The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 23:42 Quote
My bud has purchased a brand new helmet here. Is not it a rude violation if we put the old one on the stomp somewhere on the trails with a sign like "tap for +5 extra grip"? Big Grin

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 8:00 Quote
don't you dare put your damn garbage on the mountain. dispose of it properly.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 9:30 Quote
nickel wrote:
don't you dare put your damn garbage on the mountain. dispose of it properly.

Aw yes like in a landfill so they can bury it underground for ground water to absorb. Keep up that fine thinking thinker.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
I'm sorry, are you proposing that strewing garbage all over the place is somehow superior to centralized disposal?

By your logic, we should all throw our garbage out the window because it won't go to a landfill.

A helmet can be pulled apart and many of its components recycled. this is what should be done with objects no longer able to serve their purpose, not left beside a trail or dumped in the woods.

wtf is going on where this is even somehow up for debate...

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 15:04 Quote
Well, I see. If it used to happen on my home trail I've built, I'd hang it on a tree like a kind of totem. So if it is inappropriate here, we will dispose it in a proper way. Anyway, it is better to ask first, as far as I am not local and not totally familiar with local rules and habits.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 15:23 Quote
Chuvak wrote:
Well, I see. If it used to happen on my home trail I've built, I'd hang it on a tree like a kind of totem. So if it is inappropriate here, we will dispose it in a proper way. Anyway, it is better to ask first, as far as I am not local and not totally familiar with local rules and habits.

Good lad! Better to ask before doing anything stupid unlike some people....

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 15:33 Quote
Chuvak wrote:

Thank you.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 16:16 Quote
BTW, in trail forks app I've discovered some trails on the Blackcomb mountain that have a finish not so far from Lost Lake. Like Hey Bud or Micro Climate. Are these ones built by locals? And can we have a few laps there?

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 16:30 Quote
Chuvak wrote:
BTW, in trail forks app I've discovered some trails on the Blackcomb mountain that have a finish not so far from Lost Lake. Like Hey Bud or Micro Climate. Are these ones built by locals? And can we have a few laps there?

Those trails were built by locals. You are free to ride them.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 22:13 Quote
Chuvak wrote:

what i did (i live in nanaimo). my gf bought a new helmet and did not use her old anymore. it is common in nanaimo that ppl have a box outside on the sidewalk and put things in there that others can take for free (and is marked for free). i did that, the helmet was gone within 5 minutes - maybe you can try that too.

BTW. i am planning to go to whis from august 13th to august 22nd - as there is crankworx, do you already know how many trails will be closed and for how long?

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 22:28 Quote
Demo8AUT wrote:
Chuvak wrote:

what i did (i live in nanaimo). my gf bought a new helmet and did not use her old anymore. it is common in nanaimo that ppl have a box outside on the sidewalk and put things in there that others can take for free (and is marked for free). i did that, the helmet was gone within 5 minutes - maybe you can try that too.

BTW. i am planning to go to whis from august 13th to august 22nd - as there is crankworx, do you already know how many trails will be closed and for how long?

I made my old helmet into a lamp. Awesome conversation piece. All my crashes documented on it. Lol!

I volunteered last three years for crankworx and the trail closures are all over the place. Between enduro, kids races and practices, it’s really all over the map. Also the ladies only Aline clinic shuts down the trail for a couple hours. But typically they will open up at some point during the day, so you just gotta keep riding past it and check.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 23:00 Quote
chinaboy wrote:
Demo8AUT wrote:
Chuvak wrote:

I made my old helmet into a lamp. Awesome conversation piece. All my crashes documented on it. Lol!

I volunteered last three years for crankworx and the trail closures are all over the place. Between enduro, kids races and practices, it’s really all over the map. Also the ladies only Aline clinic shuts down the trail for a couple hours. But typically they will open up at some point during the day, so you just gotta keep riding past it and check.

oh wow thats ar eally good idea actually - I will do that with my next one. It is always a pity to through something to landfill and knowing that it will be there forever.

i already checked the cx website and it actually does not say which trails will be included in the race. besides the garbo race, are there any other races in garbo area or creekside? do you roughly know how many trails will be closed? is it more like 5+ in fitz area or fewer? i assume that trails are maybe closed for a day but not for a whole week, eh?

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 23:50 Quote
Crankworx will post a PDF on their website showing trail closure times by day, not sure when it goes up but it will.

A-Line gets closed for Air DH practice/race and women's session, Canadian Open DH will close Schleyer/Upper Joyride/Lower Canadian Open and I think Lower Joyride, Garbo DH varies I think lately is O-Sin In Deep Duffman on down. EWS bit of a wildcard, I would expect they will use the new Creekside trails (MissFire/Delayed Fuse into BC's maybe as a stage) to showcase them and draw more attention to Creekside and they always run a stage off TOTW.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 14:26 Quote
Upper Babylon just disappeared from trailforks- anyone know why?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014629
Mobile Version of Website