The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 15:58 Quote
Oh for sure ThunderC and Tvan. I'm definitely not complaining about the odd person who wants to look at the In Deep rock roll for eg before sending it. And you're both right in your assumption that they were off to the side and didn't impede. Perhaps I've just been lucky. Definitely haven't had collisions with anything other than trees and rocks - ie the usual

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 16:34 Quote
leelau wrote:
Oh for sure ThunderC and Tvan. I'm definitely not complaining about the odd person who wants to look at the In Deep rock roll for eg before sending it. And you're both right in your assumption that they were off to the side and didn't impede. Perhaps I've just been lucky. Definitely haven't had collisions with anything other than trees and rocks - ie the usual

Those damn trees are the real threat!

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 8:59 Quote
so border opens to US Aug 9: is that like a yankee whismas, or whismas 2.0, with big lineups, etc.? or not until the following weekend? or not at all because you have 'crankworks season' conditions, brake bumps and moon dust?

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 10:01 Quote
timvan wrote:
so border opens to US Aug 9: is that like a yankee whismas, or whismas 2.0, with big lineups, etc.? or not until the following weekend? or not at all because you have 'crankworks season' conditions, brake bumps and moon dust?

Considering this is a first this has ever happened, no one knows. We'll have to wait and see.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
timvan wrote:

Considering this is a first this has ever happened, no one knows. We'll have to wait and see.

I'll be there in a few weeks to find out as well too! Hopefully it isn't too crowded, all of our ride days will be weekdays.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 10:36 Quote
Tallboy97 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
timvan wrote:

I'll be there in a few weeks to find out as well too! Hopefully it isn't too crowded, all of our ride days will be weekdays.

Welcome back. It has not been busy on weekdays. If you do happen to go on a weekend then take the time to explore some other lesser- known rides - eg RDS

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 20:35 Quote
Boarder opening wont make much difference imo. Americans will need to take covid tests before entering and before returning and lots of hoops to jump through. Doubt many will be making day trips or coming just for the weekend.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 10:35 Quote
StanMarsh wrote:
Boarder opening wont make much difference imo. Americans will need to take covid tests before entering and before returning and lots of hoops to jump through. Doubt many will be making day trips or coming just for the weekend.

Kinda my thoughts too, plus they have to be fully vaccinated... not many Americans are from my understanding. Sounds like a pain in the ass to cross the border even if you are fully vaccinated tbh. And with cases rising in the US, who knows if borders will actually open?

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 17:23 Quote
[/Quote]Kinda my thoughts too, plus they have to be fully vaccinated... not many Americans are from my understanding. Sounds like a pain in the ass to cross the border even if you are fully vaccinated tbh. And with cases rising in the US, who knows if borders will actually open?[/Quote]

My family (American) is coming up for two weeks in September. The actual process for boarder crossing isn’t that complicated. The website is pretty straightforward. Getting a test in Seattle is simple. But I do agree with the risk that the boarder might not open or close early. To mitigate that we bought trip insurance that covered a boarder closure. Whenever we do international biking trips we get supplemental insurance for emergency evacs and random trip problems. This insurance covered boarders and everything else for $160 for all of us for 16 days.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 17:26 Quote
Surprised how dead the trails are today. No lines. Hardly anyone riding

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 23:24 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:

I think it is because it was too hot and ppl prefer to go to the lake.

Quick question a car run over my bike and I in Whistler, what is the best place for bike inspection in Whistler / Vancouver.

Idk if I gonna contact icbc, or ask them to pay or going to court

I have some damage on my frame and my fork is rattling.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 23:39 Quote
Ba1rog wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Quick question a car run over my bike and I in Whistler, what is the best place for bike inspection in Whistler / Vancouver.

Oh no! I thought someone was going to run over my bike today in the parking lot but they stopped. I would go through icbc first. See what they say. If they will cover the repairs definitely go that route. I don't trust people to pay privately.

I think any shop can help you out with telling you what needs to be done

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 0:24 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Ba1rog wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Oh no! I thought someone was going to run over my bike today in the parking lot but they stopped. I would go through icbc first. See what they say. If they will cover the repairs definitely go that route. I don't trust people to pay privately.

I think any shop can help you out with telling you what needs to be done

Thanks man !It happened to me near the creekside parking lot. I had damage on my Scott gambler frame and end up on the car. I was walking not even biking ... ICBC gonna be amazing... idk if they cover bike damages very well.

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 1:11 Quote
They cover 3rd party damage on the person's policy that harmed you or your things be those bike, car or injury. If they have to make a claim it is likely to affect their future payments if it is 250$ for a repair of 7500$ for a new bike. I would look into this and make sure you don't sell yourself short. If it is 110% clearly nothing that will affect your bike then sure just take the repair cost. But remember bike shops are not actually trained to guarantee your bike is not internally damaged. You would have to go to a professional carbon repair person and even most of those don't have the microscopes necessary to say for sure. I would err on the side of caution and get a new bike if at all in question. Assuming of course you can get a bike before end of the next 1 - 2 years

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 18:09 Quote
leelau wrote:
Tallboy97 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Welcome back. It has not been busy on weekdays. If you do happen to go on a weekend then take the time to explore some other lesser- known rides - eg RDS

Get back from London around the middle of the month and I'm praying to whatever god floats your boat that vaccinated yanks are allowed in. I've been waiting for a long time to ride at the MTB Mecca, and I've finally got the time off to do it.

Looking forward to great laps with great people!

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008556
Mobile Version of Website