Trails in progress, show us your building skill.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Trails in progress, show us your building skill.
Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 6:52 Quote
What should I do if wet dirt is always sticking to my shovel? thanks in advance.

Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 7:09 Quote
jackoconnor wrote:
What should I do if wet dirt is always sticking to my shovel? thanks in advance.

I heard spraying with pam works. If youre building with wet dirt its likely to crack and shrink as it dries.

Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 8:25 Quote
It's in the motion. Dnot bother with oils and shit.

Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 8:33 Quote
Slap and slide!

Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 23:12 Quote
Thanks will try all.Smile

Posted: Aug 6, 2017 at 1:45 Quote
if its sticking it usually can be packed more, after an initial pack try use a wide, flat shovel and either put the head in a sandbag or wrap it in tarp or another thick, durable plastic. Smack the ever living f*ck out of it with that, don't use your good shovels pick up some cheap all steel ones as the shovel will break regularly.

after that, use a longer flat shovel to both even it out and butter it, wet the back of the shovel with water and make sure the surface of the jump stays moist.

got some pretty good results this way, this berm was untouched for 3 years and is still riding better than most jump spots I have been to.

the berm

Posted: Aug 6, 2017 at 5:09 Quote
thanks - that berm is amazing. btw is there a feature that will speed me up( I seem to always slow down right before one of my berms)

Posted: Aug 6, 2017 at 5:28 Quote
rollers work well and double rollers give you options (pump, manual, jump) all depends on speed and how much room you have.

Posted: Aug 6, 2017 at 5:57 Quote
I have rollers but they seem to slow me down. would that be because they are too small. I have about 15-20 feet between the the jump (before the berm) and the berm.

Posted: Aug 6, 2017 at 23:46 Quote
Rollers shouldn't slow you down, try re shaping them, hard to say without seeing it in person. Usually if they slow you down they're either too tall or too steep.

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 2:58 Quote
thanks I will try and get a picture of them

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 23:09 Quote
jackoconnor wrote:

Get it roughly shaped.

Sprinkle a little water on what you want to smooth out. Then beat it in. As you hit it you want the spade to slide across the surface rather hit it straight.

Starts to stick just add more water.

Mod
Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 8:35 Quote
If water is not readily available, leaf-matter can also help. Failing that, leave it to dry out for a day or two then pack/shape. In the meantime, build more stuff.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.031057
Mobile Version of Website