The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: May 9, 2019 at 16:31 Quote
kookseverywhere wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
kookseverywhere wrote:
Anyone know if Lord Of The Squirrels is snow free? If not any idea when it opens?

No chance. It'll be covered in meters of snow still. The trail didn't fully open until July 13th last year. I'm keeping an eye on updates here for my upcoming whistler trip this July. Not sure if the closure for the bear activity is still in place, but it closed last fall because of this.

Rode it last fall end of September during the bear warning. Had bear spray on the hip and all the boys just kept close to each other, no dropping each other on the climbs/descents and we were good.

Selfish attitudes like this will result with a dead bear and a closed trail.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 17:03 Quote
Sun2306 wrote:
the new trail Happiest Day down near north secret is really nice. Props to the builder

We dropped off thank you trail beer for him and he was stoked. Tag him if you have instagram at https://www.instagram.com/outthere_trails/ - and let him know where you left the beer

Posted: May 11, 2019 at 21:58 Quote
TheSpangler wrote:
kookseverywhere wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:

No chance. It'll be covered in meters of snow still. The trail didn't fully open until July 13th last year. I'm keeping an eye on updates here for my upcoming whistler trip this July. Not sure if the closure for the bear activity is still in place, but it closed last fall because of this.

Rode it last fall end of September during the bear warning. Had bear spray on the hip and all the boys just kept close to each other, no dropping each other on the climbs/descents and we were good.

Selfish attitudes like this will result with a dead bear and a closed trail.

100%. The bear warning isn't just to protect you. Its to protect a bear from being killed. Be a little more respectful of Wild life please.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 22:55 Quote
Some friends and I are coming up to Whistler May26 - June 1st. How much of the park is typically ride-able this time of year? Fitzsimmons is listed as being open during those dates. Hopefully all of the trails will be accessible in that zone?

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 7:33 Quote
This year I’m doing my second Whistler trip, this time plan on bringing my Enduro hardtail weapon to explore trails outside the bike park.
Is Top Of The World do-able on a hardtail?
Also looking for recommendations on any must ride trails in Whistler/Squamish/Pemby areas! Cheers

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 7:51 Quote
pool3yxx wrote:
This year I’m doing my second Whistler trip, this time plan on bringing my Enduro hardtail weapon to explore trails outside the bike park.
Also looking for recommendations on any must ride trails in Whistler/Squamish/Pemby areas! Cheers

I rode my hardtail around the trails outside of the bikepark and it was more than capable. Top of the world was a long rough old ride down but still cool.

Views: 747    Faves: 8    Comments: 4

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 8:15 Quote
theblerch wrote:
Some friends and I are coming up to Whistler May26 - June 1st. How much of the park is typically ride-able this time of year? Fitzsimmons is listed as being open during those dates. Hopefully all of the trails will be accessible in that zone?

Majority of the fitz trails for sure, maybe not 100% though

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 8:16 Quote
bigbluebike wrote:
pool3yxx wrote:

I rode my hardtail around the trails outside of the bikepark and it was more than capable. Top of the world was a long rough old ride down but still cool.

Shit yeah that looks sick, definitely will be taking my hardtail in to the bike park aswell for a few laps!!

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 9:32 Quote
bigbluebike wrote:
pool3yxx wrote:

lol that's sick dude!
I am always afraid that my frame breaks when I hit bigger jumps (I only have a 90mm fork), but it seems that a hardtail is capable of more when it has a fork with more suspension - how much is your suspension?

bought my seasons pass yesterday, can't wait to hit the bike park again!

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 11:27 Quote
bigbluebike wrote:
pool3yxx wrote:

that was already insane and then crab apple hits.... Big Grin kudo's to you.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 14:50 Quote
pool3yxx wrote:

Plenty of stuff outside the park which is as gnarly if not more so than the trails inside Razz

What style of riding do you like?

LOTS is the obvious Whistler answer, big old day but a fast and fun descent. Not that technical but almost worth the effort for the views alone.

Westside go to trails (for me) are Cheap Thrills and the Rockwork Orange trilogy. And you can't go wrong with any of the upper blackcomb trails.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 15:46 Quote
bigbluebike wrote:
pool3yxx wrote:

Impressive! I do TOTW - Khyber - Kashmir - Kush on the hardtail. But Goats Gully, Crabapple, A-line etc. Not so much. Well done!

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 15:47 Quote
pool3yxx wrote:

I'm with Kingtut. What kind of trails do you like? I find the technical up and down trails are awesome on the hardtail but everyone's different

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 22:54 Quote
Man did ya have to post that? Can't let any of my family see this... Trying to use a Whistler trip as a reason for a full-squish... Razz

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 23:12 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
theblerch wrote:

Majority of the fitz trails for sure, maybe not 100% though

Is it common for some of them to be closed even after a week being open? I'm really more passionate about riding the technical trails which makes this a little bit of a bummer since the majority of the black diamond technical trails are up in Garbonzo Zone. But this is my only opportunity I think this summer to make the trip.

Hopefully trails like Funshine Rolly Drops and Smoke&Mirrors will be open by then... :/

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020303
Mobile Version of Website