The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 16:01 Quote
That lineup does not look socially distanced.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 20:25 Quote
dirtpedaler wrote:
What's officially not happening this year?
Extended Play
Creekside
Top of the World

WBP have stated that creekside is open but the creekside gondola is NOT. Do you have to ride the village trail back.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 21:01 Quote
The new set up with barriers between the bike wash racks is nice, don't get sprayed by people next to you!

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 23:15 Quote
Looks like a good mix of trails open and not to busy seeming as it’s opening day and better weather than last year !! Reworking the end of Aline so hopefully that will open soon ??
Have fun

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 4:38 Quote
I rode from open til close. Lines were 20-30 min all day on Fitz, no line on Garbo. Once you got through the line the trails seemed empty so there can't have been that many people there. The line moves really slow since you can only get on the chair with people that you came with and of course there is no singles line.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 6:39 Quote
Can someone confirm if can ride the creek side trails , just no lift from there ?

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 7:04 Quote
Colinofthewoods wrote:
Can someone confirm if can ride the creek side trails , just no lift from there ?

yup, pedal/shuttle up Kadenwood and you can ride BC's, Earth Circus and Insomnia

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 9:00 Quote
Colinofthewoods wrote:

Yes WBP confirmed that creekside is open but no gondola.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 9:19 Quote
And of course Junuary gets in one last kick at everyone. Crappy, rainy day for day 2 of Whistler bike park.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 9:24 Quote
DennisETaylor wrote:
And of course Junuary gets in one last kick at everyone. Crappy, rainy day for day 2 of Whistler bike park.

should be quiet then , no queues and some testy tech trails to spice things up

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 9:33 Quote
DennisETaylor wrote:

Unfortunately so and tomorrow is not looking much better. As a British Citizen, I tend to celebrate Canada day more than most Canadians since I feel as if I am cheating the system and it is a day off I don't necessarily deserve.

I'l be sitting on Blacks' balcony drinking instead of riding at this rate.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 10:29 Quote
Wish it was just 'one last kick' but its been like this for the last 2 months

better than smoke i guess

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 20:15 Quote
Hows the vibe around the village? are bars and restaurants open? how late?

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 20:41 Quote
skinnyDH wrote:
DennisETaylor wrote:

Unfortunately so and tomorrow is not looking much better. As a British Citizen, I tend to celebrate Canada day more than most Canadians since I feel as if I am cheating the system and it is a day off I don't necessarily deserve.

I'l be sitting on Blacks' balcony drinking instead of riding at this rate.

Lol I've never celebrated and I'm 33

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 11:45 Quote
kookseverywhere wrote:
Hows the vibe around the village? are bars and restaurants open? how late?

I was up there Sunday to Wednesday. The village is dead compared to normal. Most restaurants are open (but not all), you can generally get a table pretty easily even though they are 50% ish capacity cuz of COVID. Didn't go to any bars, only Dubh Linn and Handlebar. I think the clubs are open but you need to book a table and no dancing? Walking around the village it feels pretty empty as well and Blackcomb village is a ghost town. Kind of liked it to be honest, felt like summers 10-15 years ago.

Park itself was awesome, everything open except black+ jump lines (bottom zone of A-Line was open). Rode Tuesday when the weather was on and off, was muddy at the end of the day for sure but Garbo in the wet was fun as always. Zero line for Garbo ever.

After all the rumours and complaining, everyone should be giving props to WBP/trail crew right about now. New Crank It Up rebuilt parts are great and there's a new addition to Duffman that was sweet to stumble upon. Some nice clean-up work on Schleyer as well as the right hander after the last rock roll on Detroit Rock City.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013263
Mobile Version of Website