The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 8:10 Quote
nickmalysh wrote:
Does anyone travel from LA to Whistler by car?

I have done the reverse drive a few times and lots of times as far south as Santa Cruz/Aptos.

The drive is pretty easy, just long. Do try and time it so you are going through Portland -> Seattle at a decent time as I have managed to be stuck in traffic that entire length of highway, which added a significant amount of time.

Did you have questions on the drive? Or were you looking for a ride Smile

Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 10:05 Quote
reid-garner wrote:
nickmalysh wrote:

I have done the reverse drive a few times and lots of times as far south as Santa Cruz/Aptos.

The drive is pretty easy, just long. Do try and time it so you are going through Portland -> Seattle at a decent time as I have managed to be stuck in traffic that entire length of highway, which added a significant amount of time.

thnx for the reply, I'm looking for the advice, will be driving with family of 5 with 5 bikes;
Plan to spend some days discovering Oregon/Washington during the drive as well ( as a tourist or biker depends what will be best on weather conditions)

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 16:45 Quote
nickmalysh wrote:
reid-garner wrote:
nickmalysh wrote:

thnx for the reply, I'm looking for the advice, will be driving with family of 5 with 5 bikes;
Plan to spend some days discovering Oregon/Washington during the drive as well ( as a tourist or biker depends what will be best on weather conditions)

What do you need to to know? I've driven from Vancouver to mexico and back.

One thing I'd be very worried about is leaving your bikes unattended on your vehicle. Doesn't matter which lock you have, they will get stolen. Especially in Vancouver. Bike theft is a huge problem.

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 22:27 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:

If you are taking your time, the 101 is quite nice (or 1 down closer to you). It is much slower though. If you really want the scenic route, you can take a ferry from port angeles to Victoria, and get some riding in on the island too.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 9:25 Quote
bigquotesOne thing I'd be very worried about is leaving your bikes unattended on your vehicle

This, and not just in Vancouver. I've found traveling with bikes on the car sorta stressful for playing tourist, hopefully you can manage that anxiety about losing your bike better than I can.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 11:20 Quote
fgiraffe wrote:
bigquotesOne thing I'd be very worried about is leaving your bikes unattended on your vehicle

This, and not just in Vancouver. I've found traveling with bikes on the car sorta stressful for playing tourist, hopefully you can manage that anxiety about losing your bike better than I can.

I never leave mine out of sight when traveling. Bike theft anxiety is through the roof for me.

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 20:49 Quote
reid-garner wrote:
nickmalysh wrote:

Drive I believe straight forward, question about border line? How long is that in both directions?

Where to live in the village with kids? Does they offer parking spot since whistler pedestrian mostly ;

Any groceries in the village?

Thank you,
Traveling with the bikes always hassle since u cannot leave them for long

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 21:11 Quote
nickmalysh wrote:
reid-garner wrote:
nickmalysh wrote:

Drive I believe straight forward, question about border line? How long is that in both directions?

Where to live in the village with kids? Does they offer parking spot since whistler pedestrian mostly ;

Thank you,

Look up the requirements for crossing the border before you go. Currently the border is still closed and they are unsure if it will open this year to non essential travel. Don't make any plans just yet.

Also you mentioned "cannot leave them for long." Don't leave them out of sight at all. Not even for a few mins. It's not uncommon for people to have their bike stolen when stopping to use a bathroom or running into a store to grab groceries.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 22:23 Quote
nickmalysh wrote:
reid-garner wrote:
nickmalysh wrote:

Thank you,

Most places charge for parking. So yes there parking depending on the hotel, Airbnb or whatever you find.
Couple of groceries/liquor shops in the village…no problem for that.
Bike storage will be in your rental place, check on that to make sure the bikes are secure.

O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2021 at 11:20 Quote
bigquotesCurrently the border is still closed and they are unsure if it will open this year to non essential travel. Don't make any plans just yet.

Still true, no official change yet. But rumblings from Thursday that the border may open to fully vaccinated Americans by mid-August!

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/fully-vaccinated-americans-can-enter-canada-as-of-mid-august/

Clean up those homegrown braking bumps, time for some American-made braking bumps!

O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2021 at 13:51 Quote
If I wanted to do LOTS and start from the Sirloin/Darwin's route, where is the best place to park? Am I allowed to park at rainbow park or is there somewhere better that isn't pay parking? Thanks!

Posted: Jul 17, 2021 at 13:56 Quote
tvan5 wrote:
If I wanted to do LOTS and start from the Sirloin/Darwin's route, where is the best place to park? Am I allowed to park at rainbow park or is there somewhere better that isn't pay parking? Thanks!

Imo Rainbow is best as you can end at a lake. Some will park at Stonebridge which is also fine

O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2021 at 13:57 Quote
leelau wrote:
tvan5 wrote:

Imo Rainbow is best as you can end at a lake. Some will park at Stonebridge which is also fine

Awesome thanks! there is street parking at stonebridge then?

O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2021 at 14:34 Quote
Rainbow is paid now, maybe has a maximum time too? Not sure. Stonebridge is pretty good though it can get really busy in the summer. Creekside would be a safe option and really not much further to get across at Nita lake and up the hill.

Posted: Jul 17, 2021 at 16:16 Quote
tvan. Rainbow is paid parking. Stonebridge does have some space constraints but there's lots of street parking.

Creekside is actually a good idea. You can easily ride to Darwin from Creekside and maybe park around Nita Lake to start.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021590
Mobile Version of Website