The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Sep 7, 2019 at 10:16 Quote
nickel wrote:
just let em have it.

Pretty much

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 at 10:32 Quote
I dunno, there were already environmental groups talking about numbers of users and impact before hoards of ebikes started riding up there. I want to see bylaw or the rangers given the power to hand out fines. It's a really shitty attitude from those knowingly breaking the rules.

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 at 10:34 Quote
nickel wrote:
just let em have it.

f*ck that. If they can't respect the rules they should be fined. The ebike ban is there for a reason. They should learn to take some responsibility and then realize that their behaviour is exactly what a lot of people are worried about.

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 at 11:06 Quote
vibratevibratevibrate wrote:
nickel wrote:
just let em have it.

f*ck that. If they can't respect the rules they should be fined. The ebike ban is there for a reason. They should learn to take some responsibility and then realize that their behaviour is exactly what a lot of people are worried about.

Muni doesn't have either balls and/or staying power to police the rules they laid down. I said that as well as others. Unless you or somebody else wants to trail cop that's the reality. We're a convenience and ease society and this is one of the manifestations of that

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 at 11:15 Quote
nickel wrote:
just let em have it.

Agreed. I love my ebike but gotta respect the rules.

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 at 12:47 Quote
nickel wrote:
just let em have it.

And what exactly is the reason for the e-bike ban? Some conjured up boogeyman of increased erosion? That's a fallacy. That it will lead to overuse? This could be debated, but there's zero evidence that this is the case. Some sort of me-too sympathy with USFS issues? Semper fi brother...

There's no real reason for this ban.

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 at 13:09 Quote
The rules maybe should be contested, but not blatantly ignored.

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 at 13:54 Quote
nickel wrote:
nickel wrote:
just let em have it.

And what exactly is the reason for the e-bike ban? Some conjured up boogeyman of increased erosion? That's a fallacy. That it will lead to overuse? This could be debated, but there's zero evidence that this is the case. Some sort of me-too sympathy with USFS issues? Semper fi brother...

I could do a study but none of the folk I've seen on ebikes in the altitude looked like they were fit enough to pedal up there. It's clearly going to increase usage, more usage is more erosion and more scope for bad behaviour. More people also leads to alpine specific environmental concerns. It's not at all unheard of for access to alpine terrain to be limited to people who can get up there under their own power.

Show me a study that shows more users doesn't equal more erosion and I'll buy you a beer.

The WORCA and RMOW surveys showed the local population don't want ebikes in the aline. That's a good enough reason.

I look forward to the outrage when bylaw do send someone up there on a weekend while the pocket hundreds of dollars in fines.

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 at 21:47 Quote
nickel wrote:
just let em have it.
you mean like beat them up or just let them ride the trail? LoL!

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 5:01 Quote
kingtut87 wrote:
nickel wrote:

I could do a study but none of the folk I've seen on ebikes in the altitude looked like they were fit enough to pedal up there. It's clearly going to increase usage, more usage is more erosion and more scope for bad behaviour. More people also leads to alpine specific environmental concerns. It's not at all unheard of for access to alpine terrain to be limited to people who can get up there under their own power.

Show me a study that shows more users doesn't equal more erosion and I'll buy you a beer.

The WORCA and RMOW surveys showed the local population don't want ebikes in the aline. That's a good enough reason.

I look forward to the outrage when bylaw do send someone up there on a weekend while the pocket hundreds of dollars in fines.

More users. And also less capable users ie "slide not ride" users.

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 5:22 Quote
then it arguably should never have been built at all.

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 9:31 Quote
SeniorBrucio wrote:

Theory was that more elevation + more distance sets up an inherent entry barrier to doing Mystic Squirrels. Ergo only more capable riders would do it. Therefore less rescue scenarios. Theory was that having ebikers up there removes the fitness entry barrier.

Personally I never bought that having seen the sheer number of people on the trail. It's a bucket list. People will try to do it no matter what their abilities. Also personally, if you allow ebikes up there then allow moto. Fair is fair

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 10:01 Quote
nickel wrote:
then it arguably should never have been built at all.
That's dumb, either allow everything or nothing at all? So without even mentioning Squamish or Kamloops etc, we should destroy Whistler b/c I've never seen a moto bike there and I can't take an F150 Raptor down Aline?

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 10:53 Quote
As Lee has stated unless someone is parked at the trailhead and making sure ppls bikes tick all the boxes they will ride their eBikes up there. All but impossible to enforce.

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 11:59 Quote
leelau wrote:
SeniorBrucio wrote:

Theory was that more elevation + more distance sets up an inherent entry barrier to doing Mystic Squirrels. Ergo only more capable riders would do it. Therefore less rescue scenarios. Theory was that having ebikers up there removes the fitness entry barrier.

Personally I never bought that having seen the sheer number of people on the trail. It's a bucket list. People will try to do it no matter what their abilities. Also personally, if you allow ebikes up there then allow moto. Fair is fair

Allow moto? Surely you understand the difference in trail impact between ebikes and moto. That’s ridiculous. An ebike doesn’t dig ruts or impact trails any more than a regular mountain bike. I can see higher rider usage being an issue but let’s not get carried away or it makes your stance look silly.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013395
Mobile Version of Website