The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 15:05 Quote
Sun2306 wrote:
Upper Babylon just disappeared from trailforks- anyone know why?

WB mgmt decision to hide it.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 19:23 Quote
flipfantasia wrote:
Sun2306 wrote:

Weird choice to be honest - it's always been there. Not that anyone rides it anyways.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 19:43 Quote
Sun2306 wrote:
flipfantasia wrote:
Sun2306 wrote:

Weird choice to be honest - it's always been there. Not that anyone rides it anyways.
It'll be a legality/liability decision. Can't be at fault if someone hurts themselves on a trail that "doesn't exist" in the park.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 20:20 Quote
Sun2306 wrote:
flipfantasia wrote:
Sun2306 wrote:

it gets ridden, but yeah, it was on the map when I moved to Whistler in 2002, one of the first trails I rode in town actually.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 9:55 Quote
flipfantasia wrote:
Sun2306 wrote:
flipfantasia wrote:

it gets ridden, but yeah, it was on the map when I moved to Whistler in 2002, one of the first trails I rode in town actually.

Is that the trail with the infamous chute with the rope to downclimb? Seen pics but never ridden out that way.

Did LOTS from Function last weekend, awesome conditions for opening weekend, some snow patches up high but surprisingly little mud/puddles. The new Rush Hour/Last Call trails are a great addition to separate people ripping to/from the viewpoint from the climbs. Hoping to get back up there for TOTW/Khyber and a Dark Crystal lap this weekend.

Miss Fire/Midgard still closed according to WB website?

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 10:08 Quote
gramboh wrote:
flipfantasia wrote:
Sun2306 wrote:

Is that the trail with the infamous chute with the rope to downclimb? Seen pics but never ridden out that way.

Did LOTS from Function last weekend, awesome conditions for opening weekend, some snow patches up high but surprisingly little mud/puddles. The new Rush Hour/Last Call trails are a great addition to separate people ripping to/from the viewpoint from the climbs. Hoping to get back up there for TOTW/Khyber and a Dark Crystal lap this weekend.

re. Babylon, yes that's the one with the chute downclimb rope, although there's been a ride around for the past few years (that's still exposed and super tech) that means you don't really have to downclimb anymore. If people find Kashmir/Kush too technical or hard, they will definitely want to give Babylon a miss, it's steeper, and rootier, with some very difficult sections.

also did a LOTS lap Sunday, really enjoyed the routing on both Rush Hour and Last Call, notice the RMOW upgraded Rush/Happy/Last Call to black diamond too. definitely more narrow and raw technical than Mystic or On the Rocks

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 11:07 Quote
we rode Midguard last week and what shit show, I couldn't understand why it was left open, it was like riding through a swamp, I felt so bad for all the damage being done.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 12:52 Quote
gramboh wrote:
flipfantasia wrote:
Sun2306 wrote:

I’ve been trying to get on misfire for past two weeks and had no luck. Keep missing the sporadic openings. And it rained so hard last night I can’t see it being open right now.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 13:02 Quote
Anyone know where to get spare parts for Poc helmets in town?

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 14:58 Quote
Based on the info in this thread and with today's rainy weather I rode Howler, Billy Epic, and River Runs Through It. Great fun. Although that grind up to Howler was a special kind of shitty.

Rode Lord Of The Squirrels yesterday and it was so good. First time for me but what an epic ride. Followed it up with Pura Vida and the Danimals before trudging back to the condo at Blackcomb. I think one of my favourite all time rides.

TOTW tomorrow, but kinda bummed Miss Fire is closed. Ah well.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 15:53 Quote
flipfantasia wrote:
gramboh wrote:
flipfantasia wrote:

re. Babylon, yes that's the one with the chute downclimb rope, although there's been a ride around for the past few years (that's still exposed and super tech) that means you don't really have to downclimb anymore. If people find Kashmir/Kush too technical or hard, they will definitely want to give Babylon a miss, it's steeper, and rootier, with some very difficult sections.

also did a LOTS lap Sunday, really enjoyed the routing on both Rush Hour and Last Call, notice the RMOW upgraded Rush/Happy/Last Call to black diamond too. definitely more narrow and raw technical than Mystic or On the Rocks

Cool to know about Babylon... doubt I will ever get out there, prefer to main route down too much.

Good call on Rush Hour/Last Call for sure, there's a couple tight rocky corners that lead into sharp descents, sharp uphills etc. Fun but certainly more challenging than the other trails. Also I underestimated the incremental effort to get to the lookout and back, burned a lot of energy but so worth it. Trailforks says 2284m vert from Function to look-out and back via Pura Vida/Danimal south/Millar creek rd... Strava says 1,518m... certainly felt more than that haha.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 17:52 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
Based on the info in this thread and with today's rainy weather I rode Howler, Billy Epic, and River Runs Through It. Great fun. Although that grind up to Howler was a special kind of shitty.

Nicely done. Hiked Rick's Roost and Green Monster to give it a rake and things were in good shape. Those trails do dry out well

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 19:55 Quote
LetMeLive wrote:
Anyone know where to get spare parts for Poc helmets in town?

I believe I've seen a shop selling POC gear across from Carleton Lodge - tricky to explain but if you come out from TLD and turn left, there's a few shops ( one of them as awesome chocolate stuff ) and following the shops to your left hand side you'll see one with POC and Evoc gear - hope this helps

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 1:41 Quote
Hi, so I'll be travelling to BC from UK next week. planning to visit whistler, squamish, chilcotins. Anyone flown with Transat airlines? they tell me only bike & helmet can go in the bikebag (evoc). what about pump/tube/spares? was planning to put pads & riding shoes in the bag too like I did with British Airways before. Anyone had items removed from bikebag?

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 3:34 Quote
In the need for some fresh rubber what are people recomending ?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014971
Mobile Version of Website