Trails in progress, show us your building skill.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Trails in progress, show us your building skill.
Posted: Aug 12, 2017 at 2:22 Quote
what is leaf mater?Confused Big Grin

Posted: Aug 12, 2017 at 8:09 Quote
jackoconnor wrote:
what is leaf mater?Confused Big Grin
decomposing leaves and stuff I presume, don't put it in, on or around your jumps, terrible idea

Mod
Posted: Aug 12, 2017 at 10:44 Quote
You rake it off when done, its simply to form a barrier between the surface and the shovel. Been doing it for years. I agree it's not ideal but as a solution to a problem, it works. Usually in that situation I would go for the letting it dry for a few days tactic, but when time is a factor, it's a solution.

Posted: Aug 12, 2017 at 18:52 Quote
almostwise wrote:
You rake it off when done, its simply to form a barrier between the surface and the shovel. Been doing it for years. I agree it's not ideal but as a solution to a problem, it works. Usually in that situation I would go for the letting it dry for a few days tactic, but when time is a factor, it's a solution.

That's pretty much what the tarp shovel does, just there's less clean up after a tarp shovel. Gives you a barrier between the steel and clay to prevent sticking. Both would work just where we build there's no leaves lol make sure to chip up the ground you're slapping dirt onto, that could be an issue as well, when the new dirt dries it shrinks slightly and gives you massive cracks in the riding surface.

Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 2:06 Quote
almostwise wrote:
Seems crazy to me, but if it works it works I guess! It depends hugely on what type of dirt you've got, I find clay has to be really saturated but I like sandier stuff to be as dry as possible and just use splashes of water to keep it together. Side note, personally used a cooking spray on the shovel instead of WD40, does the same job, you may have to re apply it more often, but you feel like you're polluting the environment less.

Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 5:02 Quote
So i had been tipped off by the old couple who live next to me of some jumps that they walk past all the time in the local area..

so i went to have a look and found a set of very mossy old jumps with an amazing flow line completely abondend... well the local kids have lit fires around there but no one has ridden them in ages...

old trails made new
  old trails made new

old trails made new
  old trails made new

old trails made new
  old trails made new

old trails made new
  old trails made new

having not ridden dirt jumps in years i got all excited at finding these and set to work renewing them..

some photos so far of how much i have done.

old trails made new
  old trails made new

old trails made new
  old trails made new

old trails made new
  old trails made new

old trails made new
  old trails made new

old trails made new
  old trails made new

old trails made new
  old trails made new

Mod
Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 6:26 Quote
hgardner wrote:
almostwise wrote:
Seems crazy to me, but if it works it works I guess! It depends hugely on what type of dirt you've got, I find clay has to be really saturated but I like sandier stuff to be as dry as possible and just use splashes of water to keep it together. Side note, personally used a cooking spray on the shovel instead of WD40, does the same job, you may have to re apply it more often, but you feel like you're polluting the environment less.
Heavy clay here...in the wet it makes shovels stick and tyres slip but in the dry it's like concrete.

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 6:28 Quote
I am now using a tarp bag wrapped around a shovel. the leaf idea sounds cool and would be useful if the trail was in a wood but my jumps are in a field.

Mod
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 11:01 Quote
Ah, then you'd best get planting some trees! Razz

Mod
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 11:04 Quote
timwestwood wrote:
So i had been tipped off by the old couple who live next to me of some jumps that they walk past all the time in the local area..

so i went to have a look and found a set of very mossy old jumps with an amazing flow line completely abondend... well the local kids have lit fires around there but no one has ridden them in ages...

having not ridden dirt jumps in years i got all excited at finding these and set to work renewing them..

SNIP

Nice work dude! Always good to see old trails revamped. Salute

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 3:02 Quote
jackoconnor wrote:
I am now using a tarp bag wrapped around a shovel. the leaf idea sounds cool and would be useful if the trail was in a wood but my jumps are in a field.

My jumps are in Australia, we have no leaves bigger than my finger lol tarp shovels are the go

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 8:55 Quote
[Quote="timwestwood"]So i had been tipped off by the old couple who live next to me of some jumps that they walk past all the time in the local area..

having not ridden dirt jumps in years i got all excited at finding these and set to work renewing them.. I have n

I have never met an old person that would do that for me.Frown Frown

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 9:58 Quote
Awesome work!!!! I love old abandoned trails like these. You're probably stoking out so many local kids, too. So good.
timwestwood wrote:

old trails made new
  old trails made new

old trails made new
  old trails made new

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 6:25 Quote
I want to make 2 rollers for pumping only how far apart should the tops of the rollers be/

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 7:01 Quote
jackoconnor wrote:
I want to make 2 rollers for pumping only how far apart should the tops of the rollers be/

Depends a little on what speed you come into them with and what type of bike that is supposed to be ridden. About 2-3 bike lengths is a good starting point. The higher the top is you need to make the transitions longer, making them to steep will often with speed make them feel like speed bumps. To make rollers flow well you need them further apart than you probably expect.

Sound advice is to build the first roller then experiment with the distance to the next before you continue with the trail/line etc. Trying features as you go is a good time saver since you usually under dimension stuff and then run out of space when you rebuild stuff because it dosent flow well.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.033406
Mobile Version of Website