Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
Posted: May 13, 2020 at 16:29 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
I doubt you can put the same upward force on the pedal during your stoke as you can with clips. it should actually be impossible, if you can also release easily.

The idea you can put in more power into clips on the upstroke than flats has been pretty thoroughly debunked. GCN has a good video about it. Clips are so you can keep your feet planted in rough stuff, not for power transfer.

There's a few videos/articles out there to back this up, but this is at least a more entertaining watch!

The thing that I hate mag pedals for is that it makes moving your foot insanely hard, while adding no benefit of traction or power transfer.

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 17:07 Quote
I also came to think of that GCN clip.
Technically you can put more power into clipless pedals, but it's a very short burst, which will be averaged out, as we are not limited by muscle power but cardio. Long term fatique could be a factor as well though, which they didn't account for.
So yeah, unless you're trying to outsprint someone, magnets wouldn't be a drawback in that regard.
Like others I just fail to see the benefit of them.
If one needs to hang on to the pedals, a caged SPD pedal is not exactly a new invention, and they are working under harsh conditions. The magnets are in no way able to deal with mud and debris, without loosing ant potential benefit there may be.

Magura Smile

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 17:20 Quote
I know this might be hard to make and all, but I like the idea of going clipped, just I crash so much. I would dramatically increase my injury’s if I wasn’t able to use my legs, so that’s why I use flats. I know you can clip out fast if you get used to it, but does anyone have any ideas. I have a 3D printer, and a friend who has almost any metal part you can think of. Maybe I can make something?

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 17:23 Quote
Actually I might’ve thought of something... a pedal with little sliders, so that you can slide in, from the side, and not have any horizontal movement.

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 17:24 Quote
JacobyDH wrote:
I know this might be hard to make and all, but I like the idea of going clipped, just I crash so much. I would dramatically increase my injury’s if I wasn’t able to use my legs, so that’s why I use flats. I know you can clip out fast if you get used to it, but does anyone have any ideas. I have a 3D printer, and a friend who has almost any metal part you can think of. Maybe I can make something?
Have you ridden clips? They 100% come unclipped almost every crash. I feel more secure in flats then I do clips, there's a sensation of standing on I've with clips that I can't get comfortable with.

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 17:27 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
JacobyDH wrote:
Have you ridden clips? They 100% come unclipped almost every crash. I feel more secure in flats then I do clips, there's a sensation of standing on I've with clips that I can't get comfortable with.
I have clips, and I rode them once. I got in a crash, and destroyed the shoes, and a little bit of one of the pedals, so it didn’t quite turn out right. Maybe I shouldn’t have hit a drop my first time on them, but maybe I’ll get new shoes, and repair it.

O+
Posted: May 13, 2020 at 18:08 Quote
I think I have had 1 or 2 crashes where my foot didn't unclip and those where all very slow fall to the side stall crashes. 1 on the trail the other on the side of the road.

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 19:19 Quote
I think everybody that are using clipless have had 1 or 2 stall crashes, that simply goes with the learning curve.
After that most people never do that again.
I've helped a large number of people getting started with clipless over the years. Every single one I've told they'd crash due to low speed once in the beginning, and once more when they get over confident. So far I have one single example of that not coming true, and that's a guy who was used to spinning.

So don't be so discouraged from a single crash.

Magura Smile

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 19:21 Quote
JacobyDH wrote:
Actually I might’ve thought of something... a pedal with little sliders, so that you can slide in, from the side, and not have any horizontal movement.

Some of the early roadie clipless systems worked in a similar fashion. Needless to say they're history for a reason.

Magura Wink

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 23:25 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
As much as its cool concept the weight added and the small amount of added force created by the magnets wouldn't be that helpful. Also the amount of dirt sticking to the magnets would get annoying. My osprey pack has a magnetic clip on it and that thing attracts dirt with iron content in it all the time.
that magnet haz 25kg force but i used tin metal so int works like 12k..
we got magnetic pedal on the market for 150$

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 23:31 Quote
JacobyDH wrote:
kaveh wrote:
best thing ever!!
magnetic pedals
You should sell them. I would definitely buy!
tup Salute
buy one if it is possible for u
u wont get back on it, chose 510 shoes whit spd capabilities

https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/magped/enduro-200-magnet.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwg6b0BRBMEiwANd1_SD1GqPVymhHy5vUe-Ab8ByYK3ILrgPSTKXz2gv_55AVhEFjfQUg2qBoC28EQAvD_BwE&hc_fcv=XooZPRHLTXxesaY9~LccNDSA2RFQOkU0gzzzzzzzz~LccND4E2-cw7wk14zzzzzzzz

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 23:36 Quote
buildstuf wrote:
JacobyDH wrote:
kaveh wrote:
best thing ever!!
magnetic pedals
You should sell them. I would definitely buy!
Hmm. I’m not sure what kind of advantage you would gain over flats or clips with magnets.
after on clipping u can put your foot where ever u like (for Temporary use) +soft shoes

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 23:51 Quote
JacobyDH wrote:

https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/magped/enduro-200-magnet.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwg6b0BRBMEiwANd1_SD1GqPVymhHy5vUe-Ab8ByYK3ILrgPSTKXz2gv_55AVhEFjfQUg2qBoC28EQAvD_BwE&hc_fcv=XooZPRHLTXxesaY9~LccNDSA2RFQOkU0gzzzzzzzz~LccND4E2-cw7wk14zzzzzzzz

Posted: May 14, 2020 at 0:42 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Clips are so you can keep your feet planted in rough stuff, not for power transfer.

That is not the message I got from the video.

Posted: May 14, 2020 at 14:49 Quote
Could you elaborate? The video seems fairly well set in it's final result of clips not adding power.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011113
Mobile Version of Website