Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 12:19 Quote
Are you going to be flying with that? Those alum channel sections might not hold up well to the abuse of baggage handling.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 15:34 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Are you going to be flying with that? Those alum channel sections might not hold up well to the abuse of baggage handling.

Have a trip to Innsbruck booked for July, keeping fingers crossed it doesn’t get cancelled. The box section holding the wheels is pretty tough, and I’ve removed all material that sticks out. They are a lot more solid than any suitcase I’ve ever owned and a hell of a lot better than my mates chain reaction pro bike bag wheels. I did originally have one long axle running through both wheels for extra support but I didn’t think it was necessary after I put it together separately. Worst case I could always add a couple of small corner brackets to brace in between the wheels but really don’t think it needs it. Time will tell hopefully

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 2:52 Quote
So far so good.

Few tweaks will be implemented on next one, but with 125 grams in total its pretty nice. And much more refining to be done.

Titanium bolts to be custom made.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 4:09 Quote
Why the need for custom Ti bolts rather than off-the-shelf?

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 4:42 Quote
why choose for two gaps, instead of a 'no-gap' and 'gap' side on the clamps?

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 4:56 Quote
Looks very much like the DMR defy stem, which is a compliment, if anything Wink

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 12:50 Quote
@secondtimeuser

Everything I do is using only the best materials, so to have finished stem, it has to be with titanium bolts.

@Grumposaur

I just love symmetry and it just dont feel that nice to have one side no gap and other with gap.

@TibZ

Thank you. I actually like DMR stem, but mine is much wider. I was focusing on just making it 70 mm wide and did not want to copy anyone. But stem wise, its had to make something which is completely different. Something like that Trust forks.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 1:02 Quote
Pretty sure he was asking why custom ti not off the shelf ti? No argument over the titanium, just why custom when you can go and buy them?

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 2:14 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
Pretty sure he was asking why custom ti not off the shelf ti? No argument over the titanium, just why custom when you can go and buy them?

Corona. Safer to make your own.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 5:14 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:

Cause forged and rolled standard Ti screws are too safe, where's the adrenaline rush in that?

Magura Smile

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 5:31 Quote
Actually I need the outer diameter less wider than standard, and I need to have edge chamfer big enough to be in line with lines of the stem.

Crankset is in production also. Will be a blast Big Grin

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 6:28 Quote
Not gonna lie dude, that seems a dubious reason. Different diameters are available, and surely the chamfer could be adjusted a fraction to come in line with stock bolts? As magura said, forged and rolled are better than turned.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 6:31 Quote
Though don't take my comments the wrong way, the stem is absolutely stunning, and my level of metal working is hand filing still, but I'd still use stock bolts if possible even if I had everything at my disposal.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 6:38 Quote
not trying to be negative either but the cost of making your own bolts is gonna really add onto the stem if your planning on selling them. its your part tho, stem looks great. excited to see the cranks

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011698
Mobile Version of Website