The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Oct 4, 2020 at 23:12 Quote
wizard604 wrote:
Does anyone know if you need to reload your bike park pass once you've used up all your days? Or do you just scan on the day you're at the park to be automatically charged.

If your credit card is linked to your pass then it will automatically charge when you scan.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 9:32 Quote
Hey I was at the bike park recently and on I believe the trail schleyer there is a small rock drop with a yellow sign stating drop. I noticed a plaque on a tree there. Does anyone know what the story behind the plaque is? Did gnarly bob die on that feature?

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 14:47 Quote
The Lost Lake trails are feeling the shoulder season. Had them almost completely to myself.

And I did the rock roll at the top of Toads for the first time. Okay, it's not a big deal if you're a black trails rider, but I sure felt like king of the mountain for a moment there.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 17:35 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
I have lived in Whistler for 9 years and even drove buses 5 days a week up and down the sea to sky and have never had my tires checked, I think they only rarely do it on weekends with lots of snow. I've only been through a check point on the road to Mt Washington once.

I wish they would be like CDOT in California and actually check/enforce every time it snows. Since 2010 I have been through one tire check ever north of Alice Lake. That is across hundreds of ski days from Vancouver mostly as a weekend warrior, including many of those crazy weekend storm mornings where it snows down to sea level and idiots are sliding all over the place, getting stuck on Furry Creak hill etc.

I guess the problem with tire checks is M&S bullshit passes so how much value is there in even doing it.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 18:52 Quote
gramboh wrote:

I guess the problem with tire checks is M&S bullshit passes so how much value is there in even doing it.

Think of all the tax dollars and eco fees from all those sets of winter tires sold in the Vancouver area to people who, after spending the money on snow tires, still won't even drive the minute they see a snowflake hit the ground! Get the law to put the fear in 'em, and watch that money come rolling in.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 21:24 Quote
gramboh wrote:
kevin267 wrote:
I have lived in Whistler for 9 years and even drove buses 5 days a week up and down the sea to sky and have never had my tires checked, I think they only rarely do it on weekends with lots of snow. I've only been through a check point on the road to Mt Washington once.

I wish they would be like CDOT in California and actually check/enforce every time it snows. Since 2010 I have been through one tire check ever north of Alice Lake. That is across hundreds of ski days from Vancouver mostly as a weekend warrior, including many of those crazy weekend storm mornings where it snows down to sea level and idiots are sliding all over the place, getting stuck on Furry Creak hill etc.

It's surprising the sea to sky doesn't get checked daily. They do at Seymour. Can't even shuttle in winter without snow tires. I agree the M+S is bullshit. Big difference between my M+S all terrains and my snow flake rated all terrains.

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 11:26 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
gramboh wrote:
kevin267 wrote:

It's surprising the sea to sky doesn't get checked daily. They do at Seymour. Can't even shuttle in winter without snow tires. I agree the M+S is bullshit. Big difference between my M+S all terrains and my snow flake rated all terrains.

I'm from northern AB and lived in the interior before moving to Vancouver. A good set of M+S tires are usually actually ok in winter conditions, its just that most people are on shit tires that are worn to hell. Good M+S actually make sense for Van where 90% of the time you are on pavement, which wears true winters real quick. Also having two sets of tires when you live in a tiny East Van apartment sucks. If you're regularly hitting the Coquihalla or Duffy pretty much every weekend then ya you should def have some true winters, but for the odd trip to whistler M+S are fine imo.

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 13:23 Quote
M+S are fine for capable drivers, but well, you know... good luck with that. Shit heads screw it up for everyone else.

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 17:22 Quote
As far as M+S go it really depends on the tire. They can either be nearly as grippy as snowflake tires or they can absolutely dangerous.

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 16:38 Quote
It would be sick if people stopped poaching closed trails. Lately this has been savage in Creekside with people riding through freshly reworked mud and full on Tree Felling Closures. Please just stop doing it. If you absolutely must ride out to creekside and all the trail options in front of you are closed, ride down the ski run of SFT. Stay off the closed trails. We're going to start pulling passes as someone is going to get seriously hurt, maybe us.

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 18:40 Quote
nickel wrote:
It would be sick if people stopped poaching closed trails. Lately this has been savage in Creekside with people riding through freshly reworked mud and full on Tree Felling Closures. Please just stop doing it. If you absolutely must ride out to creekside and all the trail options in front of you are closed, ride down the ski run of SFT. Stay off the closed trails. We're going to start pulling passes as someone is going to get seriously hurt, maybe us.

I really hate selfish riders that do this. Happens a lot on the north shore as well.

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 22:00 Quote
nickel wrote:

Good. Do it.

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 14:31 Quote
nickel wrote:

I commented somewhere else on this, it should be a 1 year ban from WB, same as skiing in an AC zone/PC! Putting themselves and machine operators/trail crew/tree fallers etc. at risk as well as ruining work... f*cking idiots, and it probably isn't tourists.

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 14:33 Quote
gramboh wrote:
nickel wrote:

I commented somewhere else on this, it should be a 1 year ban from WB, same as skiing in an AC zone/PC! Putting themselves and machine operators/trail crew/tree fallers etc. at risk as well as ruining work... f*cking idiots, and it probably isn't tourists.

lots of people posting ride logs on TF and Strava over the past couple weeks riding creekside trails, probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out who they are....

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 16:35 Quote
Anyone know if Trials riders are allowed up Howler? Someone on TF saw one up there and was wondering about it

EDIT: Todd just posted on TF about it, thanks.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009624
Mobile Version of Website