The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
O+
Posted: May 6, 2019 at 9:35 Quote
Anyone know if Lord Of The Squirrels is snow free? If not any idea when it opens?

Posted: May 6, 2019 at 9:36 Quote
neubiker wrote:
sdg1 wrote:
Where do people stay in Whistler to not get their bikes stolen? it seems like everywhere is some condo with shady parking garage-style storage and they don't want your bikes in the room....

Yah not sure about this. I've stayed in whistler atleast 8 times now and always locked them up with hotels. I think the best I've been to was the summit lodge. They had an entire locked room for bikes, when you checked in and have thrm. Your bike thet gave you a receipt..no one but hotel staff was allowed in the room and to get your bike you had to show them your unique receipt id #.

I thinj bike theft in recent years has got much better thought (down like 40 or 50 percent)

Rest of the times I've put them in the locked storage and then double or triple locked my bikes. Still makes me nervous though. I've got a brand new YT coming shortly and have a Whistler trip planned. The thought of leaving it in the locked garage is kind of terrifying me a little.

my gf and I used to stay at Cascade Lodge a lot. They have a locked place in their garage, but it only is palings. Have locked the bike on a rack. but I did not know that theft is so common in hotels. as I got my new Demo a few weeks ago I might consider a different hotel. Ava would be nice, but overpriced, imo.

Posted: May 6, 2019 at 9:41 Quote
kookseverywhere wrote:
Anyone know if Lord Of The Squirrels is snow free? If not any idea when it opens?

No chance. It'll be covered in meters of snow still. The trail didn't fully open until July 13th last year. I'm keeping an eye on updates here for my upcoming whistler trip this July. Not sure if the closure for the bear activity is still in place, but it closed last fall because of this.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2019 at 10:05 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
kookseverywhere wrote:

No chance. It'll be covered in meters of snow still. The trail didn't fully open until July 13th last year. I'm keeping an eye on updates here for my upcoming whistler trip this July. Not sure if the closure for the bear activity is still in place, but it closed last fall because of this.

Thanks, yeah that's what I figured. Saw on trailforks that some lower trails were clear so was curious. Alpine snow is melting quick on the island.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2019 at 14:25 Quote
With spring skiing being on Whistler instead of Blackcomb this year, how insane do you think the lift lines will be on opening weekend?

Any idea which trails might be open the first weekend? Normally Whistler Bike Park is bragging about what is going to be open by now, but it seems like they have been pretty silent this year.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2019 at 14:55 Quote
ertman wrote:
With spring skiing being on Whistler instead of Blackcomb this year, how insane do you think the lift lines will be on opening weekend?

Any idea which trails might be open the first weekend? Normally Whistler Bike Park is bragging about what is going to be open by now, but it seems like they have been pretty silent this year.

I've seen instagram posts of some of the park guys in diggers with what looks like 1-2 feet of snow on EZ Does it, but looks like they are clearing the trails that are in the open and resurfacing upper A-line etc. It's going to be nearly 30C in Whistler this weekend so I'm sure opening will be good to go like it is every year. Good question about line-ups, Fitz is biking only they've already swapped the bike racks on and I'd imagine the gondola will have bike cabins every 1 in 4 or whatever (not enough but that's a different issue). Gondola lines will be long for skiers and sight seers I'm sure.

Re: bikes and hotels, if they don't have staff only bike valet like Aava, Fairmont etc. then my bike is coming into my room. Don't ask permission, just be discreet and obviously clean your bike, don't make a mess or mark up the walls/elevators etc. I've heard of people resorting to taking wheels off and just carrying the frame in if they give you crap. Never had an issue doing this in Whistler and all around B.C.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
kookseverywhere wrote:

Rode it last fall end of September during the bear warning. Had bear spray on the hip and all the boys just kept close to each other, no dropping each other on the climbs/descents and we were good.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2019 at 16:27 Quote
only the top part of fitz has much snow, once you're part way down there's barely any just a parts of lower Olympic pushed together for the ski-out, I'm not too worried about opening. Kinda funny to be skiing right beside totally clear bike park trails haha.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2019 at 16:43 Quote
kookseverywhere wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
kookseverywhere wrote:

Rode it last fall end of September during the bear warning. Had bear spray on the hip and all the boys just kept close to each other, no dropping each other on the climbs/descents and we were good.

Selfish behaviour like this will end up with the bear being shot. Think about something larger than yourself and respect the trail closure.

Posted: May 6, 2019 at 16:46 Quote
Aava & Hilton (or any hotel that has a bike valet) are not overpriced if it means keeping your bike safe instead of taking a chance of getting it stolen. Whistler Village Inn and Suites & Whistler Peak Lodge (Used to be the Holiday Inn) both allow bikes in the rooms.

Posted: May 6, 2019 at 17:04 Quote
you can always pay to store your bike at the Garbanzo downhill rental store. I think it's $15 per night.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2019 at 19:31 Quote
Official update will be coming soon. For the time being, here you go:

Opening weekend: Fitz is bikes only, Gondi will have cabins for bikes, unsure how many. It will obviously be shared with skiers and sightseers, although in years past, opening weekend has had no gondola at all so this should be a marked improvement!

Trails: Snow is pretty minimal. We're doing a bit of snow clearing here and there, especially on EZDI and stuff on that side. Otherwise, focus is on dirt work and getting everything buff for all of you (and us). Much dirt sculpting happening on A-line, CIU, and assorted bits and bobs. Tech trails almost all G2G at this point other than the very top of upper joyride and upper Whistler DH although these should melt easily. Angry Pirate still quite snowy but we'll dig it out in time for opening I'm sure. Work forges ahead on the end of new Dirt Merchant although don't expect it for opening weekend. Ski out is now officially closed below gondola mid station so we can start plowing all the relevant crossings.

Things are looking most excellent for opening weekend!

Posted: May 6, 2019 at 21:38 Quote
nickel wrote:
Official update will be coming soon. For the time being, here you go:

Opening weekend: Fitz is bikes only, Gondi will have cabins for bikes, unsure how many. It will obviously be shared with skiers and sightseers, although in years past, opening weekend has had no gondola at all so this should be a marked improvement!

Trails: Snow is pretty minimal. We're doing a bit of snow clearing here and there, especially on EZDI and stuff on that side. Otherwise, focus is on dirt work and getting everything buff for all of you (and us). Much dirt sculpting happening on A-line, CIU, and assorted bits and bobs. Tech trails almost all G2G at this point other than the very top of upper joyride and upper Whistler DH although these should melt easily. Angry Pirate still quite snowy but we'll dig it out in time for opening I'm sure. Work forges ahead on the end of new Dirt Merchant although don't expect it for opening weekend. Ski out is now officially closed below gondola mid station so we can start plowing all the relevant crossings.

Things are looking most excellent for opening weekend!

THX, YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

O+
Posted: May 6, 2019 at 21:45 Quote
Stayed at Crystal Lodge once last summer. Good bike valet system there, probably as good as anything else where you leave your bike under the care of a stranger. In the end, the best protection is simply a good insurance replacement policy.

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
sdg1 wrote:
Where do people stay in Whistler to not get their bikes stolen? it seems like everywhere is some condo with shady parking garage-style storage and they don't want your bikes in the room....

I stay at the Westin or Four Seasons. They both offer a bike valet service that is only accessible by employees. I have had no issues in 11 years.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023642
Mobile Version of Website