Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
Posted: May 4, 2018 at 23:23 Quote
you should make one of those for an external BB

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 4:57 Quote
False wrote:
you should make one of those for an external BB

This WOULD fit some bb cups, but the fact that it's plastic means you'll strip the teeth out before you reach manufacturer's spec for torque. ...And anybody with hands strong enough to install or remove a bb with a tool like this is probably not human and doesn't ride bikes anyway Wink

The whole idea was just to come up with an emergency solution that costs almost nothing, weighs almost nothing and that anyone with access to a 3d printer can make quickly and easily. Personally, I'll probably use this model mostly as a test print to check machine setup and keep a jar of 'em on my desk to give away to visitors and throw in with wheel orders.

If your bb comes unscrewed while you're out riding I got nothin' for that, but if I come up with something I'll post it here!

O+
Posted: May 5, 2018 at 11:03 Quote
Anyone have any open sourced stl files for some bike tools? Want to expand my tool kit, and print some tools I don't use often in abs (school has a stratasys) Any tools that don't get a lot of force, or do (if I print with a higher infill)

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 14:26 Quote
ArcherMatt wrote:
Anyone have any open sourced stl files for some bike tools? Want to expand my tool kit, and print some tools I don't use often in abs (school has a stratasys) Any tools that don't get a lot of force, or do (if I print with a higher infill)

Most of my tool designs I can't share because my employer has intellectual property rights to them, but if you could use a bladed spoke gripper I can share that with you...but not 'til Monday because that file is on my work computer. If that helps, hit me up...

Just a 3d printed bladed spoke gripper. Doing more builds on Sapim CX-Rays these days. 10 min. of modeling time 10 cents worth of plastic 37 min. of print time saves a lot of headaches...

O+
Posted: May 5, 2018 at 17:01 Quote
Wicked cool tool, just don't have bladed spokes, not that fancy, haha. What do you do?!?!?!

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 18:37 Quote
ArcherMatt wrote:
Wicked cool tool, just don't have bladed spokes, not that fancy, haha. What do you do?!?!?!
If you look through the shop pics on my PB page it'll give you a pretty good idea of what I do. I work for a small startup in the bike business as a wheel builder/can-you-figure-this-out kind of guy, It's a really great job that I totally stumbled into through blind luck. tup

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 19:25 Quote
Wish I had a 3-D printer...lol

I've been thinking on getting one but considering there's so many of them out there, I don't know what I'd get.

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 19:55 Quote
debonis wrote:

I've been thinking on getting one but considering there's so many of them out there, I don't know what I'd get.

The Creality Ender 2 can be found for less than $200 online and is pretty beginner friendly. There's also a group on FB dedicated to it where you can get questions answered. It won't print anything large, but it'll do some pretty fine detail. I have one and I use it about as much as my bigger more expensive machine. It's not as technically sophisticated, but it works. Kind of like a VW beetle. You can hotrod it, but you don't have to.

Give it a shot. It's not rocket surgery. All the software you need to generate models and print them can be had for free online and there's plenty of videos on YouTube to learn from. Who knows? Maybe you'll invent that perfect widget that every bicyclist needs and be set for life...

O+
Posted: May 5, 2018 at 20:31 Quote
debonis wrote:

Prusa i3 MK2S is also a really good printer. for 600 bucks. You just have to assemble it, but otherwise works like a charm. Have printed with petg, pla, bronze fill, wood fill, and different types of flexible materials!

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 21:03 Quote
it can print bronze?

O+
Posted: May 6, 2018 at 7:17 Quote
False wrote:
it can print bronze?

Yeah sort of. Its bronze flakes mixed with PLA, a pain to get working, but when I finally got the settings dialed in, it worked nice. Used it for parts for the club i'm in!

Posted: May 12, 2018 at 18:11 Quote
Took my topeak mini 9 apart and made handles for it out of scrap aluminum. Its more comfortable and much easier to use plus i can get more torque out of it. Also added a lanyard.
photo

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 10:59 Quote
Testing out my new saddle mold. Decided to make a saddle/post combo to put on my dirt jumper.
photo
photo

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 11:44 Quote
Good work sir.

Before anyone else asks, whats it weigh?

O+
Posted: May 23, 2018 at 11:49 Quote
Can somebody with a 3-D printer please print a bracket to carry my bell super2 Chin bar on rides? Just saying don’t know why it ain’t out there yet.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017929
Mobile Version of Website