Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 8:06 Quote
ArcherMatt wrote:
Arnoodles wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:

My next big idea is 3d printed rotor covers. I figure we can all benefit from not cutting a leg off every time we crash. A roadie gave me this idea. Guy must be some kind of genius...
Does that actually happen to anyone, though? I think that's just UCI roadie paranoia.

For the jockey wheels, I think I still have a parametric Solidworks file floating around somewhere if that's useful to anyone. Just input the number of teeth and it resizes it automatically. Was for a chainring and cassette iirc but easy enough to change that to a jockey wheel.

Where do you think that file is?
Somewhere on my pc. I made it... lol

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 8:56 Quote
ahhhh,

i'm just printing up some brake spacer things for when the wheels are out, designed it up earlier

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 9:21 Quote
ArcherMatt wrote:
ahhhh,

i'm just printing up some brake spacer things for when the wheels are out, designed it up earlier

I tend to do a lot of stuff like that. Tire levers are super easy to print...

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 10:43 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:
Pedro404 wrote:
I'm pretty sure someone posted 3D printed jockey wheels in this thread a few years ago. There are some models on thingiverse.

My next big idea is 3d printed rotor covers. I figure we can all benefit from not cutting a leg off every time we crash. A roadie gave me this idea. Guy must be some kind of genius...
Does that actually happen to anyone, though? I think that's just UCI roadie paranoia.

For the jockey wheels, I think I still have a parametric Solidworks file floating around somewhere if that's useful to anyone. Just input the number of teeth and it resizes it automatically. Was for a chainring and cassette iirc but easy enough to change that to a jockey wheel.

Happened to Katie Compton a few days ago in a CX race.

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 14:02 Quote
Parlee is way ahead of you!!
photo

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 14:03 Quote
Needs more narwhal!

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 20:28 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
ArcherMatt wrote:
ahhhh,

I tend to do a lot of stuff like that. Tire levers are super easy to print...

I have a set of carbon fiber infused pla tire levers

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2018 at 10:52 Quote
ArcherMatt wrote:
ahhhh,

I just cut an old rotor in 4ths. Stick in pull lever and rubber band the lever. It’s what a lot of the pro DH mechanics were doing when I walked around the pits.

Posted: Feb 17, 2018 at 17:43 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Arnoodles wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:

Happened to Katie Compton a few days ago in a CX race.

That was pretty gnarly looking. The bike polo crowd would be all about some cheap rotor covers.

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 10:29 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
I'd love to market these grips to the general public, but my boss would NEVER let me (for good reasons, I GUESS...), so these are just gonna wind up on a few friends' bikes.

Prototype grip for some friends
Can I be a friend?

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 11:58 Quote
newfie-rides wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:
I'd love to market these grips to the general public, but my boss would NEVER let me (for good reasons, I GUESS...), so these are just gonna wind up on a few friends' bikes.

Prototype grip for some friends
Can I be a friend?

^^^^^^^^^

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 12:01 Quote
Was running a 17 hour 3d print for a group i'm in. Ran it over night, and the print failed around 1 a.m. (6 hours into the print) and all the printer was extruding into nothingness for about 7 hours until i got to campus. Filament was friggen everywhere, and i'm telling the truth and nothing but the truth

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 15:10 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
latheboy wrote:
It doesn't look that good with a knurl on it. rough and quick job though, with more work it might be ok.
Hard to read on an angle.
photo

I like it Smile Looks like the lettering would be tough to print though for molds like the kind I've been making. It's a funny catch 22 kind of problem...

If you want inset letters you're gonna be printing them in thin air without support because the molds print vertically. so fine resolution is tough to get looking really good on the first couple layers of the underside of a letter. That first layer wants to twist/curl/warp. If you go the other route and use raised letters it's easier to print the mold, but harder to keep bubbles out of the raised letters when you add the urethane to cast a grip. Spinning the mold with a drill motor helps, but doesn't TOTALLY work every time.

Nice knurling, though. How did you model that? I'm thinking I'd like to try finer knurling like the checkering on a pistol grip or a rifle stock with raised letters or stars or some other simple shapes, but that might give me trouble to print, too. Sometimes there's a significant gap between what I can model on the computer and what will actually print nice....
Its a Extrude cut on a helix, then circular pattern and then a mirror.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cV02ItXEA4

Cut the lettering after that and another circular pattern

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 15:17 Quote
photo
Looks better as an extrude boss

It would be a bitch to print this.

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 17:26 Quote
latheboy wrote:
photo
Looks better as an extrude boss

It would be a bitch to print this.

If you were to print a mold from that model in the same way that I've been doing, I'd actually expect it to print BETTER this way with the embossed letters than the inscribed... but possibly not cast completely free of bubbles in the letters. Tiny features trap bubbles. I definitely like this look better.

This is a cool time to be into DIYstuff. You can do a lot with some pretty affordable software and equipment these days.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.027965
Mobile Version of Website