Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 7:51 Quote
Guess I'll have to try the heli tape! Smile

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 11:55 Quote
A gift for anyone who wants it and has access to 3d printing... I got this idea recently for a printable truing stand and modeled it up. The design is too simple and too easy to steal for it to have any commercial value, so my employer is letting me place the .stl files in the public domain for anyone who wants to print it, modify it, whatever.

I won't get into the details of intended layer orientation, etc. here, but if you want the files I'll be happy to fill you in on all that. Basically, this will work with hub widths between 100 and 150mm and axle diameters 12mm and larger depending on which spacers you use. A 12mmx250mm bolt or equivalent length all thread rod and nut act as a thru axle on the stand and there are slots for feeler gauges to be secured by rubber band, O-ring, etc.

Got a broken thermistor wire on my printer at the moment, but I'll be printing a copy of this to try out as soon as the soldering iron I ordered shows up.....grrrr. If anybody out there wants to print this up and try it out let me know how it works out for ya...

Cheers!

Here s an interesting project and one I can give away. I ve had this idea for a 3d printable truing stand for a couple weeks now. Because it s printable and stupid simple my boss is letting me give it away as a public domain .stl file for anyone who wants to print it. All I ask is if it makes you money cut me in bro

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 1:10 Quote
DIY shock fender
DIY shock fender

lightweight low profile shock fender/flap

Posted: Sep 17, 2017 at 2:47 Quote
^ Very simple, yet very neat.

Posted: Sep 18, 2017 at 21:11 Quote
Such a clean older bighit

Posted: Sep 19, 2017 at 0:44 Quote
Thanks guys- I try to keep her in the best condition possible.

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 5:04 Quote

Fox DHX 5.0 coil OEM shock for Specialized modified with autovalve.

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 5:58 Quote
tene wrote:

I want to know more, why did you mod the boostvalve?

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 6:01 Quote
Barkit wrote:
tene wrote:

Yeah why and how?

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 8:58 Quote
Shiny-side-up wrote:
Barkit wrote:
tene wrote:

Yeah why and how?

I bought the shock from bike shop year ago and was surprised because there were no air valve in the boost valve.
I was even more surprised when I measured the shock last summer: it should have been a 200/57mm shock but the real length was 203/62. Luckily my 29 Jeffsy frame handled the extra length so now I have +10mm more travel in the rear suspension.

After 120 hours of riding with the shock I decided service it.
The boost valve looked like this before the service coresites-cdn.factorymedia.com/bikemagic_new/wp-content/uploads/2005/07/sx_trail_shock_hi.jpg

So after I had changed the oil it was time rebuild the shock. The boost valve should have been pressurised with nitrogen but I wanted to mod the boost valve to take more practical air valve. After visiting a car tire shop I get the auto air valve part. The threads in the valve did not match the boost valves threads but epoxy glue make wonders...
Now I have air-adjustable boost valve like in the normal DHX 5.0 shock.

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 9:24 Quote
Pretty cool. You could maybe have used a tap to be able thread your valve in instead of using epoxy, anyway the mod is legit.

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 10:13 Quote
tene wrote:
Shiny-side-up wrote:
Barkit wrote:

Yeah why and how?

I bought the shock from bike shop year ago and was surprised because there were no air valve in the boost valve.
I was even more surprised when I measured the shock last summer: it should have been a 200/57mm shock but the real length was 203/62. Luckily my 29 Jeffsy frame handled the extra length so now I have +10mm more travel in the rear suspension.

After 120 hours of riding with the shock I decided service it.
The boost valve looked like this before the service coresites-cdn.factorymedia.com/bikemagic_new/wp-content/uploads/2005/07/sx_trail_shock_hi.jpg

So after I had changed the oil it was time rebuild the shock. The boost valve should have been pressurised with nitrogen but I wanted to mod the boost valve to take more practical air valve. After visiting a car tire shop I get the auto air valve part. The threads in the valve did not match the boost valves threads but epoxy glue make wonders...
Now I have air-adjustable boost valve like in the normal DHX 5.0 shock.

Ahh okay, i've recharged the IFP on a Fox RC with NO2 before but i had access to a nitrogen quad and pressure reducing panel.

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 14:53 Quote
https://www.instagram.com/p/BaKm2mJAYt9/

Homemade bottom bracket tool

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027077
Mobile Version of Website