The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 18:32 Quote
why "sigh"? It's important work and vital to protecting the community. It's not like there aren't other trails around.

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 22:05 Quote
wish their thinning was less destructive. the old thinning they did on Peaches was much better. the new lost lake thinning is very aggressive and doesn't feel like it has been done very well

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 5:53 Quote
StanMarsh wrote:
1. Fitz is not a gondola
2. Why would anyone expect Vail to replace fitz within 2 years of buying WB? I've seen a lot of legit Vail hate and i've seen a lot of dumb Vail hate but this one is by far the most retarded.

Yeah i know but English is my third language.

Watch your language lol. Tons of my friends in Europe repair chairlift/gondola/trains. Most of them said when they came to Whistler, is "a 20 years old 4 seats chairlift, busy like that is a joke in the industry". FYI in 2018 they built one 4 seats, one 6 seats and one gondola. I know it was before Vail, i dont care about this company or the old one, the fact is no one care about updating the Fitz and the queue is still massive. I was just saying it would be nice for the fitz to be updated. I know there is the gondola but it is not amazing to be 3 on a tight space with L and XL DH bikes. Anyway regarding the situation Vail will not update the chairlift but at least they improved the design of the top station and change the washing station. In addition the staff is doing an amazing job for Covid and if you are bored on the chairlift you can count the surgical mask on the ground !

I know this year it is a bit special, but 20-30 min queue it is rough on week days, specially 10-5. If i was paying $30 or $40 like in Europe i would not complain. But $80 + tax it hurts and $185 + tax for winter it is madness lol. Now i park on Creekside and ride Garbonzo, Freight Train is my new Dirt merchant lol.

Obviously mechanical and sh*t happens but on peak season it is rough. One week to fix a chairlift it is not normal in the industry. Just imagine if they didnt have a B plan like the village gondola or Creekside. They would have to shutdown the all park for a week. Ski resorts and specially small one can t afford mechanical failures because good luck to find some specific Doppelmayr parts in North America for a 21 years old chairlift.

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 8:24 Quote
But they do have Creekside and village gondolas, so maybe that’s why it’s not a big deal for them. I’m not a lift mechanic but a 20 yr old lift is completely acceptable. Life expectancy is probably 30+ yrs. Peak chair and 7th heaven are I think about 26 years years old. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 8:27 Quote
also, replacing Fitz is not a smart year-round investment,

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 8:56 Quote
If you guys think whistler has old infrastructure, you need to go to Japan. Whistler looks like it’s from the future compared to, say, Hakuba.

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 9:08 Quote
Or even red mountain

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 10:44 Quote
I have been to 30-40 different ski resorts and bike parks. Most of the time they have a 6 seats for the bike, even a tiny Ski resort like Morgins in Switzerland ( amazing bikepark ) gonna get a 6 seats this year. The Pierre Longue in Chatel also have been updated for a 6. The Same in Morzine/Avoriaz. I take Les Portes du Soleil as an example because it is the European equivalent of Whistler, It is 8 ski resorts and you can easily bike to another one with the pass and it is 2 to 3 times cheaper.

Idk if it is a smart investment but this chairlift is near the village and it will reduce the line up and frustration for Summer and Winter season ! Money is not an excuse when you charge $185 for a day pass.

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 12:19 Quote
Ba1rog wrote:
I have been to 30-40 different ski resorts and bike parks. Most of the time they have a 6 seats for the bike, even a tiny Ski resort like Morgins in Switzerland ( amazing bikepark ) gonna get a 6 seats this year. The Pierre Longue in Chatel also have been updated for a 6. The Same in Morzine/Avoriaz. I take Les Portes du Soleil as an example because it is the European equivalent of Whistler, It is 8 ski resorts and you can easily bike to another one with the pass and it is 2 to 3 times cheaper.

Idk if it is a smart investment but this chairlift is near the village and it will reduce the line up and frustration for Summer and Winter season ! Money is not an excuse when you charge $185 for a day pass.

You really complain a lot. Whistler is a privilege not a right. If you have a problem with the chair lift you don't have to go there....

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 13:07 Quote
Ba1rog wrote:
... bunch of words no one cares about...

Ray? Is that you? You sound like quite the armchair expert in ski resort management. You should get in touch with Rob Katz and tell him what's what.

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 13:35 Quote
TBH i dont care i bought an enduro and a 5 day pass it is enough. Not a cow, i dont like to be milked Whip Whip Whip Dead Horse Dead Horse

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 13:48 Quote
What good is a 6 seat bench when you can only fit 4 bikes on the rack anyways? I mean with covid it would allow you to pair up single riders sitting on opposite sides but this is temporary.

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 14:03 Quote
Camstyn wrote:
What good is a 6 seat bench when you can only fit 4 bikes on the rack anyways? I mean with covid it would allow you to pair up single riders sitting on opposite sides but this is temporary.

You can put 5 bikes on the back of the 6 seats. Only on Pomas and it is a bit harder for kids to put their bikes on.

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 16:24 Quote
Ba1rog wrote:
TBH i dont care i bought an enduro and a 5 day pass it is enough. Not a cow, i dont like to be milked Whip Whip Whip Dead Horse Dead Horse

Complains about the chair lift but buys a pass. Makes sense!

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 18:02 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Ba1rog wrote:

Complains about the chair lift but buys a pass. Makes sense!

Chillax fanboy, i didnt pay for it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013505
Mobile Version of Website