The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 21:43 Quote
cmarwood wrote:
How's the park looking these days? Heading home to the island on Friday was thinking I'd take a detour through whistler and ride Saturday. Are they making singles ride the chair alone still?

How’s it looking, it’s dry and dusty as all get out, 40+ days without significant rain, a couple 15 min sprinkles, but nothing to get the dirt wet

Chairs are being filled up, singles lines are back, huge crowds haven’t arrived.

Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 22:09 Quote
cmarwood wrote:
How's the park looking these days?

if it doesnt rain soon it's going to look like kicking horse soon...(that one time i went there in august).

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 0:54 Quote
pray for rain!!!

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 8:45 Quote
gramboh wrote:
pray for rain!!!

not this week...another heat wave week

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 8:47 Quote
I know, I'm messed up but I love riding dusty loose conditions. However, rain is much needed for the fires. Hopefully soon.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 9:49 Quote
Don't worry, I'm getting out there soon, and it'll be bound to piss hard every day that I'm there.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 16:21 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
Don't worry, I'm getting out there soon, and it'll be bound to piss hard every day that I'm there.

Thank you sir. Hurry up and get over here

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 15:05 Quote
…possible boarder agents strike action come August 9th…

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 14:09 Quote
Is it just me or has anyone noticed a large number of people stopping/standing on black and double black trails? Even though it wasn't my fault, I feel bad for knocking a kid to the ground yesterday on no joke. He was standing in the middle of the trail right after the tight right hand turn before the wooden roller coaster. Blind corner so I had no idea he was there and I was going too fast to stop. Brakes did nothing on the moon dust. That same lap I finished with freight train. Last jump near the dirt merchant entrance there was a group hanging out about 20 ft after the jump in the middle of the trail. I swerved left to avoid them but one of the girls panicked and ran across in my way, I just barely missed her. No idea why she ran in the same direction I was going lol. Similar incidents have been happening every time I ride the park.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 14:37 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Is it just me or has anyone noticed a large number of people stopping/standing on black and double black trails? Even though it wasn't my fault, I feel bad for knocking a kid to the ground yesterday on no joke. He was standing in the middle of the trail right after the tight right hand turn before the wooden roller coaster. Blind corner so I had no idea he was there and I was going too fast to stop. Brakes did nothing on the moon dust. That same lap I finished with freight train. Last jump near the dirt merchant entrance there was a group hanging out about 20 ft after the jump in the middle of the trail. I swerved left to avoid them but one of the girls panicked and ran across in my way, I just barely missed her. No idea why she ran in the same direction I was going lol. Similar incidents have been happening every time I ride the park.

People are like deer/squirrels sometimes and panic run back and forth lol. I almost ran in to a kid going up the trail because he thought his buddies went down a different one... fricken so scary especially with conditions not being favorable for grippin' the brakes lol.

I'm guessing there's a lot of newer riders out this year and these things will happen. Should be more signage maybe telling people of the dangers of standing on a trail. They read "don't stop on trail" and think its just some silly rule, but if they were aware of the dangers then maybe.... or maybe I'm being too easy on people, and they just need to stop being idiots lol.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 14:45 Quote
My favourite was riding A line and about to hit the rock drop when all of a sudden a head pops up from it, a guy was basically climbing straight up the rock drop. I slammed on the brakes and stopped before the drop... He said 'oh sorry I didn't hear you'. Maybe I should stop maintaining my bike so it rattles nice and loud for safety haha.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 14:51 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
My favourite was riding A line and about to hit the rock drop when all of a sudden a head pops up from it, a guy was basically climbing straight up the rock drop. I slammed on the brakes and stopped before the drop... He said 'oh sorry I didn't hear you'. Maybe I should stop maintaining my bike so it rattles nice and loud for safety haha.

Wtf! Now that's just a complete lack of common sense. I've almost hit someone climbing up the famous photo spot on in deep. This year is especially bad though. Worse than I've ever experienced.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 14:58 Quote
I haven't had problems in the park recently. Early season there were some looky loos on the tech trails (Schleyer - Joyride) but nothing in the past while. Having said that, I've been out on Creekside and the alpine - accessed trails lately where there's not that many people

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 15:05 Quote
leelau wrote:
I haven't had problems in the park recently. Early season there were some looky loos on the tech trails (Schleyer - Joyride) but nothing in the past while. Having said that, I've been out on Creekside and the alpine - accessed trails lately where there's not that many people

I guess it's fair though, gotta look before you just send blind jumps/jumps haha. Just better ways to go about looking at features... mainly by not standing in the middle of them lol.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 15:12 Quote
leelau wrote:

That's fine. I still stop and look on the more gnarly trails in fitz like schleyer and lower whistler dh. Lots of line choices. But I'm always out of the way and out of sight so I don't panic other riders. Having a sit down in the middle of a tight trail isn't ideal lol. I also only pull over to stop when it's safe. If someone is behind me I keep going.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011720
Mobile Version of Website