The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: May 6, 2019 at 21:38 Quote
nickel wrote:
Official update will be coming soon. For the time being, here you go:

Opening weekend: Fitz is bikes only, Gondi will have cabins for bikes, unsure how many. It will obviously be shared with skiers and sightseers, although in years past, opening weekend has had no gondola at all so this should be a marked improvement!

Trails: Snow is pretty minimal. We're doing a bit of snow clearing here and there, especially on EZDI and stuff on that side. Otherwise, focus is on dirt work and getting everything buff for all of you (and us). Much dirt sculpting happening on A-line, CIU, and assorted bits and bobs. Tech trails almost all G2G at this point other than the very top of upper joyride and upper Whistler DH although these should melt easily. Angry Pirate still quite snowy but we'll dig it out in time for opening I'm sure. Work forges ahead on the end of new Dirt Merchant although don't expect it for opening weekend. Ski out is now officially closed below gondola mid station so we can start plowing all the relevant crossings.

Things are looking most excellent for opening weekend!

THX, YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

Posted: May 6, 2019 at 21:45 Quote
Stayed at Crystal Lodge once last summer. Good bike valet system there, probably as good as anything else where you leave your bike under the care of a stranger. In the end, the best protection is simply a good insurance replacement policy.

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
sdg1 wrote:
Where do people stay in Whistler to not get their bikes stolen? it seems like everywhere is some condo with shady parking garage-style storage and they don't want your bikes in the room....

I stay at the Westin or Four Seasons. They both offer a bike valet service that is only accessible by employees. I have had no issues in 11 years.

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 11:21 Quote
Lift passes... 4 week trip or maybe 5 weeks, better to get a season pass? also how much would i expect to pay, trying to get an idea of cost for a 2020 summer trip

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 12:31 Quote
what day is more likely to be the most crowded on opening weekend? Thursday the 17th or one of the weekend days?

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 12:37 Quote
JHollowell wrote:
what day is more likely to be the most crowded on opening weekend? Thursday the 17th or one of the weekend days?

Saturday

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 14:13 Quote
Scotj009 wrote:
Lift passes... 4 week trip or maybe 5 weeks, better to get a season pass? also how much would i expect to pay, trying to get an idea of cost for a 2020 summer trip
$710 CAD for a Season pass, or $480 CAD for a 10d pass according to the whistler blackcomb site.

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 14:45 Quote
tattooedmillionaire wrote:
sdg1 wrote:
Where do people stay in Whistler to not get their bikes stolen? it seems like everywhere is some condo with shady parking garage-style storage and they don't want your bikes in the room....

I stay at the Westin or Four Seasons. They both offer a bike valet service that is only accessible by employees. I have had no issues in 11 years.

Yeah but youre a tattooed millionaire, what are peasant scum like us supposed to do ?!

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 9:45 Quote
xTwoSnakesx wrote:
tattooedmillionaire wrote:
sdg1 wrote:

Yeah but youre a tattooed millionaire, what are peasant scum like us supposed to do ?!

Beer If you book well in advance and prepay you get fairly significant discounts. I booked 3 weeks at the Westin and it was 40% off. Averaged somewhere in the neighbourhood of $175 per night. Currently a theoretical stay from July 14 to 21 is $182 booked through whistler.com

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 13:59 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
Scotj009 wrote:
$710 CAD for a Season pass, or $480 CAD for a 10d pass according to the whistler blackcomb site.

Now I feel like a nob cause I spent ages trying to find it Facepalm

Definitely worth a season pass theb

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 14:20 Quote
kookseverywhere wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
kookseverywhere wrote:
Anyone know if Lord Of The Squirrels is snow free? If not any idea when it opens?

No chance. It'll be covered in meters of snow still. The trail didn't fully open until July 13th last year. I'm keeping an eye on updates here for my upcoming whistler trip this July. Not sure if the closure for the bear activity is still in place, but it closed last fall because of this.

Rode it last fall end of September during the bear warning. Had bear spray on the hip and all the boys just kept close to each other, no dropping each other on the climbs/descents and we were good.

It wasn't a warning, it was a closure. Don't do that. Lots of hard work in building and also in lobbying and meeting environmental concerns in that trail and if people ride it when it's closed it jeprodizes not only future work but current access too.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 8:14 Quote
Scotj009 wrote:

If you're gonna ride the park more than 15 days get a season pass. 14 days or less get the 10 day. Extra passes are discounted with the 10 day.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 10:19 Quote
the new trail Happiest Day down near north secret is really nice. Props to the builder

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Scotj009 wrote:

If you're gonna ride the park more than 15 days get a season pass. 14 days or less get the 10 day. Extra passes are discounted with the 10 day.

Cheers

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 15:41 Quote
I'm in whis 3rd July-12th July if anyone is keen for laps?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017616
Mobile Version of Website