The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
O+
Posted: May 10, 2021 at 10:25 Quote
Just walked by base of fitz and there's lots of work going on; family cross, end of a line and heart of darkness getting built. Looks like the platform of the lift is getting started. Dunno when the park opens but that's still awesome to see!

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 17:45 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
Just walked by base of fitz and there's lots of work going on; family cross, end of a line and heart of darkness getting built. Looks like the platform of the lift is getting started. Dunno when the park opens but that's still awesome to see!

Big Grin

O+
Posted: May 10, 2021 at 20:13 Quote
kyleluvsdh wrote:
gramboh wrote:
I think someone in the know (nickel maybe?) said they had started on it last year or year before and it's in progress. Maybe got delayed by other priorities for COVID last year? I'd also expect they would open it the same year as holding a race on it, i.e. fresh track premiering at a race is pretty cool. Maybe they run BC cups as UCI test events for a couple years and then pray for WCDH?

Makes sense, I really hope that they'll have it open to the public when it's finished. Smile It would be unfortunate if it was only open for races :/. Many of us have been looking forward to seeing and riding this trail since 2018 when they announced it on Pinkbike. I really really hope it's publicly accessible, just give it the appropriate trail rating, and those who shouldn't ride it, generally won't Big Grin . But please please please make it publicly accessible! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I'm so excited for whats to come for Stevie Smith's 1199 track! It's going to be sick! Big Grin
And yeah Whistler needs a WCDH for sure! As long as we get to keep Mont-Sainte-Anne on the circuit as well as have a Whistler WC, YES PLEASE that would be EPIC! I'm sure many would agree. 2 sick Canadian stops would be so dope!!!!! Big Grin \m/

I'd expect they will do what other venues do and have parts of the track open to the public and then close lines/sections deemed to dangerous or not sustainable for public riding. Pretty sure that's the logic on the Canadian Open track with Hecklers rock and the chute in the trees (obviously the road gaps couldn't be open to public).

O+
Posted: May 23, 2021 at 13:37 Quote
Looks like we have an opening date confirmed. June 12

https://www.tbsbikeparts.com/blog/bc-bike-parks-opening-dates-2021/

Posted: May 23, 2021 at 13:54 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:

That date was pulled from the Garbo zone lift info
Fitz is still showing Whistler Village Gondola (lower line) TBD - June 11
I will wait till a actual confirm date from WBP before believing June 12.
Doesn’t seem unreasonable for that date.
But if they get the go ahead I think May 29 might happen.

Posted: May 23, 2021 at 18:11 Quote
alanabailey wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

That date was pulled from the Garbo zone lift info
Fitz is still showing Whistler Village Gondola (lower line) TBD - June 11
I will wait till a actual confirm date from WBP before believing June 12.
Doesn’t seem unreasonable for that date.
But if they get the go ahead I think May 29 might happen.

Im not sure about a May opening, more like june 5, presuming that the resort is allowed to open.

Posted: May 23, 2021 at 20:38 Quote
I'd be grateful for a late June opening

O+
Posted: May 23, 2021 at 20:51 Quote
I'm dying for park laps. I have a brand new supreme sitting in the garage

Posted: May 24, 2021 at 8:58 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
I'm dying for park laps. I have a brand new supreme sitting in the garage

Yeah. i have a freshly built up maiden with carbon everything and fox dhx2 boxxer world cup and code rsc brakes. Yesterday was supposed to be opening day if it wasnt for stupid corvid19..

O+
Posted: May 24, 2021 at 9:17 Quote
Not a new bike but I have had a new custom damper put into my boxxer and I’m dying to try it out in whistler.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2021 at 14:15 Quote
Unclear to me how the new rules today (and June 15/July 1 plans) will apply to bike parks. Anyone have any insights?

Posted: May 25, 2021 at 14:47 Quote
xTwoSnakesx wrote:
Unclear to me how the new rules today (and June 15/July 1 plans) will apply to bike parks. Anyone have any insights?

Definitely Won’t open till after June 15.
I guess it’s a wait and see.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2021 at 14:56 Quote
xTwoSnakesx wrote:

people in rest of the province will be able to travel to whistler after the 15th.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2021 at 18:26 Quote
alanabailey wrote:
xTwoSnakesx wrote:

Lots of rumours floating around town, I won’t be surprised when it opens before the 15th

O+
Posted: May 25, 2021 at 18:51 Quote
alanabailey wrote:
xTwoSnakesx wrote:

Based on what exactly?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016570
Mobile Version of Website