Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 8:22 Quote
metaam wrote:
Yeah, I think there's only one person doubting you here. Nice work.
Thanks Metaam!

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 10:30 Quote
Here is it.

Just a quick photo, bad quality but I will take some tomorrow.

Love the roughness of the freshly machined piece.

So here it is.

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 16:53 Quote
walkingtall76 wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
walkingtall76 wrote:

Lol- the last few threads prove its clearly not rare! If you dont know anything about bikes don't ride them .. the ignorance here is overwhelming

ssshshhhhhh just go back to riding your oversized bmx. Leave this thread in peace.

"ssshshhhhhh just go back to riding your oversized bmx" - ignorance at it's finest, I rest my
case.. lol
You would ream out the old threads resulting in a set ID, The OD of the part posted previously will be ever so slightly larger allowing press fit tolerances between the two. The threads between the two halves are used to install the cups into the frame instead of using a pressing tool, because the threaded center section stays within the frame the cups are kept in tension which makes them less likely to move within the Shell which will reduce noise.

Wheels manufacturing and other component manufacturers have employed this type of design for a number of years with nothing but praise, your failure to comprehend how something works doesn't make something stupid, all it does is prove that you are.

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 18:00 Quote
Why not have the external cups use the shell itself to bind against, similar to the way that Niners Biocentric EBB works?

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 3:45 Quote
Who's the Aussie super engineer?

It's a collet style BB, just like a handful of manufacturers already make, and just like I already use on my road bike, a pressfit shell BB where a collect arrangement in the centre provides added holding power and guaranteed alignment.

Maybe stop diging the hole.

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 5:59 Quote
Personally I like digging holes.

Magura Smile

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 6:54 Quote
Yeh, but you're an engineer, he's just in over his head...

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 9:20 Quote
New levers for my old trusty Formula Oro. Longer, lower, slacker, ... well, just longer for some more power and modulation.
Actually I also made them a bit more angled inwards, as the originals were a bit too flat for me. Not sure if it counts as "slacker" :p

photo

photo

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 12:05 Quote
Looking good!
One of the parts few people DIY, yet with a lot more potential gain than what most people make.
I've made levers for several of my brakes over the years, and I'll probably do it again.

Magura Smile

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 14:11 Quote
sq225917 wrote:
Yeh, but you're an engineer, he's just in over his head...

Lol- Another Pom, your ignorance does you about as much credit as your ability to play Rugby. The reason why bike companies are trying to move away from( English ewww, how's your teeth) threaded BB's is the difficulty and inconsistency they have in manufacturing the threads to be a precise fit. By utilising a wider threadless BB shell that encases the entire BB they can eliminate imperfections in thread manufacturing and also at the same time strengthen the BB by moving the external bearings inside the bike to eliminate extra stress and strength issues that come with having something attached to the frame (threaded or not) rather than being encased entirely within. Not unlike modern headsets! ( you know what headsets are, right?)

Now- it's clear that your inibility to understand simple science has you inevitably pronounced as a common keyboard warrior ( a white knight, if females were invovled, right? Yes...) that's fine, but it's not rocket science that something press fit internally, encasing all its dimensions will be by far superior by strength and support to anything external that has no direct attachment (or otherwise) to the immediate area it's attached to- whether it's internally threaded or not! Now you can go and produce all the articles you want about manufacturers producing your said BB- but they do that because idiots like you pay for them. Its called retail...

Now, if idiots like you weren't sold on all these latest gadgets that manufacturers produce telling you how wonderful they are, they would go out of business, just like the English have done with Brexit... out of business Wink

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 14:48 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
walkingtall76 wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:

ssshshhhhhh just go back to riding your oversized bmx. Leave this thread in peace.

"ssshshhhhhh just go back to riding your oversized bmx" - ignorance at it's finest, I rest my
case.. lol
You would ream out the old threads resulting in a set ID, The OD of the part posted previously will be ever so slightly larger allowing press fit tolerances between the two. The threads between the two halves are used to install the cups into the frame instead of using a pressing tool, because the threaded center section stays within the frame the cups are kept in tension which makes them less likely to move within the Shell which will reduce noise.

Wheels manufacturing and other component manufacturers have employed this type of design for a number of years with nothing but praise, your failure to comprehend how something works doesn't make something stupid, all it does is prove that you are.

Lol- ( going simply by your explanation) if something has a press fit tolerance it won't rotate, you can't thread two pieces together if the pieces that need to be threaded have a press fit tolerance! with a tool or self exacting, if the tolerances were as tight as they would need to be ( in your explanation) it would start stripping the outer shell of the BB. Wow, this is entertaining

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 15:02 Quote
walkingtall76 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
walkingtall76 wrote:

case.. lol

Lol- ( going simply by your explanation) if something has a press fit tolerance it won't rotate, you can't thread two pieces together if the pieces that need to be threaded have a press fit tolerance! with a tool or self exacting, if the tolerances were as tight as they would need to be ( in your explanation) it would start stripping the outer shell of the BB. Wow, this is entertaining

Once you comprehend the basics, commence debating.

Magura Smile

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 15:17 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:
walkingtall76 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Once you comprehend the basics, commence debating.

Magura Smile

Lol- Basics are comprehended mate. ( His description is not plausible) It's fact that if something has a press fit tolerance it will not rotate, especially enough for rotational threading! Once something is pressed, it doesn't feaking turn- Hence the term "PRESS" fit. You can have internal threads and they can screw together perfectly fine- but the external dimension of the BB will not have a PRESS fit TOLERANCE- lol

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 15:26 Quote
walkingtall76 wrote:
Lol- Basics are comprehended mate.

Clearly not, as several others also have tried to explain to you.

Magura Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017477
Mobile Version of Website