The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 20:00 Quote
any suggestions which (valley)trails to ride in the wet?

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 20:29 Quote
xtcccc wrote:

Easier; lost lake zappa trails, cut yer bars/roll yer bones, three birds 99er danimal

Harder; business time am pm, Billy epic, howler, yummy nummy/comfortably numb (foreplay section).

Other option is trying the trails in Pemberton as they handle rain well and dry fast.

Howler is one of my favourite wet rides, the climb up kinda sucks though

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 20:43 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
xtcccc wrote:

Easier; lost lake zappa trails, cut yer bars/roll yer bones, three birds 99er danimal

Harder; business time am pm, Billy epic, howler, yummy nummy/comfortably numb (foreplay section).

Other option is trying the trails in Pemberton as they handle rain well and dry fast.

Howler is one of my favourite wet rides, the climb up kinda sucks though

thnx

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 13:21 Quote
nickel wrote:
true that! I think it will regain some popularity when our duffman reroute is done. It will completely remove the need to ride the skidder road back to golden Triangle.

Ohhh I like the sounds of this, good stuff.

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 19:07 Quote
gramboh wrote:
nickel wrote:
true that! I think it will regain some popularity when our duffman reroute is done. It will completely remove the need to ride the skidder road back to golden Triangle.

Ohhh I like the sounds of this, good stuff.

Hoping it'll be done very soon. Definitely planning on cracking it before end of Garbo season. More loam for the people!

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 17:29 Quote
1.4 skills center, if you look on trail map it’s at the end of Wednesday Night Delight, start of Devils Club,
Easiest way to access is Bline, which that skills center is in the mid of

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 13:00 Quote
Can anyone recommend a Whistler trail or location with some low-risk or no-risk bridges? They freak me out and I need to desensitize.

O+
Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 13:10 Quote
Pinochios Furniture

O+
Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 14:06 Quote
TheSpangler wrote:
Pinochios Furniture

This section of Lost Lake has a bunch, of varying difficulty. The rest of the Lost Lake trails also have bridges, usually fairly short and low consequence, with optional skinnier options on some of them.

River Runs Through It is the other obvious example, all woodwork, varying degrees of consequence as you work your way around.

RMOW are apparently in there soon tidying it up so should be more in good shape in the near future.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 13:40 Quote
Thinking of heading up to Whistler this weekend with friend who is very good and girlfriend who likes pedaling and not spending money. Three questions:

1. The "Sampler" bike park ticket says it's good for three laps, valid on Fitzsimmons, Creekside and Garbanzo. Does that mean my ticket would be exhausted after one ride on each of those, or can I do three laps from the top of Garbanzo to the bottom of Fitz?

2. Is someone on a budget hardtail, albeit with relatively modern geometry and brand new Minion WTs, going to have a bad time in the bike park?

3. Best trail(s) outside the park for a group with plenty of fitness but mixed descending skill?

Never been riding in Canada so pretty excited!

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 14:02 Quote
toddball wrote:
Thinking of heading up to Whistler this weekend with friend who is very good and girlfriend who likes pedaling and not spending money. Three questions:

1. The "Sampler" bike park ticket says it's good for three laps, valid on Fitzsimmons, Creekside and Garbanzo. Does that mean my ticket would be exhausted after one ride on each of those, or can I do three laps from the top of Garbanzo to the bottom of Fitz?

2. Is someone on a budget hardtail, albeit with relatively modern geometry and brand new Minion WTs, going to have a bad time in the bike park?

3. Best trail(s) outside the park for a group with plenty of fitness but mixed descending skill?

1 - Yup, one lap on each, or 3 laps of the same lift, or however you want to match it up. Best value is probably Fitz -> Garbo -> Creekside. Or if you start in Creekside then Creekside-> Garbo -> Creekside. It depends on your ability though and what you all want to be riding.

2 - Brake bumps are going to suck on a hardtail, but other than that, if the rider is vaguely competent then trails like Del Boca Vista, B-Line, maybe some of the Creekside flow trails should be fine.

3 - Probably start in Lost Lake and gauge how you get on there. The blue trails there link up into a 7km or 8km loop. It's pretty pedally, but has some fun sections. Heading over to the Westside of the village, lower 27 switchbacks in smooth and flowy then you can do some more natural traversy blue tech by doing bobs rebob, get over it, mels dilemma.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
toddball wrote:

Dude. Welcome to Canada!
And three laps is not gonna be enough...once you get a taste of it....Smile it’s like a drug.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 17:54 Quote
Yeah throw down for a day ticket it's awesome. Although, the lines will be big this weekend (any weekend in the fall with decent weather=busy!)

Also FYI creekside gondola isn't running anymore

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 20:18 Quote
Creekside Gondola is closed for the season. Sampler ticket is good for 3 scans. Doing Fitz-》Garbo counts as 2 scans.
If the person on the hardtail isn't a masochistic shred, they likely will not love it as the bike park trails are rock hard mineral soil and not the loamy soft spongy trails many are used to. It's definitely worthwhile having a squishy bike. If you insist on doing it with a hardtail and a sampler ticket and the rider is in the intermediate bracket, suggest your 3 laps be in fitz as garbo is much rockier and more challenging and it will be cold AF up there this weekend. try golden triangle -> del boca vista as a first lap, then ninja cougar-> karate monkey->ho chi minh then b-line->blueseum->afternoon delight

Have fun.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019186
Mobile Version of Website