The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 20:40 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
chinaboy wrote:
Chuvak wrote:
does anyone know what benefits gives previous year season pass? i am 2018 season pass holder, maybe they will make me some discount for 2019 pass
I have never heard of any ever. In fact there is a lot of uncertainty of 2019 pass prices...thinking it will go up significantly with the vail ownership. Waiting to see.

The trend seems to be a $20 increase every season. Considering how well Vail maintained the park last season and they're expanding with new trails, I don't mind the price increase. Plus it's open till 8 pm from opening day.
Very good points, and I would agree. That 8pm is awesome! Stoked, can’t come soon enough!

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 at 8:09 Quote
hi all, my friend and I want to visit Whistler in early 2020 and I wondered what time of year was best?
I don't even know when its open.. i've checked the website but it seems to vary for each trail

we mainly ride downhill and we'd need to hire bikes - I also need to make sure its not only the savage trails that are open because im not very comfortable with massive gaps etc yet

it would be nice if there was stuff to do when we're not riding as well

do you have any suggestions for time of year to visit? (ideally early in the year if its open)

thanks!

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 at 9:00 Quote
https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/explore-the-resort/activities-and-events/whistler-mountain-bike-park/explore-the-park/hours-of-operation.aspx

That has all the dates but basically; fitz zone (lower trails) always opens mid may, garbo+creekside a month or so after that depending on conditions, peak/top of the world another month after that again depending on conditions.
Fitz has the best trails but if you can wait til garbo is open in mid June or so, there's a ton more to ride too. Top of the world is neat but not a must. But in my opinion the best time is September only bad part is shorter days.

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 at 10:12 Quote
Chuvak wrote:
does anyone know what benefits gives previous year season pass? i am 2018 season pass holder, maybe they will make me some discount for 2019 pass

They actually had the 2019 bike park pass perks posted last week but it now redirects to a winter landing page. I believe it was same as previous years, 20% off food/hot beverages at WB properties (GBB, Dustys, Roundhouse etc), 15% off rentals/lessons and some other discounts, possibly on buying day passes for friends.

I think they had bike park passes up by March last year? Curious what Vail will do. They can definitely justify a price increase with the 8pm extended hours and Creekside expansion although holding it to +$20 would certainly be nice for us consumers.

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 at 10:56 Quote
It was Vail running the show last summer and the summer before that too. I wouldn't expect major changes.

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 at 17:47 Quote
They hiked prices this year for skiing/boarding, so expect the same for the bike park. I guess I am in the minority in thinking that W/B focused their trail maintenance on the new trails (especially Creekside) & left the older trails such as Schleyer to rot. I expect DH trails to be rough to a point, but bomb holes still existing in June that were still there last September is a bit too much, IMO.

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 at 23:46 Quote
Ski season passes had the usual small rise in prices, no major hikes.

Can't say I noticed any issues on any trails that weren't there in previous years. The new trails had their own budget for being built/finished.

I'm sure Nickle or someone else on trail crew will be along shortly, but any bomb holes in June were almost certainly new rather than left over.

Posted: Feb 21, 2019 at 10:06 Quote
Nonsmoker wrote:
They hiked prices this year for skiing/boarding, so expect the same for the bike park. I guess I am in the minority in thinking that W/B focused their trail maintenance on the new trails (especially Creekside) & left the older trails such as Schleyer to rot. I expect DH trails to be rough to a point, but bomb holes still existing in June that were still there last September is a bit too much, IMO.

Pretty sure Schleyer was rebuilt at some point last season? I remember the rock garden section after the rock slab and before the drop under Fitz was fully filled in at one point and they rebuilt the exit berm/doubles section. I thought they did an awesome job on maintenance last summer, lots of work on tech trails in addition to the new stuff in Creekside. The sprinkler system on A-line made a noticeable difference. Of course mid July to late August stuff gets destroyed and is hard to fix without rain.

They might bump day passes a bit, but honestly bike park season passes/5-10 day cards are such a bargain for the value you get, especially versus ski pass prices. I also agree the Epic/WB ski season pass is a steal, we used to pay $1500ish for a WB only season a pass a few years ago so it's gotten cheaper. Yes, ski day passes are out of control and no one should be buying those other than sucker tourists, either you do a 5 day EDGE card or you do not bother skiing WB. I'm not a Vail apologist and of course wish WB hadn't been acquired but as a city dweller, the last two ski/bike seasons have been awesome.

Posted: Feb 21, 2019 at 16:46 Quote
Whistler is actually priced pretty reasonable compared to other bike parks. It's only $10 more for a day pass compared to silverstar but you get a much bigger mountain and more terrain. Season passes are significantly more but our season runs from May to October. That's pretty long. I have no issues with our pricing.

Posted: Feb 21, 2019 at 18:17 Quote
We do our annual visit and book airfare and condo 9 months in advance and every year it's unsettling to see the winter prices go up and then anticipate what to expect for summer lifts. Now that we have a park rat grom that wants to do DFX on the mountain everyday it gets scary wondering how much we'll be pulling out of his college fund for this years stay. Oh well, we're committed, I hope the mountain and the village can get the staff they need. Seemed pretty crazy last summer and we were there early season.

Posted: Feb 21, 2019 at 18:53 Quote
dirtpedaler wrote:
We do our annual visit and book airfare and condo 9 months in advance and every year it's unsettling to see the winter prices go up and then anticipate what to expect for summer lifts. Now that we have a park rat grom that wants to do DFX on the mountain everyday it gets scary wondering how much we'll be pulling out of his college fund for this years stay. Oh well, we're committed, I hope the mountain and the village can get the staff they need. Seemed pretty crazy last summer and we were there early season.

But bike school > real school so your priorities are right

Posted: Feb 23, 2019 at 15:43 Quote
when comparing the prices to Austria (Serfaus, Leogang, Schladming) Whistler is pretty "cheap". in those bike parks you pay 60$ for a day pass, open from 9am to 5 pm and maybe 5-7 trails. Whis has 70+ rad trails and has open from 10 am to 8pm. I do not complain at all! We had the 5 day bike pass last year, where it was even cheaper. The trails were maintained really well too.

Posted: Feb 23, 2019 at 16:08 Quote
Demo8AUT wrote:
when comparing the prices to Austria (Serfaus, Leogang, Schladming) Whistler is pretty "cheap". in those bike parks you pay 60$ for a day pass, open from 9am to 5 pm and maybe 5-7 trails. Whis has 70+ rad trails and has open from 10 am to 8pm. I do not complain at all! We had the 5 day bike pass last year, where it was even cheaper. The trails were maintained really well too.
good point. When you put it into perspective like that.

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 20:35 Quote
chinaboy wrote:
Demo8AUT wrote:
good point. When you put it into perspective like that.
I used to ride Portes Du Soleil (Morzine) in 2017 and it was way cheaper that Whistler. 173 euro for 13 days in Morzine (days are being deducted from your pass ONLY if you ride. At least 1 lift costs you 1 day, so these 10 days can be stretched for a month). Whistler X day pass allows you to ride only "from-to" dates. and it expires even if you have made 0 lifts.
BUT!
in whistler you have all the trails on the tips of your fingers (in PDS you have to get to some trails for a hour). All the trails in whistler are perfectly shaped an maintained, almost zero breaking bumps (in PDS i had to take painkillers in the morning before rinding due to swallen fingers and damaged finger joints). water near the lift, free bike wash, free tools, plenty of trails and so on. I am ready to pay higer price for all of that.

whistler, wait fo me 14-31 of July this year Big Grin

Posted: Feb 25, 2019 at 1:46 Quote
Whistler and zero braking bumps in one sentence lol

The trail do amazing work there and it's huge task but there are most definitely worse braking bumps in whis than morzine

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024792
Mobile Version of Website