The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: May 31, 2021 at 19:21 Quote
Zaeius wrote:
leelau wrote:
Opening Day is always busy.

This is the first opening day I have missed in 8+ years. They have been getting progressively busier over the years but never 1.5 hours and a line past Lululemon. That is crazy. Glad work forced me to hold off until later this week.

Hopefully they get the singles line a bit more sorted so they can increase the efficiency.

Are you just making that up? Where did you hear 1.5hrs? You weren’t even there today. The line went to lulu a few times last year. I timed those line ups out of curiosity, like 45 mins tops. It will move faster this year with singles doubling up. And once garbo and creekside opens it will move faster still. I say enjoy this year because next year the border and domestic travel opens up. Combined with 50-100% YoY growth of the sport, next year is going to be an absolute zoo.

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 19:33 Quote
The quotes are weird so to be clear it wasn't me guessing 1.5 hours. The lineup was approx 45 minutes so your estimate is correct.

RideThicccBC wrote:
Zaeius wrote:
leelau wrote:
Opening Day is always busy.

This is the first opening day I have missed in 8+ years. They have been getting progressively busier over the years but never 1.5 hours and a line past Lululemon. That is crazy. Glad work forced me to hold off until later this week.

Hopefully they get the singles line a bit more sorted so they can increase the efficiency.

Are you just making that up? Where did you hear 1.5hrs? You weren’t even there today. The line went to lulu a few times last year. I timed those line ups out of curiosity, like 45 mins tops. It will move faster this year with singles doubling up. And once garbo and creekside opens it will move faster still. I say enjoy this year because next year the border and domestic travel opens up. Combined with 50-100% YoY growth of the sport, next year is going to be an absolute zoo.

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 21:05 Quote
Nonsmoker wrote:
If I'm gonna wait that long in a line up, I want more trails open. So good to have the park running. Hopefully this is a step back to normalcy.

Crab hits, merchant, rutabaga and lowest Canadian open and upper a-line were pretty much the only things closed. What was open was, imo, pretty darn good.

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 4:44 Quote
We got in line at 9:15. Chair started loading at 9:45. We finished our day at 7:15. No lunch break. Got in 8 laps. The longest lines were after 4:30. It stretched all the way past Crystal Lodge to the edge of Village Square. Longest wait was the last lap at about an hour 30. Conditions were perfect.

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 11:50 Quote
Line up maybe 5 to 10 mins today.

https://whistlerpeak.com/cams/village/

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 12:32 Quote
Never go opening day unless you enjoy socializing in lines!

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 6:21 Quote
Any recommended whistler bike shops? looking to rent DH a few days and trail/enduro on other days. Looking for good bikes - but do not need elite.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 9:09 Quote
JLJLJL wrote:
Any recommended whistler bike shops? looking to rent DH a few days and trail/enduro on other days. Looking for good bikes - but do not need elite.
Evolution, fanatik, coastal culture are all fairly well regarded. Evolution rents v10s, as does coastal culture. Fanatik has aurum HSP and old gen demos.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 9:18 Quote
How greasy was Garbo on Saturday before the rains came in? Looked like there was still a bunch of snow up at the top.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 17:19 Quote
Didn't realize Garbo was already open

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 18:27 Quote
Are there lockers to rent in the village for the bike park?

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 9:02 Quote
officersdr wrote:
Are there lockers to rent in the village for the bike park?

Also wondering if anyone has any recommendations for storage lockers for bikes (for overnight, etc.). I've heard lots of stories of bikes getting stolen in Whistler, even from "secure" storage areas in hotels, etc. It looks like our AirBnB doesn't allow bikes inside, so looking to see what the options are for overnight and non-riding times.

Cheers.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 9:25 Quote
Give a call to Garbanzo Bike and Bean - they used to allow for storage overnight (for a fee).

As to lockers, there are small ones (for $$) below the Summit Hotel by the washrooms.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 9:31 Quote
I dunno if they still have it, but the GLC bike rental place used to offer overnight & hourly secure bike storage.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
Nonsmoker wrote:
I dunno if they still have it, but the GLC bike rental place used to offer overnight & hourly secure bike storage.

I think they moved that service to a bike “valet“ by the washrooms under longhorn, but I don’t remember seeing it last season with all the Covid restrictions. I remember the switch from “storage” to “valet”, though, because the price doubled.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010060
Mobile Version of Website