problem only goes so far. What is funny is they tried to ban bikes back in 1994 before there were downhill bikes or kids with shovels everywhere. Back then I was a kid and I did jump off anything I could find, but there were no built stunts or jumps, just natural dirtmounds, or the left overs from the motocross days, before it was a provincial park.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015126
Mobile Version of Website