close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Trails in progress, show us your building skill.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Trails in progress, show us your building skill.
Posted: Nov 10, 2021 at 13:24 Quote
mattboltz wrote:
here's a top to bottom of my new line i've been working on the past year or so

Wow. Incredible trail. Little of everything. Cant beat that pnw dirt!

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 0:05 Quote
Hi everyone,

Has anyone got some tips for berm builds on steep slopes?

Cheers!

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 0:53 Quote
Mostly dig the berms into the hill rather than stack the berm ontop of it, will stop it from getting blown down the hill so much, also think about drainage, berms against hills collect water like bath tubs.

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 2:20 Quote
Treat it sort of like a curved bench cut, cut down the inside and stack the outside, personally I think raised berms feel a lot better to ride, and raised sections aren't as likely to get saturated and turn to slop where you have water running just under the topsoil, which will almost always happen on a hill. But not all soil type lets you get away with it. While you are building it plan your drain and what we do down at our spot is put a pipe from the pit that will form on the inside of the berm through the berm and out the other side, it'll prevent washouts before and after the berm. if you don't want to use pipes use rocks to make a little drain with a bit of tarp or builders film to help stop sediment blocking it. The other advantage of this is if you need to water the riding surface you can make a water trap to have a small (or large if you dig it right out) water source.

For example this has stood now for 7 years without a tarp and no maintenance (the lines being changed and its a massive job and other things took priority) and you could still ride it as is, and the rock drain is off to the right and is still working. Photo doesn't show it but thats on a really steep hill and the back side is huge. anything thats big, I would build a step, kind of like a pyramid, for strength.

berm

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 4:22 Quote
South5southy wrote:
Hi everyone,

Cheers!
AS the two lads said above me berms built into a hill catch so much water- For my berm which really isnt on too much of a hill i just put a pipe underneath.

Its rough but works really well and drains the whole S berm

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 7:28 Quote
Make sure to rough up the surface where youll be stacking dirt on steep terrain and clean it thoroughly of any organics. Some dirt likes to slide away depending on how much rain you get and what kind of dirt youre working with.

As far as drainage goes i like to dig the backslope of the second half of the berm wider than the first half so as to have more room for water to run out the end so as to not damage the riding tread of the berm over time.

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 12:34 Quote
South5southy wrote:
Hi everyone,

Cheers!
Avoid building a 180 degree berm. It's hard to train your brain to see anything other than switchbacks on a steep slope but the more you can break up the switchbacks into smaller berms with less turn angle the smoother your trail will feel. (two 90 turns instead of a 180, three 45 turns, ect) Switchbacks are always tight feeing and usually need a pipe to drain unless you move a shit ton of dirt to change the grade. Try to make a quick uphill before the turn to eat a little speed, make the end of the berm point downhill, then after a couple bike lengths make another slight berm to finish the turn. Before actually shaping berms, fill the areas with dirt so the berms aren't in the low spots. Take the dirt from between the corners so that the water drains out instead of filling the berms. Give yourself way more space than you think you need. Dig way more dirt than you think you need.

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 3:48 Quote
Anyone here have experience drying tracks with a roofing or asphalting torch? Do they actually do a decent job drying out flat bottoms of jumps? good enough that its worth spending $2-300? Normally we drag a metal drum over and have a fire in that but its so wet lately even finding dry wood is a struggle.

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 4:12 Quote
I have experience using them roofing.

They dry water very fast yes, just aim and pull the trigger and watch it evaporate.

Edit: they are good for standing water- not sure how well they dry up wet dirt/mud

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 12:22 Quote
Steep handcut turns into a right hip

Some steep black handcut, blue handcut this fall, and had a first go at a skid steer built jumpline recently

St Joeseph, MS

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 21:35 Quote
Nice dude! That's really pretty! Serious flow.

Posted: Dec 24, 2021 at 20:25 Quote
mattboltz wrote:
here's a top to bottom of my new line i've been working on the past year or so

Good lord thats so sick, proper build, would kill to ride!

Posted: Dec 25, 2021 at 9:40 Quote
Heres a trail i finished building and filmed on couple days before i moved across the country Madder perfect timing

https://youtu.be/1ndRyRsqzrU

Some of my favorite builds on trail

Favorite jump
Big last hit definitely one of the biggest jumps i have built hit
Build of the step up one of my all time favorite jumps
Build of the step up one of my all time favorite jumps me for scale

Posted: Dec 25, 2021 at 12:00 Quote
Sick builds and riding and a solid edit also. Good stuff.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016911
Mobile Version of Website