The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: May 14, 2018 at 20:54 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
goytay wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

What do you have planned? I'm going to silverstar for a week. By far my favourite park in BC.

Sunpeaks Aug 2/3, then on to silverstar Aug 4/5.

Lol no way! I'll be at silverstar that weekend too.

Well, see you in the lift line.

Posted: May 14, 2018 at 21:04 Quote
goytay wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
goytay wrote:

Sunpeaks Aug 2/3, then on to silverstar Aug 4/5.

What lift line? (That's why I love it there)

Posted: May 14, 2018 at 21:37 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
goytay wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

What lift line? (That's why I love it there)

Yes too true!!

Posted: May 15, 2018 at 11:00 Quote
Bragelonne wrote:
kingtut87 wrote:
Pretty much the only people who got f*cked by vail were the lower mainland occasional skiers who skied less than 5 days a season. Pretty much everyone else, especially season pass holders, has saved a little money. It's also been less busy over the winter, which for season pass holders is also a win.

Another KingTwat talking out of his ass, starting with the fact that not only it wasn"t less busy this winter, you f*cking retard, they've beaten another visitor RECORD this season. Here, facts: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-09/is-vail-resorts-killing-whistler-spirit.

And for those of you who actually wonder why some Whistler locals are all "worked up" towards Vail Corp taking over, well, this guy said it way better than I could ever do (warning: this text requires more than the typical 2 minutes attention-spam most of you have):

"Everything is relative and yes, we already knew that Whistler was a luxury for the average Joe from the Lower Mainland. What Vail has done is this: they've signaled that their business plan is to target more of wealthy families, vacationing executives and bucket list pensioners, most of them hailing from the US, UK, and Australia, and rely even less on revenue from Whistler locals, Vancouverites/BCers, and weekend getaway PNW folks. Vail has dropped the prices of passes significantly ($800US for unlimited, unrestricted skiing at Whistler and like 20 other resorts in Canada, the US, and Europe? That's awesome...if you have the money and time to visit), while increasing the prices of day tickets substantially ($156 CAD for the day! It only felt like yesterday that Intrawest/Fortress bumping them to 120 was exorbitant). They've gotten rid of the 1/3 day Edge card, substantially raised the price of the student season pass, and completely gutted certain locals programs like the Sea to Sky parent/child pass. The message is essentially this: rich foreign families, Americans flying in by private jet, and the general elite are welcome to ski; everyone else, don't even bother trying unless you're bringing enough money to afford a week on the slopes and at the lodge.

We're realists: yes, Whistler hasn't been that old eclectic ski town since the mid-1990s when Intrawest took over and the village really expanded. But it was a hell of a lot of better than what it is now (and what direction its headed in). I don't mind the fact that my barstool neighbour at GLC for apres is yet another white-collar finance guy from Colorado on his third wife (the most egregious thing about this whole debacle is that with all that money they still drink f*cking Coors). I'm not really bothered by the fact that I'm sharing a gondola with a loud family of five from Manchester. This is a great mountain - and a great town - and it's wonderful to share it with the world. But those kinds of visitors to Whistler seem totally unfazed by the fact they must have dropped over $20K for their Christmas vacation and that the only people they're sharing lifts with anymore are the ones who are doing the same. On one hand, I think an argument about "spirit" and "authenticity" is a zero-sum game of moving goal-posts; on the other hand, how can a place retain its spirit if none of the people you interact with are even from there?

This year, more than ever before, have I noticed that proportion of people skiing is so completely tilted towards the rich foreigners on a week long vacation. I had more than one ski day this year where I did not talk to a single Canadian. Not one. Is that a bad thing? Not in principle. But for 25 years, I've skied at Whistler because it felt like home, and I'm getting tired of being the only one on the mountain that feels that way."

To be completely honest, it seems like you all haven't had a pulse on the ski industry for like 15 years. This is happening at every ski resort and town in in North America that has anything worth skiing. Sad but true. Skiing is no longer a lower or middle class sport. Eventually it will reverse, as the numbers needed to maintain these revenues will shrink with constant price increases. Wejust have to wait.

Posted: May 15, 2018 at 15:20 Quote
Knife-in-the-dark wrote:
To be completely honest, it seems like you all haven't had a pulse on the ski industry for like 15 years. This is happening at every ski resort and town in in North America that has anything worth skiing. Sad but true. Skiing is no longer a lower or middle class sport. Eventually it will reverse, as the numbers needed to maintain these revenues will shrink with constant price increases. Wejust have to wait.

I concur. The irritating part is to witness it happening rapidly and exponentially right where you live and ride; which is the case with the Vail takeover. On the other hand - and to close this subject - the shitposting between Whistler's locals is to be taken with a grain of salt. It's a very small village; you get to know locals and weekend warriors pretty fast.

In addition, it's a bit of a shoulder season at the moment and we have time on our hands, and while a wide-array of different type of riders across multiple generation live here, you have few interesting self-entitled middle-age specimens that take part in forums like this one, and who serve as a loo for a good online dump. Taking a good shitpost in these human latrine is an occasional satisfying entertainment. Especially when you have time to spare in your Van.

Let me give you some context on some of these locals; it will outline how any exchanges should not be taken seriously:

Leelau will bitch against millennials but he's whoring Instagram fame and broadcast his whole life online like a 20 years old girl who wants to be an Instagram model (take note Nickel, this IS what constitute Irony).

Clowshoe is quite small and was heavily bullied as a kid, to cope with the lasting trauma he moved to Whistler from Toronto, but that didn't work too well: he engaged in heavy drinking, and as a result of his alcoholism he turned senile by the age of 40 and lost sphincter control. He needs to be reminded to wear a diaper before hitting the park, otherwise he shits himself.

Unfortunately, inline with the fecal thematic, Kingtwat grew up with difficulties grasping reality and facts; as an adult he therefore materializes his opinions out of his digestive system and fart them out loud to the world. His daily intake of tacos makes those opinions rather strong and nauseous.

Then there's Nickel; I won't make jokes because, well, he's... "challenged". I don't make fun of other people's handicap, even online, this is where I draw the line. I'm struggling to explain to him that a recent corporate takeover can bring a lot of bad things on one hand, while on the other hand not changing few successful things that have been there before. it's too complex for him.

To conclude, take the shitposting between locals lightly; An online dump on these guys is just entertainment.

That being said, let's close this chapter and move to what matters at the moment: the great meltdown. It's been near 30 C in the last 4 days with full sunshine and Fitz zone is almost all clear. For those who haven't seen how great it looks for the upcoming weekend, well Fitz is almost all out of snow:

view of Fitz zone from Crystal Hut:

Fitz base (better pic than the webcam):

Posted: May 15, 2018 at 15:37 Quote
pics have doubled-post; erased.

Posted: May 15, 2018 at 17:36 Quote
fgiraffe wrote:
Decreasing the annual pass price and increasing day use is a common theme for both Canada AND the US.
It's banking on people's optimism ('yea, I can get in x days this season, this will be worth it").
It's smart, for the resort.
And it hammers the day use people.

IMO what it does is allow the resorts to get cash up front. It draws in skiers or bikers who are willing to spend the money upfront and pick skiing or biking over other activities. It's smart business for sure.

What I don't quite get is why kill so many of the multi-day offerings. Vail says its because their IT system can't SKU different products. I know the Vail IT system and it's pretty crappy but it's hard to imagine it being quite so bad it can't even SKU up 3-day passes, or single-ride passes or even gift-cards.

Posted: May 15, 2018 at 17:39 Quote
wrote:
Knife-in-the-dark wrote:

This is true of the big mega resorts but I don't think it's happening as quickly or as much in the smaller resorts. For every WB or Chamonix there's a Silver Star or a Riederalp

But yah - that Bloomberg article was poorly researched.

Posted: May 15, 2018 at 19:32 Quote
This place really lacks stoke. Somebody's really dragging the room down...

Trails are coming along really nicely. Dwayne, crab, A-Line with the full treatment. Bunch of tech cleared and g2g. Work's going to start on the merch as soon as were done with a small project in the longhorn area.

Opening's looking pretty damn good, although a little drizzle would really tie the room together. Muly out there despite the patches of white.

P.S. your damn right I've got challenges.

Posted: May 15, 2018 at 20:07 Quote
nickel wrote:

Trails are coming along really nicely. Dwayne, crab, A-Line with the full treatment. Bunch of tech cleared and g2g. Work's going to start on the merch as soon as were done with a small project in the longhorn area.

Opening's looking pretty damn good, although a little drizzle would really tie the room together. Muly out there despite the patches of white.

For whats its worth, you guys in the WBP crew ROCK!! keeping things buff for us "hacks" Beer Beer Cheers!!

Posted: May 15, 2018 at 21:15 Quote
Yo whats up guys. Im making my way over from NZ for 18 nights on the 20th of June, spending the first 9 nights in whistler then a few days each at kamloops, silver star and coast gravity. Would be sick to link up and cut some laps with some locals and follow them into some of the big shit! Am taking a dh bike and also a jump bike, churrrrrr

Posted: May 15, 2018 at 21:20 Quote
nickel wrote:

Now this is why I creep here. Thanks dude looking forward to some BP laps this weekend. Keep the stoke high!

Posted: May 15, 2018 at 21:23 Quote
nickel wrote:

Awesome! I'll be out there the following weekend. Can't wait.

Posted: May 16, 2018 at 8:11 Quote
Spotwx calling for some precip over the weekend Nickel!

Useful link for newbs. I like the GEMS 2 day for accuracy. 10 days is poor

https://spotwx.com. Whistler BC for the location.

Already dry on some of lower valley trails. WORCA and other builders being vsry careful with saw. Cleared some deadfall off GM and Man Suicide/Ricks Roost area. Snowline between Flank and bridge to Howler.

I'll try to post a Hwy 86 pic

Posted: May 16, 2018 at 11:33 Quote
Just picked my pass up (zero line) and they had an updated trail map:

For comparison, last year's/current online map:

Seems like they changed some of the names since the preview day last fall?

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026801
Mobile Version of Website