The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 9:27 Quote
Gondola to RHL is always delayed from the opening of Garbanzo as the extra 200m of vert is significant regarding snowmelt. Don't expect to be able to ride the gondola to the top until end of June.

Trails in the top third of garbo are usually a mess for the first 2 weeks it's open, which is a significant detriment to their conditions for some time thereafter. I'm a big proponent of just riding where the riding is good. Caveat: Every season is different and the snowpack is currently below average. March precip will be an important contributor in deciding the fate of the upper mountain.

O+
Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 16:49 Quote
nickel wrote:
Gondola to RHL is always delayed from the opening of Garbanzo as the extra 200m of vert is significant regarding snowmelt. Don't expect to be able to ride the gondola to the top until end of June.

Trails in the top third of garbo are usually a mess for the first 2 weeks it's open, which is a significant detriment to their conditions for some time thereafter. I'm a big proponent of just riding where the riding is good. Caveat: Every season is different and the snowpack is currently below average. March precip will be an important contributor in deciding the fate of the upper mountain.

I agree with that thought, ride where it is good. There are times when Garbo is still very sloppy/greasy and Fitz is running perfect. I understand if someone is coming for holidays, take a run up in Garbo to see what it's like but there's enough in Fitz you keep you busy for a week easily (or more, an entire summer if you like to jump), I wouldn't be worried about a mid-June trip, you will have fun.

Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 18:06 Quote
gramboh wrote:
nickel wrote:

I agree with that thought, ride where it is good. There are times when Garbo is still very sloppy/greasy and Fitz is running perfect. I understand if someone is coming for holidays, take a run up in Garbo to see what it's like but there's enough in Fitz you keep you busy for a week easily (or more, an entire summer if you like to jump), I wouldn't be worried about a mid-June trip, you will have fun.

Thanks all. I had a lot of fun in the Garbo zone last year. But if it is not open I can practice more on the hard stuff down the mountain Wink So there is always a positive. Might even have time for Squamish or a trail ride!

Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 7:27 Quote
Keep in mind, when the lift lines are pushing an hour wait at Fitz...there is almost always zero people lined up for garbo or creekside. So even if the conditions aren't great, you'll still have more fun than standing in the line in the village.

Posted: Mar 15, 2020 at 1:41 Quote
CBC.ca says that vali resorts closes Whistler for 8 days to decide what to do with this virus. Hope everything will be fine soon, I have a mounth long vacation at Whistler in July.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/whistler-blackcomb-closure-coronavirus-1.5498313

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2020 at 16:53 Quote
Chuvak wrote:
CBC.ca says that vali resorts closes Whistler for 8 days to decide what to do with this virus. Hope everything will be fine soon, I have a mounth long vacation at Whistler in July.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/whistler-blackcomb-closure-coronavirus-1.5498313
.crazy news. My gfs work place is closing for a week too in whistler, just following Whistlers lead I guess. Crazy times. I have a bad feeling it will extend beyond a week. Thank gawd bike season is not for a few more months.

Posted: Mar 15, 2020 at 17:38 Quote
In china everything goes fine right now and the situation with virus trend is declining. it took somewhere around 1.5 months for that with china population density. it's predictable that at the same time situation in EU, CAD and US goes worse, because virus got there with a month delay. anyway, i think somewhere in May everything will be fine. anyway i hope so. i have prepaid apartments, flight tickets and stuff for 1 July - 3 August in whistler. also now i'm kind of starving this month after upgrading my 2012 summum frame to a brand new 27.5 summum carbon (also a new wheelset for it). so damn, it HAS to be fine till June

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2020 at 19:01 Quote
Chuvak wrote:
In china everything goes fine right now and the situation with virus trend is declining. it took somewhere around 1.5 months for that with china population density. it's predictable that at the same time situation in EU, CAD and US goes worse, because virus got there with a month delay. anyway, i think somewhere in May everything will be fine. anyway i hope so. i have prepaid apartments, flight tickets and stuff for 1 July - 3 August in whistler. also now i'm kind of starving this month after upgrading my 2012 summum frame to a brand new 27.5 summum carbon (also a new wheelset for it). so damn, it HAS to be fine till June

Yes I think that is a good guess too. I’m thinking the same. See you in the park!

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 0:43 Quote
chinaboy wrote:
See you in the park!
pm me your number if you want, so I can bring you a fridge magnet from Vladivostok Big Grin

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 12:25 Quote
Chuvak wrote:
chinaboy wrote:
See you in the park!
pm me your number if you want, so I can bring you a fridge magnet from Vladivostok Big Grin
That would be wicked! Let’s do a few laps! Will msg you closer to the date. Thx!

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 13:28 Quote
See they closed the borders for now... fingers crossed this stuff is ‘under control’ soon!

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 16:21 Quote
chinaboy wrote:
That would be wicked! Let’s do a few laps! Will msg you closer to the date. Thx!
sure thing!

kusanagi72 wrote:
See they closed the borders for now... fingers crossed this stuff is ‘under control’ soon!
yeah man, i hope it will be fine soon. anyway earlier closed-earlier opened i guess.

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 20:01 Quote
If I was a betting man I'd say Highly likely that there will be no 2020 bike park season.

Check this out

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremycyoung/status/1239975682643357696

And the full study here explaining why at min the next 18 months globally is going to be Interesting

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 21:23 Quote
If there is no whistler keep in mind Cypress has some awesome DH trails! Some secret stuff too if you're fortunate enough to have the builders show you.

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 21:55 Quote
Tying to be optimistic. SARS pandemic lasted from NOV 2002 till JUN 2003. and it has been stretched so long because china did nit inform rest of the world till FEB 2003. and nowadays we got more developed medicine and chinese experience in curing COVID. anyway i keep all fingers crossed. got a huge plans for this summer vacation.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019699
Mobile Version of Website