Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
Author Message
Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 18:59 Quote
Hi Folks, just found this thread today and thought my homemade frame bag on my handbuilt frame would fit nicely.

The method for attachment to the frame has gone through many iterations and I'm still working on finding the cleanest and easiest method. I think magnets will be my next try.

I'll try to make a mechanical component for my next homemade part post!





Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 19:03 Quote
That's actually gorgeous. Looks amazing on the clear steel frame. Do you have any off-bike photos?

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 19:05 Quote
rosemarywheel wrote:
Beecee336 wrote:
Homemade headset press I made a little while back using scraps I had laying around the shop.
I turned the aluminum and delrin slugs on the lathe and machined then welded the handle and welded a single handle to a 1/2" nut.

Gorgeous welds!

Thanks bud!

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 20:29 Quote
bikeracer28, that's a seriously classy frame bag.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 20:39 Quote
crs-one wrote:
That's actually gorgeous. Looks amazing on the clear steel frame. Do you have any off-bike photos?

Ditto.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 20:57 Quote
crs-one wrote:
That's actually gorgeous. Looks amazing on the clear steel frame. Do you have any off-bike photos?

Thanks for the compliments folks! No off-bike photos now but I'll try to remember to get some tomorrow and post them. It will be a good excuse to try a different technique for mounting to the frame as well

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 21:14 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
rosemarywheel wrote:
Beecee336 wrote:
Homemade headset press I made a little while back using scraps I had laying around the shop.
I turned the aluminum and delrin slugs on the lathe and machined then welded the handle and welded a single handle to a 1/2" nut.

Gorgeous welds!

Thanks bud!

And has that been sandblasted? The handle?

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 11:20 Quote
rosemarywheel wrote:
Beecee336 wrote:
rosemarywheel wrote:


Gorgeous welds!

Thanks bud!

And has that been sandblasted? The handle?

Ya just to clean up the discoloration in the stainless.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 13:44 Quote
bikeracer28 wrote:
crs-one wrote:
That's actually gorgeous. Looks amazing on the clear steel frame. Do you have any off-bike photos?

Thanks for the compliments folks! No off-bike photos now but I'll try to remember to get some tomorrow and post them. It will be a good excuse to try a different technique for mounting to the frame as well

that bag is fantastic..! you did a hell of a job crafting that. Salute

I'd totally keep with the attachment method you have though. I think it not only looks very cool, it will probably stay in place better than having it held on with magnets.

I'm not going to apologize. I like that so much that my vote is to keep the laced mounting method. 2 cents Beer

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 14:26 Quote
I think the magnet option should be pursued as an experiment, but the laced attachment has a fur trapper / frontiersman aesthetic that's a wonderful counterpoint to molded foams and Boa dials.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 17:45 Quote
While the laced attachment is not only looking great, it's also reliable.
Magnet attachment of bags and what not, has been tried by various manufacturers over the years, without success.
Some here will be old enough to remember when somebody tried to sell magnetic bike lights, and even handlebar bags.
It's always been seeming very smart, up to the point where it failed, and it always did.
Magnets has the drawback, that the clamping force can't differ between when you're riding, and when you want to take the bag off, so either it's gonna be a pain to take off, or it's gonna fall off by accident at some point.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 8:01 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:
While the laced attachment is not only looking great, it's also reliable.
Magnet attachment of bags and what not, has been tried by various manufacturers over the years, without success.
Some here will be old enough to remember when somebody tried to sell magnetic bike lights, and even handlebar bags.
It's always been seeming very smart, up to the point where it failed, and it always did.
Magnets has the drawback, that the clamping force can't differ between when you're riding, and when you want to take the bag off, so either it's gonna be a pain to take off, or it's gonna fall off by accident at some point.

Fidlock has a good magnet system but it also has a pretty large degree of mechanical involvement with how it stays in place. I dig the laced attachment especially for a hand made frame unless it needs to be taken off and put back on frequently.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 15:46 Quote
Fidlock I'd say is magnetic assist locking system.
It's smart though, counting out that it kills credic cards and the like.

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 19:14 Quote
Thanks for the input and compliments! I do like the aesthetic of the lace attachment, but taking it on and off when I wash the bike is a bit time consuming. I've tested a few different mechanical fixing methods and lacing works the best. I tried magnets the other day and they were not strong enough. Could buy stronger but will probably just stick with laces for now. Toggles on elastic cord may be a good thing to try next.

Anyway, here are a couple photos, I've got more on in my profile as well. It's not perfect but I'm happy with it Big Grin




Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 20:06 Quote
The external tool holster is a nice idea.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010200
Mobile Version of Website