Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 4:12 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
Had one of them on my old sworks enduro and it solved my creaking issues and never loosened or gave me any trouble. One of the best solutions to press fit bottom brackets around
You are mistaken. This can not possibly work.

Rolleyes

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:
Had one of them on my old sworks enduro and it solved my creaking issues and never loosened or gave me any trouble. One of the best solutions to press fit bottom brackets around

Rolleyes

Yep, sorry bikerboywill, I'm calling BS on this, you obviously haven't got a clue what you're on about. I hope you aren't planning on retiring anytime soon if this is your level of understanding. Especially when you take into account how much it'll cost to sort out your dodgy British teeth. Oh, and by the way, your countrymen are shit at rugby, even though they spanked Australia a few weeks ago. lol

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 10:18 Quote
I think the last 5 or 6 pages of this thread has given me brain cancer.

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 10:22 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
I think the last 5 or 6 pages of this thread has given me brain cancer.
yup

Just report all of walkingtall76's post since he's basically just spamming the thread at this point.

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 10:24 Quote
Incapable. Been reduced to a drooling mess at this point.

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 10:34 Quote
metaam wrote:
Arnoodles wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:

Rolleyes

Yep, sorry bikerboywill, I'm calling BS on this, you obviously haven't got a clue what you're on about. I hope you aren't planning on retiring anytime soon if this is your level of understanding. Especially when you take into account how much it'll cost to sort out your dodgy British teeth. Oh, and by the way, your countrymen are shit at rugby, even though they spanked Australia a few weeks ago. lol

Yeah, I guess our Australian friend mistook unemployed for being retired.
But you're probably right on the money about the teeth though.

Magura Big Grin

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 10:42 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:

It's just a matter of how you look at it. We should all strive to be so optimistic.

Here's a guide on how to retire three years after finishing(?) school.

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 3:01 Quote
F_ck me, what a tool he was.

So keen to prove his mega intellect and experience that he failed to see that it's already a proven method for fixing creeky press fit BB's, and missed out on the fact that just because something is 'press fit' doesn't mean it's an 'interferance fit'. One's a fitment method the other is a fixation.

I'll let the personal insults slide, R-M-R has him bang to rights. I can only assume his parents don't usually let he near a web connected computer.

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 22:07 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:
metaam wrote:
Arnoodles wrote:

Rolleyes

But you're probably right on the money about the teeth though.

Magura Big Grin

Hahahaha- lol - You guys are such a pack of woofters, do you share your KY jelly? I thought the name walkingtall"76" would've given it away to you bright sparks... 44 next year, retired nearly 5 years- Real Estate! Enjoy your day ladies, Peace and love Wink

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 22:27 Quote
Ahh that explains it all....more money than brains and no education.

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 23:16 Quote
This was entertaining. A realtor selling Gold Coast holiday homes, debating an actual well respected engineer for a bunch of pages. I really appreciated that his brother in law was a plumber.

Anyone make anything sweet as of late?

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 1:07 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Ahh that explains it all....more money than brains and no education.

Education- says the guy who...

" The fit between a headset and a bb will have different “tightness” depending on the design"

different "tightness" .. lol

What a laugh... enjoy your day brother

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 1:26 Quote
bonfire wrote:
This was entertaining. A realtor selling Gold Coast holiday homes, debating an actual well respected engineer for a bunch of pages. I really appreciated that his brother in law was a plumber.

Anyone make anything sweet as of late?
Bought a fairly large Lodge and Shipley counter shaft lathe a while back. I've been trying to learn the ins and outs of it with limited success. I'm working on a a new thread profile for oilfield tubulars, the goal is to end up with something similar in cost to an St&c or lt&c thread but with better torque handling and two integrated sealing methods. I'm hoping I can patent the design and sell it to tenaris or another tubular company and retire before 30, we will see how it goes.

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 3:42 Quote
That sounds like a good idea, and a possible outcome.
A couple of things to keep in mind:
If you wanna sell IP, and receive a significant amount of cash for it, you have to get things through the patent process, which takes you something like 5 to 6 years, with the right people involved, from the time of application, and some $100k+.

I've done this a number of times by now, and another thing most people seem to not pay attention to, is the prior art. A large part of getting a patent, is to make sure there's no conflicting prior art. This again is fairly time consuming, and will cost you some cash too.
It's well worth it in the end, as it prevents you from wasting time and money, and a potential buyer will want to see such work done. They will do their own due dilligence anyway, but they may not even bother dealing with you if you have not done so.
This also is a fine way to get inspiration for optimization of your own IP.

.....and early retirement is nicer as a dream, than once you can actually do so. Then you figure that what you did to get there was actually quite good fun, and will in one way or another continue.
It's much like anything else you covet. Once you can just go and buy yourself that Porsche, you realize it's got no room for the bikes, and you get a stationcar that you drive all the time anyway. Sooner or later you're down to the stationcar as the only vehicle, cause the dream of owning a Porsche was much nicer than actually owning one.

Beating your chest, yelling "I'm right and you're wrong, cause I'm retired" on public forums, most people that actually makes it to an early retirement, well, they learned enough on the way to not do that. Big Grin

Magura Smile

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 3:55 Quote
A former colleague in oilfield set up a company based off of his IP, he licensed it out at a few cents per foot drilled with his tech. Needless to say, absolutely minted, but he still came in to work to do other things as he loved his job so much.

My name is on a couple of patents but unfortunately my employment contract meant they're the property of the employer. Got a couple of hundred quid as a bonus for each of them though so better than nothing.

Also, as I'm sure you're finding out, designing oilfield threads is HARD. Then you've got to make sure any customers believe you when you say it's compliant with API Spec 7 / DS1 etc.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009956
Mobile Version of Website