Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 19:20 Quote
skorp wrote:
photo

Made som bushings for the pedal on my work bike.. Rarely use a lathe so this was fun, need to make more stuff on it.
I need a set for my squeaky pedals!

Posted: Jul 11, 2018 at 4:37 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
Still need to put marks on it, but this is my solution to wondering what gear I'm in when I'm too scared to look down at my cassette! Smile If you want to print one, you can find this on Thingiverse under my username (I'm RunsWithScissors there, too).

Do you not just keep clicking down when you need more speed and keep clicking up when you need more powarh?

Posted: Jul 11, 2018 at 7:05 Quote
madmonky wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:
Still need to put marks on it, but this is my solution to wondering what gear I'm in when I'm too scared to look down at my cassette! Smile If you want to print one, you can find this on Thingiverse under my username (I'm RunsWithScissors there, too).

Do you not just keep clicking down when you need more speed and keep clicking up when you need more powarh?

Of course, but when I'm approaching a sudden steep climb at speed in a high gear I like to be able quickly see what gear I'm in and downshift enough gears at the right moment(s) to sustain as much speed as possible without downshifting under load half way up the hill. Sure, a fair amount of modern drivetrains will tolerate shifting under load to varying degrees, but why beat up the gear if you can easily avoid it?

Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 16:41 Quote
I agree with madmonky, I don't ride uphill but riding my dh bike I just can tell if I'm in the right gear or need to up/downshift.

Same with my moto and pickup truck though, it just seems weird you guys have a "gear reminder". Is it more of a road cycle thing?

Posted: Jul 14, 2018 at 3:26 Quote
It's more of a bad habit/laziness thing.

Those of us that rode back when 5x2 speed was pretty fair, got used to keeping track of the gear we were in, as the range was limited, and cross chaining sounded so bad that even the most ignorant riders accepted it being a bad idea.

Now there are like 10-12 speed cassettes out there, and people generally shift according to feel, and hope they don't run out of options. This is especially true for the crowd that never saw anything but 1xX.
The grand result is that people began favoring 1xX, as they had trouble with 2xX and 3xX.
The boring consequence is that the drive trains become weaker and weaker, and significantly less durable, all in the name of the lowest common denominator.
On top of that, the loss in the drive train is increasing significantly, as the chain angle increases, but that also seems to pass over most peoples heads.

So yeah, get used to keeping track of the gear you're in. Having to look at some indicator is not going to do you any favors in most cases.

Magura Big Grin

Posted: Jul 21, 2018 at 15:04 Quote
You're old!!! Love ya buddy!!

WTHPimp

Posted: Sep 10, 2018 at 12:42 Quote
The EDC tool came up on another thread, thought I'd post my VERY homemade version here.
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Sep 10, 2018 at 13:00 Quote
Nifty!

Is that a form of 'swell latch' to lock in place? i.e. do you turn the wing nut to compress a rubber washer that swells and grips the steerer tube?

Cheers + ride safe

Posted: Sep 10, 2018 at 13:03 Quote
Yeah, basically it's a cut down tapered rubber bung with washers either side and an M6 thumb screw which can also be screwed into the chain tool for purchase.

Posted: Nov 8, 2018 at 12:03 Quote
FoxShox Lyke RC2 Coil 29" 120mm

FoxShox Lyke RC2 Coil 29 120mm. Standard Fox 36 RC2 damper fitted to a 26 Pike CSU 29 Lyrik lowers and coil parts from older generation Lyrik Boxxer.
FoxShox Lyke RC2 Coil 29" 120mm. Standard Fox 36 RC2 damper fitted to a 26" Pike CSU, 29" Lyrik lowers, and coil parts from older generation Lyrik/Boxxer.

FoxShox Lyke RC2 Coil 29 120mm. Standard Fox 36 RC2 damper fitted to a 26 Pike CSU 29 Lyrik lowers and coil parts from older generation Lyrik Boxxer.

Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 1:05 Quote
JimmyGrand wrote:
Amazing. Do the top cap threads on the CSU and RC2 assembly match, or did you have to modify them?

Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 3:31 Quote
Pedro404 wrote:
JimmyGrand wrote:
Amazing. Do the top cap threads on the CSU and RC2 assembly match, or did you have to modify them?

I designed a new top bit for the damper, and I had to slightly modify other parts to make it fit aswell. In the end it works alright, but you need to be happy to use a hacksaw and and file on some rather expensive parts.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2018 at 9:49 Quote
photo
photo

Home made bash guard made using some kydex, a heat gun, a dremel, and some heat shrink tape.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019541
Mobile Version of Website