The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: May 11, 2017 at 16:42 Quote
I'm only going to be able to Whistler once this year and it will either be just before or just after Crankworxs. Any preference as to either? I remember in years past the trails are a little beat after but some tended to be closed before for maintenence.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2017 at 17:01 Quote
thejake wrote:
I'm only going to be able to Whistler once this year and it will either be just before or just after Crankworxs. Any preference as to either? I remember in years past the trails are a little beat after but some tended to be closed before for maintenence.
usually lots of trails closed off around crankworkx for practices and races etc. I would personally go after crankworx, almost all trails will be open and they actually got Aline patched up the week right after crankworx last year so that was a super treat.

Posted: May 13, 2017 at 5:33 Quote
Hi Whistler!

I'm hoping to come out and join you for the summer season next year and I'm thinking about upgrading my bike for the occasion. I want to ride the bike park and the enduro trails in the surrounding area (want to spend some time in Vancouver, Squamish etc.)

My question is what would be the best all round bike for a summer in BC, something that can pedal acceptably but take the abuse of the bike park. Im assuming something in the 160-170mm enduro bike range but does anyone have any specific recommendations?

If anyone has any other general advice about a summer season out in Whistler it would be greatly appreciated by the naive British bloke!

Cheers

Posted: May 13, 2017 at 9:15 Quote
Massini64 wrote:
Hi Whistler!

I'm hoping to come out and join you for the summer season next year and I'm thinking about upgrading my bike for the occasion. I want to ride the bike park and the enduro trails in the surrounding area (want to spend some time in Vancouver, Squamish etc.)

My question is what would be the best all round bike for a summer in BC, something that can pedal acceptably but take the abuse of the bike park. Im assuming something in the 160-170mm enduro bike range but does anyone have any specific recommendations?

If anyone has any other general advice about a summer season out in Whistler it would be greatly appreciated by the naive British bloke!

Cheers

If you plan on riding the park more 2-3 weeks get a dh bike. 160 travel bikes are fine in the park but they will take a hammering and will need a lot more maintenance.

But if you just want to do a bit of everything 160 is good.

O+
Posted: May 13, 2017 at 9:56 Quote
Honestly I donno about that, a modern 160 bike is more than capable on every green/blue trail in the park, flow or tech. 160 (depending on geo) is super fun on Aline, dirt merch and all the flow black trails as well. If you're considering getting a DH bike think of the riding you want to do. Will you spend most days up in Garbo pinning thru In Deep ect, trying to set the fastest times on the tech trails? will you be doing races throughout the season? Then yes get a DH. If not an enduro bike with a decent wheelset is the way to go so you can explore all the awesome valley trails as well as the park. Just look how gnarly the EWS tracks are these days, modern 160 bikes are super capable! With a DH bike you will miss out on some world class trails in the valley + squamish and pemby.

O+
Posted: May 13, 2017 at 10:31 Quote
VolatileMike wrote:
Massini64 wrote:
Hi Whistler!

Cheers

If you plan on riding the park more 2-3 weeks get a dh bike. 160 travel bikes are fine in the park but they will take a hammering and will need a lot more maintenance.

But if you just want to do a bit of everything 160 is good.

Agreed. If only riding a few days in park or if you're really smooth then an enduro is ok. Have been seeing lots of specialized enduro, giant reign and yt Capra up there last summer though. Just don't show up with a 29!

Posted: May 13, 2017 at 11:18 Quote
StanMarsh wrote:
Honestly I donno about that, a modern 160 bike is more than capable on every green/blue trail in the park, flow or tech. 160 (depending on geo) is super fun on Aline, dirt merch and all the flow black trails as well. If you're considering getting a DH bike think of the riding you want to do. Will you spend most days up in Garbo pinning thru In Deep ect, trying to set the fastest times on the tech trails? will you be doing races throughout the season? Then yes get a DH. If not an enduro bike with a decent wheelset is the way to go so you can explore all the awesome valley trails as well as the park. Just look how gnarly the EWS tracks are these days, modern 160 bikes are super capable! With a DH bike you will miss out on some world class trails in the valley + squamish and pemby.

Yeah Im not saying they should buy a dh bike, just that its a lot more maintenance to keep on top of if you ride a 160 bike all through the bike park season.

That being said il be likely riding my spitfire on opening day, I cant face getting the on glory right now, it feels sooo huge awkward when i just rode it on the street the other day. Blank Stare

O+
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 11:25 Quote
Let's hear some park opening day reports. What's running well? Any mud bogs to avoid? How's the new A-line finish? Stoked to get up there this weekend.

Posted: May 19, 2017 at 13:53 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Let's hear some park opening day reports. What's running well? Any mud bogs to avoid? How's the new A-line finish? Stoked to get up there this weekend.

Yes this!!, im riding Sat, need to know!

O+
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 16:25 Quote
New finish to A-Line is sick! WAY better than the GLC drop. Now its a floaty slight-left hip into a smallish step down then a big jump to finish with a nice steep lip and lots of air time. The new section is a bit soft but no issues clearing the jumps. The rest of A-Line is unchanged and running really good.
B-Line was pretty greasy. Few puddles on FTB but that was running good as well. Park opens at 9:30 all weekend and open till 8pm on Sat and Mon. Lines weren't bad this morning but got a bit busy by noon, still not too bad tho, maybe 15-20 mins at most. Great day!

Posted: May 19, 2017 at 18:11 Quote
StanMarsh wrote:
New finish to A-Line is sick! WAY better than the GLC drop. Now its a floaty slight-left hip into a smallish step down then a big jump to finish with a nice steep lip and lots of air time. The new section is a bit soft but no issues clearing the jumps. The rest of A-Line is unchanged and running really good.
B-Line was pretty greasy. Few puddles on FTB but that was running good as well. Park opens at 9:30 all weekend and open till 8pm on Sat and Mon. Lines weren't bad this morning but got a bit busy by noon, still not too bad tho, maybe 15-20 mins at most. Great day!

Good to know thx!!

O+
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 20:36 Quote
Park is awesome!!!!!

O+
Posted: May 20, 2017 at 0:30 Quote
Sick. Can't wait. Thanks guys.

O+
Posted: May 21, 2017 at 3:54 Quote
I asked a while back but I'll ask again, is anyone planning on doing the peakleaders/Zep training camp this season, I'm booked on and just wanted to see if anyone else on here was?

Posted: May 21, 2017 at 11:55 Quote
I saw a couple of videos with the new A Line exit. Does that mean the GLC Drops are officially gone? If so feels like an iconic piece of Whistler history has gone. I definitely got applause once when I entertained the patio with a yard sale...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023647
Mobile Version of Website