The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 8:48 Quote
hmm I remember Fitz line 15min wait on weekdays. 1 hour+ on weekends. Full patios at every restaurant with a wait to sit down. The lakes so busy the RMOW had to crack down on distancing and parking. And the property management company I work for had record high rentals in July and Aug.

Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 15:00 Quote
StanMarsh wrote:
hmm I remember Fitz line 15min wait on weekdays. 1 hour+ on weekends. Full patios at every restaurant with a wait to sit down. The lakes so busy the RMOW had to crack down on distancing and parking. And the property management company I work for had record high rentals in July and Aug.
The waits were due to staying with in your own bubble for the chair. Instead of packing 4 to a chair. Never waited an hour.
It was a lot quieter in the village with no tour buses unloading and Americans Visting. So yes it was quieter.

Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 15:01 Quote
StanMarsh wrote:

Also patios had to rearrange to less tables for covid protocols. Less tables less seating less people able to eat, so yes we had to wait as well.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 15:10 Quote
Less busy, maybe. Quiet? Definitely not. Weekend traffic was within 10% of previous summers. Walking down the stroll you wouldn't have known there was a pandemic on most sunny weekends.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 17:31 Quote
StanMarsh wrote:

1 hour?! I was there every weekend. It was always 15 to 20 mins. Maybe it just felt like an hour lol.

Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 18:07 Quote
kingtut87 wrote:
Less busy, maybe. Quiet? Definitely not. Weekend traffic was within 10% of previous summers. Walking down the stroll you wouldn't have known there was a pandemic on most sunny weekends.

in 8 years last summer was definitively quiet compared to other years ! not as many people walking the stroll. Cant be like past year since there is no tourist..

Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 20:51 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
StanMarsh wrote:

1 hour?! I was there every weekend. It was always 15 to 20 mins. Maybe it just felt like an hour lol.

Agreed!!!

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 1:11 Quote
Haven't seen numbers but it def ramped up through the summer as restrictions and general societal attitudes re: COVID-19 relaxed. I was there Canada Day weekend and it was a ghost town (bike park, village and valley trails/Pemberton).

re: earlier question from the dude from TO... I dunno, personally if you are moving to BC for biking and are working remotely I would 100% live in Whistler as first choice if you have any interest in skiing/snowboarding (and if you can afford it), Squamish second and North Van distant third. Cypress is dope as is Fromme/Seymour but come on, Whistler or Squamish on their own are leagues better from a trail variety, # of trails, alpine access, bike park etc. etc. and not having to drive in traffic...

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 9:29 Quote
Are non-resident folks gonna be allowed to go to whistler this year?

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 12:31 Quote
Likely not but it’s possible by the end of the season. Right now you can’t drive across the border for recreation. If you fly in there are pretty substantial quarantine rules.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/isolation

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 1:36 Quote
Moved my lodge booking to the next year. Again. This pandemic crap can't last forever

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
Wonder if the bike park opening day will get pushed back due to the new travel ban

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 8:55 Quote
Chuvak wrote:
Moved my lodge booking to the next year. Again. This pandemic crap can't last forever

We just got more restrictions in BC again, so smart move. Hope you can make it out next year!

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 9:40 Quote
Chuvak wrote:

Luckily Whistler isn't in Ontario. Only 8 more lockdowns till Christmas Beer

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020343
Mobile Version of Website