The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Aug 14, 2016 at 22:45 Quote
StanMarsh wrote:
This is good news imo. It's a friendly takeover so WB management will be kept in place, its not like Vail is coming in with a new plan for the resort and replacing management/staff. Vail says they're committed to the planned expansion to a 4 season resort(and bike park expansion!) and Whistler management says this will give the financial security to make it happen. (Vail is 5x bigger company than WB)

Not sure why the hate on Vail tho? maybe they will f it up haha

Cause they have a pretty bad track record of keeping staff happy and therefore the guest experience will suffer. various crews that keep the resort tip top will most likely leave and underpaid staff and under qualified staff will take their place. Vail also is known for not keeping their word and never investing in their own properties, only going and buying new properties.

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2016 at 9:27 Quote
base 2 parking is open/free during Crankworx right?

Posted: Aug 15, 2016 at 10:05 Quote
gramboh wrote:
base 2 parking is open/free during Crankworx right?

No. Only first 2 days and last 4. Gondi wasn't running till almost noon Saturday. Parking is a clown show. Well, I guess it's always open there just isn't transportation via the Gondi.

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2016 at 12:09 Quote
Just wanted to mention I had a great time this past Sunday. Went with some friend who were going to shoot the EWS with a media pass, and myself and another friend just rode the bike park on various demo bikes. We would take a break mid run and stop near the EWS race course in the morning to watch some riders on stage 1, and saw some of the top guys which was cool.

My one complaint:
Later in the day we were done riding but wanted to spectate for Stage 5, the big finale. We took the gondola up on foot but using our bike passes. Our plan was to get off mid station and walk over to a more exciting piece of trail than the green runs the stage was finishing on before the GLC drop. They wouldn't let us off the gondola and we were forced back to the base to spectate from the village. I don't understand why there was not a better solution for spectators. There is always so much fanfare about some of the classic races and how the raucous local population can really push the riders that extra 10%. Think Ft. Bill DH or Callaghan winning in Ireland the past two years. There was no opportunity for the spectators to actually spectate and cheer on the riders from anywhere on the racecourse which seemed kind of ridiculous.

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2016 at 12:57 Quote
xTwoSnakesx wrote:
Just wanted to mention I had a great time this past Sunday. Went with some friend who were going to shoot the EWS with a media pass, and myself and another friend just rode the bike park on various demo bikes. We would take a break mid run and stop near the EWS race course in the morning to watch some riders on stage 1, and saw some of the top guys which was cool.

My one complaint:
Later in the day we were done riding but wanted to spectate for Stage 5, the big finale. We took the gondola up on foot but using our bike passes. Our plan was to get off mid station and walk over to a more exciting piece of trail than the green runs the stage was finishing on before the GLC drop. They wouldn't let us off the gondola and we were forced back to the base to spectate from the village. I don't understand why there was not a better solution for spectators. There is always so much fanfare about some of the classic races and how the raucous local population can really push the riders that extra 10%. Think Ft. Bill DH or Callaghan winning in Ireland the past two years. There was no opportunity for the spectators to actually spectate and cheer on the riders from anywhere on the racecourse which seemed kind of ridiculous.

Yeah, the bike park is pretty crap for spectating. They don't like you hiking up or down trails so you're not left with many options. In some cases, due to how close a lot of the trails are, you can stop on the trail and walk over to the race course, but it's less than ideal and not always possible.

A better solution is needed, but because the trails are so close I can see why they don't want people walking on live trails, its tricky.

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2016 at 14:42 Quote
Thanks re: Base 2 - I want to do a Blackcomb trail ride Thursday morning before going to ride park and watch whip-offs, so I will park there.

For spectating the Canadian Open, what's the best way on foot since gondi isn't an option? Thinking of walking up Singing Pass to olympic station and then just walking down the course as the race progresses. Don't really want to bring my bike up that day (planning on having a few beers...)

Posted: Aug 15, 2016 at 15:20 Quote
You definitely can walk up to the Crabapple Hits to watch the Whip-offs. I have done so the last 2 years. Anyone who has been up so far during Crankworx...how are the lift lines?

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2016 at 17:57 Quote
I think the best way to spectate in the bike park is to ride down and stash your bike in a bush. It seems that's how most people do it whenever I've watched the whip off, Heckle Rock, or A-Line race from the lower two pack.

That being said, I came across this official WB page outlining spectator arrangements:

http://www.crankworx.com/whistler/spectators/

Looks like they'll be selling $10 spectator tickets for people to take the gondola up to midstation.

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2016 at 21:22 Quote
"Tuesday August 16th 10:00pm – 5:00pm Garbanzo Dh Race Closures - Start top of Garbanzo - Original Sin (all sections) - Upper Freight Train (Garbo unload to Orange Peel) - Blue Velvet from exit of Treefort down - White Snake and Filthy Ape will also be closed - In Deep (Captain Safety, Fabcrobat, Little Alder) - At the containers go into No Joke (Freight Train, Side Track, Mackenzie River and No Duff from this location would be closed) – all public traffic goes down via Express Way - Duffman followed by Golden Triangle (Golden Triangle closed) - Lower Dirt Merchant (reroute into Rutabega, merge with EZDI)*** - World Cup Single Track - Ho Chi Min, crossing the road at 0.7 into Longhorn - Lower Canadian Open from top of Boneyard - Monkey Hands and finishing area"

Aaaand this is why I'll be in Squamish tomorrow. lol

Posted: Aug 16, 2016 at 6:52 Quote
The Canadian Open DH finals are on Saturday.

This is my first time in Whistler and Saturday is the first time I'll actually be able to ride.

Is it worth actually trying to ride the bikepark on this day or should I just sit back and watch the races (too busy)?

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2016 at 7:17 Quote
I'd skip riding Saturday and Sunday and just spectate the DH and slope style. Crowds will be mental. Starting Monday the lines will be next to nothing.

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2016 at 14:41 Quote
I was there this past sunday for the EWS. I rode the bike park most of the day. There were some longer lines between 11 and 12:30, maybe 15 minutes. After lunch it was under 5 minutes and the most annoying thing was navigating the carousel. If you want no lines just ride Garbanzo in the morning until the lines die down in the afternoon.

The more people watching the events the fewer people there are actually riding the bike park. Busy in the village doesn't necessarily mean busy in the bike park.

Posted: Aug 16, 2016 at 15:03 Quote
xTwoSnakesx wrote:
I was there this past sunday for the EWS. I rode the bike park most of the day. There were some longer lines between 11 and 12:30, maybe 15 minutes. After lunch it was under 5 minutes and the most annoying thing was navigating the carousel. If you want no lines just ride Garbanzo in the morning until the lines die down in the afternoon.

The more people watching the events the fewer people there are actually riding the bike park. Busy in the village doesn't necessarily mean busy in the bike park.

Ditto for sat, lots of traffic very few riders, garbo laps were many.

Posted: Aug 16, 2016 at 15:10 Quote
Sweet, cheers for the info. Don't think I could stay sat down for the whole weekend so will try riding

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2016 at 15:57 Quote
xTwoSnakesx wrote:

I find almost every time I go the lines are busy until 12. That seems to be when people are just starting their day and doing their first run. Everyone always assumes the trails will be crowded. They're never busy during crankworx.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018463
Mobile Version of Website