Cycling restrictions in Fish Creek-Speak Out

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Cycling restrictions in Fish Creek-Speak Out
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 13:17 Quote
Yeah it's the meadow I find scary, once I fell in the tall grass and nobody came to help me up for hours.... and it started to get dark.

OK so I was ranting a bit about how I feel the trail around the one section of hillside was not really appropriate for ....nevermind, just take your kids or your girlfriend there once all the other trails in FCP are closed.

Don't lose sight of what this post is about.

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 14:43 Quote
I hear ya!
I was upset with how trails were being compromised and decided to do something about it this year. I am the new CMBA president and we have a whole slate of new exec's fully charged to make things better. I have not given up on Fish Creek, I love riding there and have just finished designing about 1.4 km of new singletrack in conjunction with 'Friends of Fish Creek' to be built on Aug 19th @ 7pm- Shannon Terrace parking lot. Come help. It's not all good news (possible trail closures) but I feel if we get out and build the relationships with the right people and actually build the trails, we will have some control over how this issue unfolds. We have battles brewing on other fronts (City, Corporate and other Provincial areas) and only so many resources (people), so we need your help if your interested in making a difference. We need a huge number of members on our 'friends of CMBA' Facebook page and soon on www.cmbalink.com in order to have maximum effect with the powers that be. We all want trails, so if come together under one banner (CMBA) and focus our energies on the issues that matter things will roll easily. Presently we are dealing with Fish Creek, Spray Lakes Saw Mills, Provincial parks, Paskapoo slopes, Bowmont, Fish Creek, dirt jump parks etc, etc.

Rob

Posted: Aug 19, 2008 at 12:58 Quote
gravityrules wrote:
Yeah it's the meadow I find scary, once I fell in the tall grass and nobody came to help me up for hours.... and it started to get dark.

OK so I was ranting a bit about how I feel the trail around the one section of hillside was not really appropriate for ....nevermind, just take your kids or your girlfriend there once all the other trails in FCP are closed.

Don't lose sight of what this post is about.
Oh no, please continue! Not appropriate for what? Cycling? I'm pretty sure you can do that there. Walking? Yes... yes, I think that works too. Horseback riding? Well, given that the top of the grass will be at your knees, that's probably okay.

What's your solution? If FC mows the grass down to a level that suits your fancy, you'll complain about how wide the trail is. If they leave it tall, it's scary. Do you have anything constructive to contribute?

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 1:34 Quote
Ah, Calgary.
Home.
Still, I cant seem to rationalize the logic that runs this place.
Everyone has their finger in everyone else's pie.
The city aims to prevent the "ecological dammage" of cyclists on the parks (has anyone else noted that horses are still permitted in many places where bikes are not? and noted the simply depressing ammount of dammage those things make?).
Solution, kick cyclists out of the city, and therefore they will just go away. Close off edworthy, nose hill, FCP, weasle head...etc.
Problem
No legal place to ride, so riders will inevitably set up even more ecologically dammaging and illegal trails because, frankly, they have no alternative.
All the while making MTBing look worse and only pouring acid into already sour milk.

Seriously, can't we all just get along?!? >Frown

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 8:37 Quote
I just don't understand how can a 5' wide trail made of asphat is more enviromentaly friendly then a 14" single track... Madder

Posted: Aug 25, 2008 at 6:13 Quote
MrFrenchy69 wrote:
I just don't understand how can a 5' wide trail made of asphat is more enviromentaly friendly then a 14" single track... Madder
Because Stelmachs buddy's company Pirate that makes the asphalt and the pathway, can't make millions off a 14" wide singletrack!Really Mad

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 22:06 Quote
well, it has begun. I rode through the Marshall Springs area on the way home tonight and there is orange construction fencing all over the place. There is also survey lathe pounded into the ground for what looks like more permanent fencing. One of the reasons I moved into this area 10 years ago was to use the trail network in Fish Creek. I am not happy.

As I stared out across the meadow full of endless orange fencing, a woman (pedestrain) was busy stomping down a section so her two kids could get over the fence and through the meadow. Who do you think is going to get blamed for that?

I see trouble ahead...

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 11:20 Quote
I have mixed feelings about this. In general I think the single track in FCP sucks - 10 m of good riding then 20 m of crap to try to find the next good section. No flow.

But then again look how improving flow did to COP...another rant.

So maybe cleaning it up will do some good.

On the other hand if they start to close trails and put up signs they are just inviting confrontation and encouraging people to carry the necessary tools to remove the offensive signs, fencing etc.

Maybe getting chased by a bylaw officer would be a fun thing.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 11:30 Quote
we dirt jump there and just run when we see the park rangers

Posted: Sep 21, 2008 at 18:46 Quote
More than just fencing going on at Marshall Springs. They had big machinery in the meadow on Friday and removed all the top soil. The area is being sculpted for something. My guess is a parking lot with access from Evergreen Drive. Maybe the orange construction fencing will go away after the construction is done???

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019034
Mobile Version of Website