The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 11:57 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
nickel wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
Big wasp nest on in deep on the first rocky chute. The one with the optional drop to the left. My friend got stung on it. We told the staff about it but they didn't really seem to care. Keep it in mind if you're riding in deep.

Did you actually see where the nest was? We've been dealing with one every day or two, sometimes multiples. Bad wasp season this fall for sure. Public advisory against walking around willy nilly through the forest, solid chance of getting stung.

We saw the wasps come out of a hole right next to the rocks on the right side of the chute. We didn't get close enough to see exactly where. There had to be over 100, big cloud of them came out.

Sweeeet, sounds like a good one. We found a stump a little over a week ago in creekside that was composed entirely of wasps. Must've been a thousand if there was a dozen. We'll try to go deal with it.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 19:43 Quote
nickel wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
nickel wrote:

Did you actually see where the nest was? We've been dealing with one every day or two, sometimes multiples. Bad wasp season this fall for sure. Public advisory against walking around willy nilly through the forest, solid chance of getting stung.

We saw the wasps come out of a hole right next to the rocks on the right side of the chute. We didn't get close enough to see exactly where. There had to be over 100, big cloud of them came out.

Sweeeet, sounds like a good one. We found a stump a little over a week ago in creekside that was composed entirely of wasps. Must've been a thousand if there was a dozen. We'll try to go deal with it.

Holy crap lol. I'm a heavy equipment operator and have dug into giant wasps nests with an excavator. Fun times.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 17:05 Quote
anyone heard things about 1199? Was supposed to open this fall - pushed back due to COVID?

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 18:48 Quote
Sun2306 wrote:
anyone heard things about 1199? Was supposed to open this fall - pushed back due to COVID?

Correct. Still lots to do and many things had to hit the cutting room floor when covid hit. Postponed but not canceled.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 7:02 Quote
nickel wrote:
Sun2306 wrote:

Correct. Still lots to do and many things had to hit the cutting room floor when covid hit. Postponed but not canceled.

Still good to hear, would rather have it done properly later than rushed out.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 20:57 Quote
I had a bit of a tumble Sunday and fear my season may be over. I have 4 days left on a 10 day pass and I am guessing that the 10 day pass is not transferable, refundable nor does it carry over until next year?

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 6:27 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
I had a bit of a tumble Sunday and fear my season may be over. I have 4 days left on a 10 day pass and I am guessing that the 10 day pass is not transferable, refundable nor does it carry over until next year?

SOL from my experience last summer

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 14:34 Quote
Poachninja wrote:

Sell the rest of the days to someone that looks similar to you with a mask on.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 8:16 Quote
Hello everyone,

I’m not sure if this has been covered but I am looking to head up to Whistler this weekend and was wondering if the Sea to Sky five-o will be inspecting tires when the temp is over 20 degrees? I will switch them if needed but It’s way to early to have winter tires on in the lower mainland (IMHO).

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 8:37 Quote
Very unlikely; they only tend to be there when there is significant snowfall on the road itself.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 8:45 Quote
Usually mid October they are checking tires. Even in warm weather. They do this to ensure people have proper tires BEFORE the snow and cold temps start. You should be fine until closing day with all seasons.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 9:12 Quote
I have lived in Whistler for 9 years and even drove buses 5 days a week up and down the sea to sky and have never had my tires checked, I think they only rarely do it on weekends with lots of snow. I've only been through a check point on the road to Mt Washington once.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 10:21 Quote
I saw a check on a Friday in early October last year. Fortunately we were going the other way. The line-up stretched for literally miles. And the weather wasn't even close to freezing. I think they do it once per year, early, to scare the crap out of people.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 12:55 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
I have lived in Whistler for 9 years and even drove buses 5 days a week up and down the sea to sky and have never had my tires checked, I think they only rarely do it on weekends with lots of snow. I've only been through a check point on the road to Mt Washington once.

Interesting. I ride alot in squamish and have had my tires checked in late oct and early Nov. Not a big deal as I have snow flake rated all terrains. Tires were checked between Vancouver and squamish. I don't go further than squamish when the park closes

Posted: Oct 4, 2020 at 21:49 Quote
Does anyone know if you need to reload your bike park pass once you've used up all your days? Or do you just scan on the day you're at the park to be automatically charged.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009373
Mobile Version of Website