The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 17:03 Quote
poteran wrote:
Heading to Whistler in August and staying in the village. Want to do some North Shore riding. Can anyone recommend a shuttle service?

Doesn't really exist on the shore... Endless Biking ran their Seymour Sundays series in 2017 where you could pay $40 for a few hours of shuttles and a burger but didn't seem to run last year. You could probably book a private shuttle from them but it will be expensive/guiding rates. https://www.endlessbiking.com/seymour-sundays

You can just hang out at Old Buck parking lot and try to get in on a shuttle with other riders who have room (offer beer/cash of course). No real need to shuttle though, you can easily get in 2 if not 3 laps without much fitness pedaling a trail bike up Seymour. Cypress makes more sense to shuttle with a DH bike, steeper/faster/fall line stuff.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 19:12 Quote
poteran wrote:
Heading to Whistler in August and staying in the village. Want to do some North Shore riding. Can anyone recommend a shuttle service?

Have you been to Whistler before? Every year when I go there I vow that i’m going to do at least a day I’m Squamish and every year I never go because the park is so dam good. Maybe you might want to squeeze in a day on the Shore the day before or after your stay in Whistler.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 19:43 Quote
charmingbob wrote:
poteran wrote:

Have you been to Whistler before? Every year when I go there I vow that i’m going to do at least a day I’m Squamish and every year I never go because the park is so dam good. Maybe you might want to squeeze in a day on the Shore the day before or after your stay in Whistler.
best advice right there. One you’re sucked into the Whistler park vortex you won’t wanna go anywhere else.

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 15:47 Quote
I agree actually... If you like trail riding and are not a pure park rat, you should make an effort to do one day in Squamish. I wouldn't bother with the shore unless you have some nostalgia you really need to satisfy... Squamish is much closer to Whistler, more unique terrain (slabs) and just better IMO.

Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 21:42 Quote
Alright now i see Gramboh just need to start at Old Buck!

Charmingbob i went same month back in 2016,2017 and always say the same! Sounds like Squamish is the better option to maximize time since its closer! maybe day 1 would be sweet before burning myself out at the park.

Idea= Half day Squamish then Lord of the Squirrels to finish off day1, or not enough daylight/time you think?

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 22:19 Quote
poteran wrote:

Charmingbob i went same month back in 2016,2017 and always say the same! Sounds like Squamish is the better option to maximize time since its closer! maybe day 1 would be sweet before burning myself out at the park.

Idea= Half day Squamish then Lord of the Squirrels to finish off day1, or not enough daylight/time you think?

Lord of the squirrels is a pretty big ride for most people, give that a day on its own!

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 0:22 Quote
poteran wrote:

Lord of the squirrels requires a full day. The climb is extremely long and brutal. It's a good 2 hours, maybe 3 if you take breaks.

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 3:05 Quote
Unless you're fitter/better at climbing than average you'll likely not want to do much else after LOTS. The climb is a good length and you'll likely want to stop lots and take in the views. If you throw in the happy hour extension then you're getting a lot of km and vertical in the legs. Give it a day on its own or start early and see how you feel when you're done. It's not a place you want to hurt yourself or not enjoy the descent because you're tired.

Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 6:38 Quote
Can anyone recommend a guide company for a day trip to Squamish?

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 8:01 Quote
antigit wrote:
Can anyone recommend a guide company for a day trip to Squamish?

Dialled in cycling http://dialedincycling.com

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 9:35 Quote
It's possible that if you are fit you could do Lord of the Squirrels and Squamish in the same day assuming you started one ride early in the morning. LOTS can be a 4 hour loop from the westside flank at a reasonable but not insane pace. I think we took 5 hours our first time including breaks on the climb, lake food/beer break at the top and lots of pictures.

Could ride that 6am-11am, big lunch, lake/nap and then head down and ride Squamish late afternoon to dusk... I think your leg muscles will be the limiting factor, and the next day you will be toast if you aren't someone that does a shit ton of riding. If you do that, go to Alice Lake as the climbs are at least shorter.

Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 11:41 Quote
poteran wrote:

The only reason to do Lord of the Squirrels is if you enjoy epic climbs and taking in the scenery. The trail itself is pretty average imho, there are way more interesting trails around whistler valley.

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 15:19 Quote
chinaboy wrote:
charmingbob wrote:
poteran wrote:

best advice right there. One you’re sucked into the Whistler park vortex you won’t wanna go anywhere else.

I'm the opposite, I always say I should spend more time exploring the park and end up spending all my time in Squamish. I like it more than the park, in my opinion. No lineups, no massive throngs of tourists, don't have to pay for parking, etc. And the riding is sooooo good!

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 19:25 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
chinaboy wrote:
charmingbob wrote:

I'm the opposite, I always say I should spend more time exploring the park and end up spending all my time in Squamish. I like it more than the park, in my opinion. No lineups, no massive throngs of tourists, don't have to pay for parking, etc. And the riding is sooooo good!

Yup! I'm just getting a 10(11) day pass so I can spend more time riding squamish. I love it there. If you choose the park over squamish you are missing out. The trails are by far better. Cypress is unbelievable. Probably my favourite. I could ride there everyday and I wouldn't miss whistler.

Posted: Apr 11, 2019 at 17:57 Quote
Thank you all for your very informative replies! Im 100% going to Squamish 2nd to last and maybe even my last day of the trip too. Is Cypress easy to find? Whats the terrain? Looking for Slabs

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016397
Mobile Version of Website