The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 15:05 Quote
How's Garbo looking for the 17th? Judging by the Roundhouse webcam it looks like there is still a ton of snow down past the reservoir so I would guess that Freight Train, Una Moss etc. are still buried.

Prime conditions this weekend and crowds were not bad at all. Gondola access helped for sure.

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 18:57 Quote
gramboh wrote:
How's Garbo looking for the 17th? Judging by the Roundhouse webcam it looks like there is still a ton of snow down past the reservoir so I would guess that Freight Train, Una Moss etc. are still buried.

Prime conditions this weekend and crowds were not bad at all. Gondola access helped for sure.

Not holding my breath for a normal Garbo opening, more like late june.

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 19:33 Quote
We're doing our best up there. Snowcat work has been going on for a little over a week and an excavator is en route. It's deep but we're pretty determined.

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 21:25 Quote
nickel wrote:
We're doing our best up there. Snowcat work has been going on for a little over a week and an excavator is en route. It's deep but we're pretty determined.

Props, you guys rock!, but if it meant waiting a few week longer, its all good,for Garbo i will wait.

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 22:00 Quote
nickel wrote:
new Aline last jump is great! Thank for the awesome work. And thanks for smoothing out monkey hands!

Posted: Jun 6, 2017 at 21:49 Quote
Is there a seperate line for single riders? I want to go up but wouls be by myself so will it be shorter going alone? Not sure how it works going solo up there

Posted: Jun 6, 2017 at 21:59 Quote
Yes there's a singles line that's usually shorter

Posted: Jun 6, 2017 at 22:00 Quote
Brian1014 wrote:
Is there a seperate line for single riders? I want to go up but wouls be by myself so will it be shorter going alone? Not sure how it works going solo up there

Yes there's a "singles " line, its usually quick, and no biggie riding alone, i do it all the time.

Posted: Jun 7, 2017 at 0:26 Quote
quick question about the rental situation: will be in whistler for 6 weeks through july and august. will bring my downhill bike but also looking to ride some nice singletrails in whistler, squamish and so on.

can I just walk up to one of the various bike rental places and rent a nice enduro bike (preferably something on the level of the Devinci Spartan, Norco Range, Santa Cruz Nomad) for 10+ days, or are they usually all booked out during the summer?

reason I'm asking is because I don't know if I should go ahead and pre-book the bike, which would unfortunately hinder my flexibility a lot, as I don't know yet when exactly I'd be looking to do some enduro riding, and I'm also looking to travel around a bit without a bike...

Posted: Jun 7, 2017 at 0:41 Quote
mobweb wrote:
quick question about the rental situation: will be in whistler for 6 weeks through july and august. will bring my downhill bike but also looking to ride some nice singletrails in whistler, squamish and so on.

can I just walk up to one of the various bike rental places and rent a nice enduro bike (preferably something on the level of the Devinci Spartan, Norco Range, Santa Cruz Nomad) for 10+ days, or are they usually all booked out during the summer?

reason I'm asking is because I don't know if I should go ahead and pre-book the bike, which would unfortunately hinder my flexibility a lot, as I don't know yet when exactly I'd be looking to do some enduro riding, and I'm also looking to travel around a bit without a bike...
I would probably just walk in when you know when you want it for an enduro bike. And there's lots of shops around that rent them. Coastal Culture at creekside has some nice Santa Cruz Bronson and nomad in their fleet. Although 10 straight days might be tough to find, you might have to break it up between different shops or bikes.

Posted: Jun 7, 2017 at 0:50 Quote
Brian1014 wrote:
I ride the single lineup all the time. Just don't get it mixed up with the school lineup which is on the opposite side.

Posted: Jun 7, 2017 at 17:03 Quote
mobweb wrote:

I assume the 10+ days of trail riding outside the park will be spread out over your six weeks? If so, you will be fine walking up to shops in the village and you will have a good selection of bikes to try. If you are riding in Squamish, Corsa Cycles rents Rocky Mountain Slayers and should have Altitudes by now, but you are only allowed to ride their bikes in Squamish. I had first ride on a brand new Slayer a few weeks ago, it was awesome.

If you actually want a bike for 10 days straight then you will have to reserve something in advance.

If I were you, I would do trail riding on the weekends when the bike park can get busier (especially long weekend holidays, July 3/4, August 7 and Crankworx). Depending when the snow melts, you'll want to check out the new alpine trail Lord of the Squirrels as well as the stuff you access off Peak chair on Whistler.

Posted: Jun 8, 2017 at 15:22 Quote
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure if I'm going to spread the days out as it seems WAY cheaper to rent a bike for a few consecutive days rather than single days. Frown

Posted: Jun 9, 2017 at 12:44 Quote
How has the snow melting been? Planning on going next weekend. Will Garbo be open then? Heard there was still lots of snow left.

Posted: Jun 9, 2017 at 17:32 Quote
Its melting pretty good, odds are some stuff (not all) will be open and it will be greasy goodness.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014219
Mobile Version of Website