Trails in progress, show us your building skill.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Trails in progress, show us your building skill.
Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 14:20 Quote
damn looks good, and the under growth from the old photos till now is insane. How many years?

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 22:44 Quote
I love so much that this thread is getting progress again. This was always the coolest thread on pinkbike.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 1:33 Quote
That is some mighty fine work there Gary, that hipped step down thing is right up my street man, love angled take offs!

And yes VTtwintips, this thread is the coolest on pinkbike, most threads are just people giving you shit advice or bragging about some thing, this thread is where the people go that really keep the MTB world turning, the builders!

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 4:46 Quote
Gary damn that is a fresh looking line with a view too. Photo with the homie in gap shows it's not only a looker though, decent gap too.

Couldn't be more stoked this forum is picking up, building is almost as sick as riding and other people make the wheels turn on what to build next, which means more stuff to ride!

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 6:41 Quote
Before:

After:

Stoked on moving dirt! This thread is awesome

Posted: Apr 15, 2020 at 18:46 Quote
buildstuf wrote:
*snip*

Here is about 2-3 days work. Sweet valley gap. So happy with how this is turning out. Being laid off isn't all so bad!

The logs were stacked and the last log underneath the lip was spiked to the two upright logs which were dug 2 ft into the ground. The lip took maybe 30-40 wheelbarrows of dirt but the landing only took me and two others ~2 hours to dig in. Can't wait to test this. Works out to be about 30ish ft (depending on how fast you're going).

*snip*

Here's a roller section just before the gap which consists of two long offset rollers which the tops are angled differently (which can be doubled at a stretch) and then into a small angled take off with a real nice natural landing. The trail almost looks machined as we accidentally built it about 6ft wide, and it rides awesome.

I hope you guys are enjoying the trails. Very very stoked on this build. Smile

Dude those look rad!

Also mighty jealous of your view! Canada f*ckin rules!

Posted: Apr 16, 2020 at 1:57 Quote
JaseZ wrote:
buildstuf wrote:
*snip*

Here is about 2-3 days work. Sweet valley gap. So happy with how this is turning out. Being laid off isn't all so bad!

The logs were stacked and the last log underneath the lip was spiked to the two upright logs which were dug 2 ft into the ground. The lip took maybe 30-40 wheelbarrows of dirt but the landing only took me and two others ~2 hours to dig in. Can't wait to test this. Works out to be about 30ish ft (depending on how fast you're going).

*snip*

Here's a roller section just before the gap which consists of two long offset rollers which the tops are angled differently (which can be doubled at a stretch) and then into a small angled take off with a real nice natural landing. The trail almost looks machined as we accidentally built it about 6ft wide, and it rides awesome.

I hope you guys are enjoying the trails. Very very stoked on this build. Smile

Dude those look rad!

Also mighty jealous of your view! Canada f*ckin rules!

Super loamy dirt too, looks lovely!

Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 16:19 Quote
Decked the new lip today and put chicken wire down under shot of decking
Decked the new lip today and put chicken wire down
Decked the new lip today and put chicken wire down pretty mellow transition should be chill
Made jump one log higher should be sick
New lip bout a foot taller now
New wooden booter at the end of salty 10 down 28 out all wood milled with m261
New booter at the end of salty 10 down 28 out all wood milled with ms261 view from run in
some work i have been putting in on a trail of mine, still got a handful things to do. but majority of the hard work is done.

Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 18:13 Quote
How would you all go about making a 20-30 foot whale tail? I have loads of lumber, concrete and tools, just curious on how one would make a smooth transition by bending or cutting wood.

Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 18:55 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
How would you all go about making a 20-30 foot whale tail? I have loads of lumber, concrete and tools, just curious on how one would make a smooth transition by bending or cutting wood.

use plywood and frame it with 2x4

Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 19:27 Quote
mattboltz wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:

Ok, thanks. I had several different ideas, and that was one. It’s about 7 feet off the ground at its lowest point, with a 4 foot dip

Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 20:15 Quote
Cut your arc out of a piece of plywood (or two if needed). Transfer that to a vertical stack of two by sixes (or bigger), then use a chainsaw or jigsaw to cut the arc out of the stack. Frame the inside of the stack with vertical two by fours, and put the whole thing on a well supported sill, with the post rising to the top of the stack. Heres a whale tail type feature I just built out in P'ville (you can't really see the launch), and you can see what I am talking about in the picture of the roller under construction...
roller under construction
half whale tail

thunder-nuggets wrote:
mattboltz wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:

Ok, thanks. I had several different ideas, and that was one. It’s about 7 feet off the ground at its lowest point, with a 4 foot dip

Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 20:26 Quote
And here's a little roller coaster under construction!

roller coaster

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015148
Mobile Version of Website