The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 13:40 Quote
Falling wrote:
Kinda my thoughts too, plus they have to be fully vaccinated... not many Americans are from my understanding. Sounds like a pain in the ass to cross the border even if you are fully vaccinated tbh. And with cases rising in the US, who knows if borders will actually open?[/Quote]

My family (American) is coming up for two weeks in September. The actual process for boarder crossing isn’t that complicated. The website is pretty straightforward. Getting a test in Seattle is simple. But I do agree with the risk that the boarder might not open or close early. To mitigate that we bought trip insurance that covered a boarder closure. Whenever we do international biking trips we get supplemental insurance for emergency evacs and random trip problems. This insurance covered boarders and everything else for $160 for all of us for 16 days.[/Quote]

The website your talking about, does it outline what all you need to cross the border? Could post a link?

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 19:39 Quote
605endurbro wrote:
The website your talking about, does it outline what all you need to cross the border? Could post a link?

This is what it is for entry for Canadian citizens currently. From what I have read, it will be the same for US citizens once the border opens for us. Sounds like you need proof of vaccination, pre-travel test within 72 hours of flight with proof. Don't forget you will need a negative test prior to your flight to return to the US as well. It looks like there is a test center in the YVR airport, but who knows how long the wait for that would be prior to a flight.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 21:35 Quote
Tallboy97 wrote:
605endurbro wrote:

This is what it is for entry for Canadian citizens currently. From what I have read, it will be the same for US citizens once the border opens for us. Sounds like you need proof of vaccination, pre-travel test within 72 hours of flight with proof. Don't forget you will need a negative test prior to your flight to return to the US as well. It looks like there is a test center in the YVR airport, but who knows how long the wait for that would be prior to a flight.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully

I have done the van airport pcr test. You need to book it in advance and you get your results usually 24-48 hours after the test.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 21:43 Quote
Hey guys, I am looking for a certain kind of terrain. I saw a video about "freeriding" and the chaps were high-tailing it down these funky spire-like mountains all very sandy and dusty with a lot of very fun looking chutes where the sides had eroded. In the comment section I asked where it was and someone replied "BC, Baby!"

Any thoughts on where this could be? It looked very fun and I would like to go sometime.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 21:47 Quote
I just found something a little like it. Kamloops it is!... kinda. The part I am after is at arounf 1:17, looks amazing!

Views: 13,544    Faves: 176    Comments: 33

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 21:53 Quote
Just for reference... I am sure you have all seen this already.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 22:08 Quote
Their account suggests they’re from Kamloops and there is that kind of riding there but the terrain and river makes me think of what’s around Lilloiet, though I’ve only driven through.

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 5:50 Quote
Maybe a few of those clips were from Kamloops around the Ranch / Rose Hill area but most of that video is def not Kamloops. Williams Lake maybe, or more north?

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 6:32 Quote
rosemarywheel wrote:
Hey guys, I am looking for a certain kind of terrain. I saw a video about "freeriding" and the chaps were high-tailing it down these funky spire-like mountains all very sandy and dusty with a lot of very fun looking chutes where the sides had eroded. In the comment section I asked where it was and someone replied "BC, Baby!"

Any thoughts on where this could be? It looked very fun and I would like to go sometime.

Definitely Kamloops. I know of some secret spots in another town. Lots to explore/ride if you can get a local to show you.

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 15:43 Quote
cameronbikes wrote:
They cover 3rd party damage on the person's policy that harmed you or your things be those bike, car or injury. If they have to make a claim it is likely to affect their future payments if it is 250$ for a repair of 7500$ for a new bike. I would look into this and make sure you don't sell yourself short. If it is 110% clearly nothing that will affect your bike then sure just take the repair cost. But remember bike shops are not actually trained to guarantee your bike is not internally damaged. You would have to go to a professional carbon repair person and even most of those don't have the microscopes necessary to say for sure. I would err on the side of caution and get a new bike if at all in question. Assuming of course you can get a bike before end of the next 1 - 2 years

I would go to a bike shop that sells Scott and ask them to write a letter stating that the bike has suffered catastrophic damage from being run over by a car, and due to the high inherent risk in downhill biking they cannot state that it is safe to ride (this is true, regardless of carbon/aluminum). I would be asking ICBC for a new bike, or at the very least if it's carbon then should send it to Roberts for analysis (at their cost, including breaking down and rebuilding the bike). If it's aluminum and has any visible damage it's a no brainer.

Were you hurt/knocked down in the crash? Do not tell ICBC you are physically ok until the matter is settled. Don't lie, state what happened and that you need to speak to a doctor to ensure you are ok. Tell them you'll sign off you are physically fine and settle the claim once you know what they are doing about your bike.

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 15:46 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
rosemarywheel wrote:

Definitely Kamloops. I know of some secret spots in another town. Lots to explore/ride if you can get a local to show you.

Most of that video is Farwell Canyon. Not really a secret spot now, there's been articles/videos of pros on Pinkbike showing the name and it's a decent trek to get to. You can see it on Google Earth, pretty cool spot, have not been myself.

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 17:47 Quote
Thanks Chaps! I will write all of those names down for a later trip tup

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 18:49 Quote
gramboh wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
rosemarywheel wrote:

Most of that video is Farwell Canyon. Not really a secret spot now, there's been articles/videos of pros on Pinkbike showing the name and it's a decent trek to get to. You can see it on Google Earth, pretty cool spot, have not been myself.

Ah yes you're right. Forgot about farwell canyon. The secret stuff I'm referring to is an area past pemberton. I mean they're not really secret anymore either just not on trail forks. And it's quite the drive to shuttle them. Very dangerous. Steep and rocky. I was definitely out of my depth last time I rode there. Those steep desert scree lines in videos seem way easier than they look but far from it. Never been so terrified lol.

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 19:03 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
gramboh wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Ah yes you're right. Forgot about farwell canyon. The secret stuff I'm referring to is an area past pemberton. I mean they're not really secret anymore either just not on trail forks. And it's quite the drive to shuttle them. Very dangerous. Steep and rocky. I was definitely out of my depth last time I rode there. Those steep desert scree lines in videos seem way easier than they look but far from it. Never been so terrified lol.

Never ridden that stuff, but looks insanely tough to slow down once you get going lol.

Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 19:29 Quote
Was there a decent rain today on the mountain? I've got to wonder if it was enough to settle some of the moon-dust...or did it just create a crust?

By the way - Nickle, I was amazed at the conditions of the park when I rode on Thursday. Given the crazy-dry weather, I expected much bigger brake-bumps, holes, marbles, etc. and was pleasantly surprised and how reasonable it was. Amazing work to you all!

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011819
Mobile Version of Website